What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (34 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The answer is YES. Every time. I would never in my life want to be that person that turns away a family to have fun and experience comrodery. Actions like this make it feel corporate, very corporate. And maybe that's what they want.
That is what they want ! I was taught by men who always contributed, and would NEVER leave a man behind. That compassion and GRIT Is sadly missing here today. Thats all.

The answer is YES. Every time. I would never in my life want to be that person that turns away a family to have fun and experience comrodery. Actions like this make it feel corporate, very corporate. And maybe that's what they want.
Everyone is allowed to camp. But when you expo, it's before 7 with a paid ticket or you are out. I still like camping better. It's like expo without the guard.

Decided to join the Dorkel crew, so got me one of those fancy eBay cheapos. Looked a little funny pulling it out of the box....
View attachment 1144244
View attachment 1144245
View attachment 1144246
And no, the photo is not reversed, it mounts on the DS. And yes, I ordered the correct one but was sent this one. Already refunded me, but they refused to resend the correct one, said it was cost prohibitive and didn't even want this one sent back???

What 80 series are these used on? All the Aussie ones I've seen look like they still mount on the right side?
Yes, all the ones over here are on the RHS, makes for good intake noise when you've got the window down :D That's a HDJ79 (70 series) and my HDJ80

IMAG0352.jpg

Saw this bad boy pop up on my local CL, looks like its just right up the street from me.
toyota land cruiser
00l0l_gOtfx6QeSxT_600x450.jpg

$850 bucks....with 175K miles, would be nice to have all those extra parts if ever needed....just really don't have the space to store it. What do you think, worth the headache of stockpiling something like this?

Saw this bad boy pop up on my local CL, looks like its just right up the street from me.
toyota land cruiser
View attachment 1144479
$850 bucks....with 175K miles, would be nice to have all those extra parts if ever needed....just really don't have the space to store it. What do you think, worth the headache of stockpiling something like this?
I would if you could store it.

toyota land cruiser
View attachment 1144479

I don't see that's worth the headache given that you live on an island where you won't put on 100k miles next 5 years. Plus you don't know what headache that engine has if you need it.

These old beasts will last you a long time, just give yours some TLC.

toyota land cruiser

If you need to do a rebuild this could be worth it, especially since you live on an Island. I had several replacement used part needs when I rebuilt mine and was able to drive to a local yard or up to L.A. to get them. If you think you'll be doing a full rebuild within the next couple of years, I'd grab it. You'd have to store it properly to make it worth it though, it woudl rust away quickly in your environment without proper preservation.

If you need to do a rebuild this could be worth it, especially since you live on an Island. I had several replacement used part needs when I rebuilt mine and was able to drive to a local yard or up to L.A. to get them. If you think you'll be doing a full rebuild within the next couple of years, I'd grab it. You'd have to store it properly to make it worth it though, it woudl rust away quickly in your environment without proper preservation.
I am really hoping I do not have to do a full rebuild, but you never know! I definitely don't need it and its not really practical storage-wise, I just know I saw it and instantly wanted it. I got problems, I am in pretty deep with this whole LC addiction thing!!! Plus, if this is the first thing my hubby see's in the garage when he comes home from overseas, he's gonna think I have totally lost it! I am going to try really hard to pass on this.

I am really hoping I do not have to do a full rebuild, but you never know! I definitely don't need it and its not really practical storage-wise, I just know I saw it and instantly wanted it. I got problems, I am in pretty deep with this whole LC addiction thing!!! Plus, if this is the first thing my hubby see's in the garage when he comes home from overseas, he's gonna think I have totally lost it! I am going to try really hard to pass on this.

To store it properly you should disassemble it all, clean the parts and coat them with oil and bag them up in plastic. It would take up quite a bit of space. If I bought something like that, I'd rebuild it in the garage over time and then have it available for a later swap!

To store it properly you should disassemble it all, clean the parts and coat them with oil and bag them up in plastic. It would take up quite a bit of space. If I bought something like that, I'd rebuild it in the garage over time and then have it available for a later swap!
100% agree. I had a "spare" engine/trans for a while and did not do either as I could not find the time and was never urgent. Sold it instead and bought myself a Bushmaster. Way more fun!

toyota land cruiser
View attachment 1144479

I wouldn't. You have no idea what it's been through. If you knew the owner and knew he took care of it, great. Not a lot of 1FZ-FEs get pulled because they are running great and the owner is bored.

toyota land cruiser
View attachment 1144479

I have one in this exact condition in my garage, it came with the LC when I purchased it. I've pulled probably $150-200 worth of parts off it, on sensors alone. The plan is to separate the tranny/t-case and sell those then rebuild the engine to replace mine when it goes.

The FZ engine is awesome, it's amazingly durable and reliable. That being said, even with good PM internal components wear and it needs a rebuild every 250-300k. Not sure where yours is at, but having one you can rebuild yourself over time and have ready to go when yours dies is a good idea from many angles. Just my $.02.

16's. 315/75/16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom