What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (51 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What did you do to aim them? Or are you just happy with where the light is now? Where did you get them?

I purchased the lights on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NP...led+lights&dpPl=1&dpID=41rN69OcPHL&ref=plSrch

I took my chances with the spot beam and a flush mount to the bumper. Had the beam been high, I was going to use some thin plastic wedges I have to dial it in. Fortunately that does not seem to be necessary. The Kawell lights do not "perfectly" cover the original arb hole, but it is a pretty good fit and the additional air flow through should be helpful for cooling as my intention is to use these as daytime running lights.

Two small holes were drilled for mounting, that's it.

I'll post some night shots tonight to show the beam spread. I wanted something that shot a little wide, and the angle of the arb seemed to have done the trick.

My wife and I drove from Ohio to Overland ExpoWest this year and were lucky enough to attend ExpoEast as well this past weekend.
The rain delayed us in Tennessee because of an accident on the freeway. We ended up getting to the Expo gates at 7:12pm and they closed at 7pm. There were crew there and they said we were late and could not be checked-in. So we ended up having to get a hotel for the night. Overall it was still a lot of fun and making the best of the event proved to be the best attitude.
We were able to take the Land Rover Driving course in a $120,000 Range Rover Supercharged with our driving instructor being none other than Tim Hensley - U.S. Camel Trophy, winner 1993! He was a great guy and we loved being able to hang out with him for 45 min while he coached each of us through the massive mud pit.
Here is a link to more pictures:
https://goo.gl/photos/QKDwcqT9Mz3D2aM39

Expo a.jpg

It rained the ENTIRE time we were there.

Expo b.jpg

Roll over recovery class. Rope and pulley on the left side that you can't see, and then a winch off the right side to get the truck back on all 4 wheels.

expo c.jpg

There was one day that it stopped raining enough to actually cook a meal. Next purchase will be a rain fly/awning... I have her permission :)

Expo d.jpg

Being instructed by Tim Hensley - U.S. Camel Trophy, winner 1993... back when the Camel Trophy was awesome!

Expo e.jpg

We each were given driving time behind the wheel of the $120,000 Range Rover Supercharged. Being on street tires, it still did pretty well.

Last edited:
My wife and I drove from Ohio to Overland ExpoWest this year and were lucky enough to attend ExpoEast as well this past weekend.
The rain delayed us in Tennessee because of an accident on the freeway. We ended up getting to the Expo gates at 7:12pm and they closed at 7pm. There were crew there and they said we were late and could not be checked-in. So we ended up having to get a hotel for the night. Overall it was still a lot of fun and making the best of the event proved to be the best attitude.
We were able to take the Land Rover Driving course in a $120,000 Range Rover Supercharged with our driving instructor being none other than Tim Hensley - U.S. Camel Trophy, winner 1993! He was a great guy and we loved being able to hang out with him for 45 min while he coached each of us through the massive mud pit.
Here is a link to more pictures:
https://goo.gl/photos/QKDwcqT9Mz3D2aM39

View attachment 1143939

It rained the ENTIRE time we were there.

View attachment 1143940

Roll over recovery class. Rope and pulley on the left side that you can't see, and then a winch off the right side to get the truck back on all 4 wheels.

View attachment 1143941
There was one day that it stopped raining enough to actually cook a meal. Next purchase will be a rain fly/awning... I have her permission :)

View attachment 1143942
Being instructed by Tim Hensley - U.S. Camel Trophy, winner 1993... back when the Camel Trophy was awesome!

View attachment 1143943
We each were given driving time behind the wheel of the $120,000 Range Rover Supercharged. Being on street tires, it still did pretty good.

Refused checkin for being 12 mins late...past 7pm?! Stupid beureacratic rules like that would ruin a trip for me.

Well it was stated in all print material for the Expo that the gates would be locked at 7pm. But I was hoping if I got there that close I could squeak in. No such luck. I argued with them for 5-10 min... then went on my way.
Nice meal and a hotel room for the night isn't the worst thing that could have happened. My wife is pretty amazing at keeping a good attitude when things like this happen... so I didn't stay mad for long. Couldn't really place the blame on anyone but mother nature.

Well it was stated in all print material for the Expo that the gates would be locked at 7pm. But I was hoping if I got there that close I could squeak in. No such luck. I argued with them for 5-10 min... then went on my way.
Nice meal and a hotel room for the night isn't the worst thing that could have happened. My wife is pretty amazing at keeping a good attitude when things like this happen... so I didn't stay mad for long. Couldn't really place the blame on anyone but mother nature.

If there was someone to argue with then there was someone to let you in. If the gates were locked and no one there, then it's moot.

Yeah, but what about the guy who pulls in behind him while they're arguing. Do they have to let him in, too? Then the next guy, etc.?

Yeah, but what about the guy who pulls in behind him while they're arguing. Do they have to let him in, too? Then the next guy, etc.?

The answer is YES. Every time. I would never in my life want to be that person that turns away a family to have fun and experience comrodery. Actions like this make it feel corporate, very corporate. And maybe that's what they want.

Then you keep the people at the gate from enjoying the time with their family. I wasn't there, so don't know how these people were treating/being treated, but it seems like something that has to be looked at from more than one angle.

Glad they got to be there and enjoy the time.

Played around in Alabama Hills for a couple of days before hiking Mt Whitney. This place rocks, and the kiddo loves it.

sunrise and sunset

IMG_0661.jpg
AlabamaHills_100315.jpg

Decided to join the Dorkel crew, so got me one of those fancy eBay cheapos. Looked a little funny pulling it out of the box....
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

And no, the photo is not reversed, it mounts on the DS. And yes, I ordered the correct one but was sent this one. Already refunded me, but they refused to resend the correct one, said it was cost prohibitive and didn't even want this one sent back???

What 80 series are these used on? All the Aussie ones I've seen look like they still mount on the right side?

Hahaha, Jen, that's hilarious, they sent you the wrong one and don't even want it back. They sell it for $37, so cost of buying those is likely $10, cost of shipping is $30?

I still need to pick mine up, I've been procrastinating on the dorkel.

Hahaha, Jen, that's hilarious, they sent you the wrong one and don't even want it back. They sell it for $37, so cost of buying those is likely $10, cost of shipping is $30?

I still need to pick mine up, I've been procrastinating on the dorkel.
Yeah, they must be super cheap from the manufacturer. But it feels pretty solid, too bad it's useless....I guess now I have extra mounting hardware and an extra top unit if I ever need it.

Yeah, they must be super cheap from the manufacturer. But it feels pretty solid, too bad it's useless....I guess now I have extra mounting hardware and an extra top unit if I ever need it.

@Booger weldz proved that you could put one of these on the driver's side too and not need a roll cage.. so there is that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom