What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (72 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hauled gas cans, paint cans, the kids, their bikes, groceries, dirt, and plants, but not all at once.

Looked good while doing it.

Hose to the DS of the heater control valve was oozing, so I ordered a new HCV, thermostat and all of the hoses from CDan. I suspect some of them are original @ 200K miles :doh:

- Drained coolant
- Replaced heater control valve and hose to the DS. HCV looks OK, but hose was crumbling inside.
- Replaced small hose to the top of radiator
- Pulled DS battery & box, radiator hose to give room to get at the alternator
- Removed stock alternator in prep for Photoman alt. bracket & 130A Sequoia alternator
- Tried (and failed) to remove the pulley's from the alternators :mad: Picking up an impact wrench on the way home tonight. Any tips?
- Removed nuts on fan clutch to be replaced by a modded blue-hub.
- Ran out of time.

Also plan to work on the York install while things are apart up front.

Installed OME heavies and Doetsch Pre-runner shocks. It looks, rides and drives great. Not harsh at all, very nice ride. I am loving it so far. Thanks forum member lukefj for a great job putting these on with very little assistance from me. Your a great guy to work with and I enjoyed meeting and talking to you.

I also bench bled and installed a new brake master cylinder and bled the system. Fixed my problem of intermittent loss of brake pedal.

Replaced the worn out rear wiper blade.

I will post pictures soon in a separate thread of the lift. Higher lift than I was expecting from the worn out stock springs but much welcomed.

Serviced rear wheel bearings and replaced the seals. Been running in gear oil for quite a while, but none the worse for wear.

97FZJ80RotationDiagram.JPG

- Tried (and failed) to remove the pulley's from the alternators :mad: Picking up an impact wrench on the way home tonight. Any tips?

Got a good impact wrench (had a POS harbor freight one) and the pulleys came off like nothing! :bounce2:

Installed OME heavies and Doetsch Pre-runner shocks. It looks, rides and drives great. Not harsh at all, very nice ride. I am loving it so far. Thanks forum member lukefj for a great job putting these on with very little assistance from me. Your a great guy to work with and I enjoyed meeting and talking to you.

I also bench bled and installed a new brake master cylinder and bled the system. Fixed my problem of intermittent loss of brake pedal.

I will post pictures soon in a separate thread of the lift. Higher lift than I was expecting from the worn out stock springs but much welcomed.

Im an utter lift NOOB. How much lift will new stock shocks give you?

Ive been searching and I can tell im not going for even 2" of lift. Just a bit more height. 1 inch maybe.
Im all stock but tires are 285-75-R16. I have no issues of course just feel like shes saggin a little with 170k.

Oil change 15w-40 Chevron Delo (Costco sale), new wipers, tried to replace diff oil but couldn't remove either fill plugs.

2012-04-22_08-24-50_97.jpg

Ive been searching and I can tell im not going for even 2" of lift. Just a bit more height. 1 inch maybe.
Im all stock but tires are 285-75-R16. I have no issues of course just feel like shes saggin a little with 170k.

Shocks will give you no lift- 1" spacers and new shocks may give what you desire....

Shocks will give you no lift- 1" spacers and new shocks may give what you desire....

I went with the 30mm spacers from MAF. Easy installation and I'm happy with the results.

Took my friends wheeling for the first time and scared the bageebies out of them :)

How'd you prep those wheels Harry- what'd you shoot em with- look good-

I used graphite metallic wheel paint. Matches my brother's LX450 really well. I usually will do things the "correct" way but in this case I had a feeling I could do it easily without removing the tires or even the wheels from the rig. I did however get the wheels off of the ground so I could spin them as I painted to get into all of the nooks and crannies. I paint quite a bit and have a steady hand so sanded them down, wiped them clean with mineral spirits and let them dry for five minutes. I then masked the main area of the spokes but did not make an attempt to mask perfectly around the entire cove lip. I cleaned up any overspray quickly with mineral spirits. I'm not saying this is how you should do it but it worked very well for me and it only took two hours. I'm very pleased with the results and love the look.

Saturday:
Cleaned MAF
New air filter
Cut open charcoal canister and replaced active carbon/charcoal; JB Weld and reinstall.
Removed upper air intake.
Replaced EGR VSV
Replaced various 3mm and 5mm vacuum hoses
Adjusted throttle (gas peddle) cable (nice)
Blew a fuse!

Replaced the instrument cluster (first time gauges worked in about 4 years) installed a radio and replaced the CB. Drove kids around and ordered wheels to mount my 37s. Much needed oil change.

Last edited:
kybishop said:

I'm assuming this is the one he told me went a lot better than he thought it would.

You might want to get new set of springs also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom