What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (56 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I put a "Lokka" auto locker in my 94. The only hard part is taking the 3rd member off then lifting it up and putting it on the work bench (not to mention putting it back on)....that thing is HEAVY. The locker install part was fun and easy.

I have a second set of wheels cleaned and powder coated and also installed my new 295 BFG AT. I'm very pleased with the color. I wanted something darker than the factory raw aluminum color but not a gunmetal color. The wheel color is Cosmic Grey from Prismatic Powders.
The next day we took the new boat down to Ocean Springs Mississippi the Hobie Midwinters East regatta.

Some video from the race:

983629_10202021593593914_1360999675101618596_n.jpg

1982132_10202021593113902_3567208679735066676_n.jpg
10007043_10202070913866890_6757876451499229313_n.jpg

Fun stuff! I'm real close to getting my 1965 Daysailer sold, love those times on the water. Was that a jammed jib sheet you had on the second tack?

Fun stuff! I'm real close to getting my 1965 Daysailer sold, love those times on the water. Was that a jammed jib sheet you had on the second tack?
No we back wind the jib to help bring the front end around. The second tack we actually messed up. Just didn't have enough to fully cross head to wind. Had to back up a tad to turn enough

Finally wrapped her (1997) up and took her for a test drive. I replaced the following after the radiator failed at 17 years of age (I decided to tackle the oil leaks as well since I was going to have the radiator out):
  • Radiator (went with three core brass vs aluminum)
  • Replaced old and almost dead fan clutch with the new blue clutch (wow, the AC works again!)
  • Replaced radiator hoses
  • Replaced thermostat and gasket
  • Replaced all three belts
  • Replaced crank shaft seal
  • Replaced oil pump cover o-ring (source of oil leak, old one was dry and brittle)
  • Replaced distributor o-ring (source of oil leak, old one was dry and brittle)
  • Replaced transmission coolant hoses to and from cooler / radiator
  • Ended up with a 48" 3/4" breaker bar, 200-600 ft lb 3/4" torque wrench (since no one rented one), Bosch 1/4" impact gun and a few other items.

With kids and work, it took a few weekends and evenings but WOW, what a difference. The fan actually whooshed like everyone said the new one would. The crank shaft bolt torqued nice and easily by locking the torque convertor with a socket. I just need to verify no more oil leaks then I am going to get the engine compartment steam cleaned. I got about 80% of the grime/oil,grease off with good old towels and brake cleaner and purple Simple Green.

Next month I may tackle the front drive shaft rebuild.

I cleaned mine while my 40series paint was drying
image.jpg

Installed my OME mediums, easiest lift I have ever installed. Took me an hour front and rear.

Finally tossed in my scanguage II and found my tps wasn't adjusted correctly, so I adjusted that and my idle now stays where it should.

I'm still up in the air on caster bushings so I still have those possible for this weekend.

Nothing special... Talked a lot with other overlanders (a Brittish/French couple with a '11 LC78 Troopie with a l'Azalai camperunit that already did Africa en South America, a Canadian ice climber on a Suzuki V-Strom 650 who rode from Canada all the way down to Colombia, on his way to Argentina, and an older French couple with a Honda XR400R that rode from Paris to India, shipped the bike to Uruguay, and are now on their way to Central- and North America.)
Oh, and I took these pics:
78 + LX450 Hostal Renacer.jpg
IMG_4689.JPG
IMG_4692.JPG

Reinstalled most of the cooling hoses, replaced dizzy, distributor cap and o-ring. Waiting on some parts so did the spare tire lift mod. :meh: Prob a waist of time and money. Lifts the front of the the spare but the back still hangs low so your departure angle does not change.

Used it as a hiding spot

1398020879257.jpg

1398020902775.jpg

1398020947752.jpg

Removed the sunroof wind deflector/dirt collector
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1398037451.931247.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

Have had this FZJ80 for 11 years and finally getting around to beefing it up now that the kids are mostly grown and the wife has her new-to-us 2003 100 series. Spent the weekend pulling off running boards and tow package. Installed a Uniden Pro 520XL with a Wilson 1000 Mag Mount. Ran power to the battery and fed the antenna coax through channels on the PS and across the base of the front PS seat. Finally found a use for that bag cargo area besides collecting legos and uneaten carrots from the kids. Holds the mag mount perfectly and I feed it through the cargo sliding window. All of this until I get my technician class HAM license next month and move up to my Baofeng UV-5R.
P4200324.JPG
View attachment 887587

View attachment 887587 P4200321.JPG P4200320.JPG P4200318.JPG P4200322.JPG

Have had this FZJ80 for 11 years and finally getting around to beefing it up now that the kids are mostly grown and the wife has her new-to-us 2003 100 series. Spent the weekend pulling off running boards and tow package. Installed a Uniden Pro 520XL with a Wilson 1000 Mag Mount. Ran power to the battery and fed the antenna coax through channels on the PS and across the base of the front PS seat. Finally found a use for that bag cargo area besides collecting legos and uneaten carrots from the kids. Holds the mag mount perfectly and I feed it through the cargo sliding window. All of this until I get my technician class HAM license next month and move up to my Baofeng UV-5R.

That looks like a clean slate to start a build with. Congrats on the new toy. I have never seen chrome trim on the front bumper like that, pretty interesting.

That one isn't the original bumper - my wife used the original to peel the back end off a Mazda backing out of a parking spot a few years ago. At that time wasn't ready to add armor up front so let the insurance and shop take care of it. I'll look at older photos and see if the original had chrome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom