What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (57 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had to get to high country and find some Friggin DIRT! Too much pavement will give you the blues. I got to play with the front Harrop locker a bit too...twisting the magic dial is good times!

2016-05-29%2012.37.17_zps1dtpt444.jpg
2016-05-29%2012.26.11_zpsp0dqwkgk.jpg
2016-05-29%2012.42.35_zpscclz3tqb.jpg

Changed the oil.
Changed the bearing in the A/C idler pulley, it sounded like crap.
Rebuilt a used power steering pump and swapped it in. The old one was leaking out the back.

IMG_6852-L.jpg

A couple of (pro tips?) for power steering rebuild/install
  • Attach the high pressure hose banjo bolt from below before you bolt the pump on with it free and loose. Otherwise, it's impossible.
  • Don't leave the cap off your freshly rebuilt and filled P/S system and then start the motor. The result is like a high school volcano project. You might as well just go dump a bottle of fluid all over the engine compartment. $#@!
  • Toyota hates you, the FSM says to use 'two screwdrivers' to pry off the snap ring on the power steering shaft behind the bearing. Toyota, maybe you don't know this, but that's not a snap ring, that's a crappy bent piece of spring steel. Snap rings have an actual place to use a real tool for installation and removal.

I'll let y'all know in a day or two maybe.
:D

getting to the camp spot running low air presh

nsbFLs5.jpg

crummy camp site but it will do....lol

BMiSkpq.jpg

rR207LZ.jpg

cdLpOu6.jpg

jNDNomB.jpg

qA05Hly.jpg

jNDNomB.jpg

wpuDhwq.jpg

go low air or stay in gravel/paved campsite..haha

hn6Bagk.jpg

Whichever size 1/2" socket (22? 24?), universal joint, and about a foot and a half of extensions deals with HP banjo bolt nicely, IMO.

I actually used the same setup to torque the piss out of the pressure valve fitting that the banjo bolt screws into with the pump on the engine. When I went to remove the original pump it loosened from the pump housing before the banjo bolt loosened from it.. effectively locking the pump to the HP line. Had a hell of a time dealing with that and wanted to avoid a repeat.

Pulling out and going around "highway air pressure people" that thinks you dont need to air down in the spring snow pack..lol

This truck got stuck on Sat. afternoon, hung up on frame, they left it over night, no one around on Sunday lol

wQHl5j1.jpg

pulling out Forest Service/cal fire ;)

8huGV9U.jpg

czZRhsl.jpg

So instead of waiting for it to rain (or not rain...) and rebuild the front axle... The wife and decided we needed a little adventure so we headed to the OBX to Carova Beach. There was little traffic getting there and we had a great lunch at Blue Point in Duck.

20160529_162801-800x450.jpg

We saw about 8 wild horses. And explored around the neighborhood.

20160529_162836-800x450.jpg

We did enjoy the beach and a couple of beers despite the intermittent ominous looking weather we did get some sun and color.

And I learned that airing down to 15-20 is worth it... do it before you start on to the beach or you might have to suck it up until the 2 mile marker where you can stop to air down. Damn noob! I guess I didn't realize the sand would be that 'fluffy'. We didn't stop moving, but the thought did cross my mind that we might. Did not need the magic buttons anywhere but I did make sure they work. :beer:

Got the bumper painted and installed.
Also peel coated the wheels graphite. Really happy with the results.
tmp_21109-20160529_18274688120540.jpg

Loaded the kids and dogs up for a little cruise to a spot where we could get into some water. The park we went to was way too crowded so we went to a creek next to the in-laws land instead. It was a muddy/sandy mess, unfortunately by foot since I had to park the Cruiser and walk a bit. Other than my 10 month old daughter getting to play in water for the first time and having a blast, it was good to get the dogs out too. My 13 year old pit sure looked happy, I haven't seen her smile like that since she rode in my last Toyota, almost 10 years a go :) .

20160529_143950.jpg

My old 92 Xcab
PIC31.jpg

like the look is the bumper home made?
Bumper is a kit from NW Trail Innovations. Went together really well and seems pretty solid. Pretty reasonably priced also. Google nwti bumpers and you should find them.

Loaded the kids and dogs up for a little cruise to a spot where we could get into some water. The park we went to was way too crowded so we went to a creek next to the in-laws land instead. It was a muddy/sandy mess, unfortunately by foot since I had to park the Cruiser and walk a bit. Other than my 10 month old daughter getting to play in water for the first time and having a blast, it was good to get the dogs out too. My 13 year old pit sure looked happy, I haven't seen her smile like that since she rode in my last Toyota, almost 10 years a go :) .

20160529_143950.jpg

My old 92 Xcab
PIC31.jpg

I always get a kick out of the look of a panting pit bull. Their heads look half mouth! Nice looking dog!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom