What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (30 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Machinist, did you plug the trans cooler fittings on the radiator? How was the fit?
I plugged them with 3/8 pipe end fittings, not ideal since the fittings on the radiator are for a flared compression fitting, but it will work since I won't be using the trans cooler.
I'm not super impressed with this radiator. The threads on the studs for the bottom mounts didn't match the stock bolts, or the ones I got from the hardware store and I ended up snapping one of welds on one of the studs. The front mounting bracket was also damaged slightly during shipping so it took a little gentle "persuading" with a rubber mallet to get it lined up. Overall the fit was ok though.

Don't forget to get new bolts for the fan shroud since the aluminum radiator does not have captured nuts like the original did.

I plugged them with 3/8 pipe end fittings, not ideal since the fittings on the radiator are for a flared compression fitting, but it will work since I won't be using the trans cooler.
I'm not super impressed with this radiator. The threads on the studs for the bottom mounts didn't match the stock bolts, or the ones I got from the hardware store and I ended up snapping one of welds on one of the studs. The front mounting bracket was also damaged slightly during shipping so it took a little gentle "persuading" with a rubber mallet to get it lined up. Overall the fit was ok though.

Don't forget to get new bolts for the fan shroud since the aluminum radiator does not have captured nuts like the original did.

Question: I looked at the cruiser corps site and in the title it lists the model you bought as 3 row but the description says it is a 2 row??

Champion does sell a three row on ebay for $210 so maybe you didn't get too bad of a deal.

Thanks for the heads up on new hardware to mount the shroud and I'm sorry you had a hard time getting it installed. I will report back this week on my experience.

My first impression of the Champion radiator was also lackluster. This was four years ago so maybe they've gotten better. Neck was welded on a little crooked, the welds on the tanks did't follow a straight line, the mounting brackets were riveted on, the mounting holes required die grinder work to fit and the actual core dimensions were smaller than stock. I would have run it in my own vehicle but this was for a customer's build so I gave it to a friend and got a drop in from Ron Davis. Like the dozens of Davis' radiators before I could find no complaints.
I've been curious to try one again but the first would have to be on my own truck.

My first impression of the Champion radiator was also lackluster. This was four years ago so maybe they've gotten better. Neck was welded on a little crooked, the welds on the tanks did't follow a straight line, the mounting brackets were riveted on, the mounting holes required die grinder work to fit and the actual core dimensions were smaller than stock. I would have run it in my own vehicle but this was for a customer's build so I gave it to a friend and got a drop in from Ron Davis. Like the dozens of Davis' radiators before I could find no complaints.
I've been curious to try one again but the first would have to be on my own truck.
The welds were definitely lacking in quality. For $100 less than re-coring the stock one and a couple hundred less than a Ron Davis one, I'll live with bad looking welds...AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T LEAK!! I'll find out about that after work today...

Either way, if I ever need to do this again, I'll probably save up for a Ron Davis Davis.

Not really the weekend.. But I drove it to Roseville and saw another cruiser parked in the shade. Clean looking rig and had a specter sticker on the windshield. Thought they had to be on mud.. Who is it?
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429586758.528545.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429586773.509646.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429586786.282461.jpg

Took all the door panels apart and lubed everything up...windows and door locks/latches work smooth now

Took out the stock audio and updated a bit with a new receiver and new 6.5" door speakers...

I sat around as another weekend passed me by while waiting for my beadlocks to get manufactured :crybaby:

Replaced these suckers... I broke a rented puller (oops!)
I had more luck with an impact socket down the spindle, a piece of wood, a torch and a BFG

To reinstall the new one I did the freezer trick and it worked pretty well!
Now onto the knuckle rebuild... :)
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429676546.770477.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429676568.199607.jpg

working both ends at once. Reworking the grill to accommodate trans and engine oil coolers fro the V-8 700R and simulView attachment 1064181 View attachment 1064182 View attachment 1064183 View attachment 1064184 taniously working out the bugs for a rear airbag setup for the U-Bolt flipkit

Think that's the first pics I've seen of yr shop/one of your jobs. Sweet.

That grille name plate - looks aluminum - would look badass on the grille J's working on. . .just saying =)

Think that's the first pics I've seen of yr shop/one of your jobs. Sweet.

That grille name plate - looks aluminum - would look badass on the grille J's working on. . .just saying =)

I wouldn't call work on my truck a job or even close to the care I put into a customer's truck. The grill is all steel . Jason had a totally new approach by salvaging the plastic surround. Mine all revolve around new steel. Never occurred to me to do what he did. I always seem to do things the hard way.
I have a couple different ones I've done over the years. A couple font options and the Toyota bull's horn logo. I've put everything from square weld wire to expanded metal sheet as filler. For mine it was either the TOYOTA letters or the Toyota bull horn logo for mine. I chose the Toyota because it's more old school. The oval bull horns were more 90's. I think this one will have the hexagon mesh because that one has the least restrictive airflow of all the ornamental perf screens. If I had more Irish blood there is a shamrock perf screen available... but I'm not. I'm looking forward most to the airbags. I never had a spring that rode soft unloaded but held height with 1500 pounds of payload. No one's kits are compatible with my flip kits so i had to get my a$$ up and get it done. I don't have a pic of the bull horn version in the grill but here's one in a roof rack on Greg's truck ( my welder and pretty much adopted son ) haha

IMG_2287.jpg

Photo035.jpg
Put insurance on this old girl for the summer, then tried to make it up the trail to the top of the town bluff. Looks like the departure angle isn't quite as good as a lifted Tacoma, so I wasn't successful in my quest. Oh well, that will serve me right for having fun with my rig when I should be working on it!!

I wouldn't call work on my truck a job or even close to the care I put into a customer's truck. The grill is all steel . Jason had a totally new approach by salvaging the plastic surround. Mine all revolve around new steel. Never occurred to me to do what he did. I always seem to do things the hard way.
I have a couple different ones I've done over the years. A couple font options and the Toyota bull's horn logo. I've put everything from square weld wire to expanded metal sheet as filler. For mine it was either the TOYOTA letters or the Toyota bull horn logo for mine. I chose the Toyota because it's more old school. The oval bull horns were more 90's. I think this one will have the hexagon mesh because that one has the least restrictive airflow of all the ornamental perf screens. If I had more Irish blood there is a shamrock perf screen available... but I'm not. I'm looking forward most to the airbags. I never had a spring that rode soft unloaded but held height with 1500 pounds of payload. No one's kits are compatible with my flip kits so i had to get my a$$ up and get it done. I don't have a pic of the bull horn version in the grill but here's one in a roof rack on Greg's truck ( my welder and pretty much adopted son ) haha
Hey Dave, Is that Lake Powell way in the background in that picture of Greg? Nice spot wherever it is.

Hey Dave, Is that Lake Powell way in the background in that picture of Greg? Nice spot wherever it is.

That is Greg and yes it's Powell in the background. We camped at Blue Notch. It's about a 25 dirt road that gets you to the lake. When the water is high the end of the road looks like this

IMG_0527s.jpg

IMG_0519s.jpg

IMG_0521s.jpg

IMG_0525s.jpg

Thanks for the photos, Dave. Gotta love the powell area and all of S Utah. The most perfect place for Land Cruising!

Finally got a chance to get some work done on Blue Guy. Replaced both front shocks (one had come off and had been off for a while it looks like),changed the oil, spark plugs, PCV and that F$#king gasket, rotor, cap, air filter, fuel filter, cleaned the throttle body, and upgraded the battery cables.
Today will be the first day I have gotten to drive it in months, cant wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom