What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (30 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have had good luck reaching and lasting a decent time. I do not wheel the crap out of my rigs on a regular basis and flex the springs hard, just the odd weekends. Maybe that is why they last long. I always tell them to add a bit more to the measured arch I want so it is close to where it needs to be once installed and loaded. Many larger towns will have a specialized spring shop that can hot and cold form.

Finally got the wherewithal to go up to the San Juans. Uneventful drive up from Durango, turned off on the Ophir Pass road, smooth sailing over quite an easy road. Popped up over the top onto the "difficult" part (not very difficult at all) and noticed some ominous clanking from the front, pulled over to find the left front spring perch had busted off the frame and the shackle has flipped all the to the back. Crap.

Pulled off at the switchback. Naturally the sheepherder jack is leaning against the garage. Got a bottle jack between the spring and the frame but not enough travel to get the shackle flipped forward. A couple jeeps (seemed like hundreds) drove by without highlifts. Finally a guy had one, got it jacked up, the shackle flipped a ratchet strap to the right frame rail to pull it back in place, one on the back of the shackle to keep it from sliding forward, two to hold it tight against the frame rail and one around the back of he shackle to keep it from sliding back.

Drove down to ATV Rentals Silverton where the guy couldn't weld it back on but knew this guy just down the road. John, the biker welder guy took a look at the shackle, crawls out from under and says, "The right side's busted too." Double crap. He offers to weld 'em both for $100, a bargain I'm thinking given the circumstances, so I hop in my cousin's cruiser and we head down to Handlebars for lunch. Hit the ATM, back to John, pay him, and all's well that ends well. Oddly, it's not leaning like it did before.

Special thanks to the Jeep guy with the jack who, when I told him to be sure to get on the Jeep forums and brag about saving the LC with my blessing said, "Nah, I won't do that, we're all one big happy, right?"

DSC00317.jpg

DSC00311.jpg

DSC00310.jpg

DSC00313.jpg

DSC00312.jpg

DSC00316.jpg

No cool pics, but I do have new calipers, rotors, and pads up front, and a new quiet exhaust.

No cool pics, but I do have new calipers, rotors, and pads up front, and a new quiet exhaust.
Hi 7. Did you replace the whole exhaust? Or just the muffler? Looking to redo my exhaust and I'm looking for all kinds of ideas. Thanks.

Yeah same here... Have seen the Walker kit on RockAuto for around $300 but friend is saying that with his "shop discount" that he can have his exhaust shop do me a nice setup for the same price. Debating on if I want to keep stock or if I would rather go to a 3" out with a Magnaflo.

Drove 730 miles from southern Idaho to home in Olympia wa. Ran like a champ, transfer case held up fine so I guess I built it right. Two year old and three year old in the back seat for 15 hours bad ideas abound. Only problem besides fuel mileage was a/c belt slippage for the last couple hundred miles. For 214,000 miles she does real great.

Hi 7. Did you replace the whole exhaust? Or just the muffler? Looking to redo my exhaust and I'm looking for all kinds of ideas. Thanks.

I did not replace everything,

I took it to the Toyota place first, they quoted me 900 dollars for a front to back. Then they told me that they couldn't do it cause the parts were NLA. That terrified me, who spends the time to create a quote just to tell you that they can't do it? So I took it to a specialty shop they kept it in the stock formation, replaced one CAT, the muffler, and a down pipe and some gaskets for 285.

I Like your Toyota name plate "beast". That's what my kids call mine too.
And, what is a snot otter?

I don't typically name my vehicles but a couple of friends began calling my 60 The Beast and when Toyota offered up the free name badges I put in for one.

Snot otter = hellbender. A large aquatic salamander of the eastern US and in serious decline throughout their range due to degraded water quality.

Bled my brakes on my axle swap Friday morning, drove around the block then straight to the off-road park to go wheeling!

On the way there blew rear driveshaft. Towed the rest of the way to camp and we fixed it in the morning. We pulled the diff thinking the pinion beating was toast but it was just loose, tightened it up, installed diff, new u-joints and wheeled the rest of the day with no problems! :)

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1436125657.824904.jpg

Full floater proved to be an awesome upgrade:

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1436125753.294625.jpg

And ih8mud!

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1436125833.518321.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1436125849.918975.jpg

Dropped the radiator off to get sealed up.
uploadfromtaptalk1436129288801.jpg

Swapped the water pump and belts while access was easy.

Finished the bracketry and wiring for the passenger seat, and got both mounted. Had to get creative with passenger side, to work around the rear heater.
uploadfromtaptalk1436129658162.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1436129514596.jpg

While I had the seats out, I chopped the tab on the locker handle.
Earlier I could not engage them separately, pulling front also pulled rear.
uploadfromtaptalk1436130058791.jpg

Quick-fix quarter panels are in progress, just sheets of ply to seal things up and have somewhere to mount the 6x9 kickers.

Was going to service rear drivers drum brake, but I got the wrong wheel cylinder....
Swapped a cv, was out of time to do the other side.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom