Builds What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week? (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Installed a rubber mat in the cargo areared &Not super thick but for $20 shipped its a good value for a cut to fit mat.

View attachment 1300582

Found the mat on eBay. Interesting it shows it fitting the 100 series but neither of my 4Runners ( 3rd & 4th gens) or my 89 LC. Doesn't make sense to me for a cut to fit. Ordered a grey one to check it out. They didn't have brown but do have beige at least. If they work I'll order a couple more.

Found the mat on eBay. Interesting it shows it fitting the 100 series but neither of my 4Runners ( 3rd & 4th gens) or my 89 LC. Doesn't make sense to me for a cut to fit. Ordered a grey one to check it out. They didn't have brown but do have beige at least. If they work I'll order a couple more.

I only cut ~1.5" off the narrow part of the width by the 2nd row and a little shaping at the back corners. Thinking a it should be plenty big for all the vehicles listed above.

I only cut ~1.5" off the narrow part of the width by the 2nd row and a little shaping at the back corners. Thinking a it should be plenty big for all the vehicles listed above.

I agree can't see any reason it's shouldn't. Was surprised how close the 100 series mat fit in the 60 series. Since shipping is free figured I just order to be sure. Suppose to arrive on the 11th. I use the utility part of my SUVs more then the sport part and something to protect the carpet is a must. Coming from CA figured would get here sooner since got a email it's been shipped. Probably has to do with the Well Fargo stagecoach only coming thru this part of the state once a week.:rolleyes:

image.jpeg
Spent some time doing some light wheelin after an 8 month hiatus.

The 'cruiser has not been getting to much of my attention of late due to work and other project commitments but she got some love this weekend.
Full trans service including complete flush, new filter and pan seal. Also replaced the o-ring on the dipstick since it was shrunken and hard allowing some leakage.

Next a new fuel filter. This is part of tracking down the issue I have had with the motor stumbling intermittently. I believe I isolated it to some contaminated fuel. As part of getting everything out of the system and more baselining it was time to replace the 23 year old fuel filter. This was more of a PITA than it really needed to be. Why Mr. T decided to hide it where he did when there are plenty of places on the frame rails like other vehicles is a mystery. Add to it that some miscreant decided it would be funny to put the filter for a Corolla in the box for the 1993 Land Cruiser and having to wait another day for the right part.

The fun with the counter guy..."This doesn't look like the right filter."
"The system says it takes this part number," pointing to the box.
"But the part number on the box is different than the one on the filter."
"Well, sometimes the part numbers change."
"Yes, but it doesn't even look the same as this one...how would I mount it with no mounting tabs? How about we look up the part number printed on the filter?"
"Your right, that filter is for a Corolla. I can order you a new one, have it by noon tomorrow. Do you still want this one?" (Seriously?!)

Still fighting the EGR code problem so there is that on the horizon and I have a shelf full of parts to do the oil leaks next to include a new front main seal, oil pump seal, oil pump screws, and while that's apart, new radiator, belts, hoses and idlers. Just have to get a free weekend to tear into it.

Also on the shelf are all new bushings, the OME lift and shocks and some new 305 or 315 tires (haven't decided on what size after the lift)...another long weekend.

And way back in the dusty corner shelf are the AMP Power Steps, that will be much more than a long weekend.

After a road trip to and fro Payson area Saturday (hiking Horton Creek to Highline to Derrick trail) with a fading AC system I set up an appointment @murf's shop to get an inspection and resolution. See you Monday at 11 : ) CSC 357

I had a removable rear tire carrier made locally and I've put it through it's paces wheeling somewhat hard through a lot of mud and rock on the Mogollon Rim Saturday.

I'm going to brag about the guy who made it. He's a new entrepreneur and when I find someone doing great work for our 80's I gotta shout out.
BenderRodriguez

My requirements beyond safety were:

1. carry a 33" to 37" tire
2. removable within five minutes
3. NO noise or NO wiggling whilst wheeling
4. ease of installation within 5 min.
5. look slick
6. closer to the drivers side for rear view visibility
7. include some gas can or rotopax onto it (3).
8. be stout enough to hold another 180 lbs. (mtn. bikes and the Kuat NV rack)
9. not encroach on the bike rack (enough room for both).
10. not fly off on a freeway or for that matter a washboard dirt road
11. fit onto an aftermarket rear bumper (4x4 labs)

The engineering and welds are superb and the speed of delivery was within two (2) weeks.
Cost for all of it began at $400 and as I added to the customization I'm up at $850 now; and, worth it to me as an active 80 owner. Here are some pic's and if you have something you would like done...give the newest 80 entrepreneur a PM: Bender Rodriguez

img_5810-jpeg.1303257

The Turnbuckle is genius--as more weight is put on the far side the turnbuckle pulls up the tire carrier so it fits square without sag!
img_5805-jpeg.1303260
View attachment 1303261
img_5804-jpeg.1303262
the largest wingnut I've seen...and it locks to prevent tire theft.
img_5806-jpeg.1303275

I had a removable rear tire carrier made locally and I've put it through it's paces wheeling somewhat hard through a lot of mud and rock on the Mogollon Rim Saturday.

I'm going to brag about the guy who made it. He's a new entrepreneur and when I find someone doing great work for our 80's I gotta shout out.
BenderRodriguez

5. look slick

The engineering and welds are superb and the speed of delivery was within two (2) weeks.
Cost for all of it began at $400 and as I added to the customization I'm up at $850 now; and, worth it to me as an active 80 owner. Here are some pic's and if you have something you would like done...give the newest 80 entrepreneur a PM: Bender Rodriguez

The Turnbuckle is genius--as more weight is put on the far side the turnbuckle pulls up the tire carrier so it fits square without sag!View attachment 1303261the largest wingnut I've seen...and it locks to prevent tire theft.

Hey Guys, this is my first post to the forum. I am pretty new to it but I have looked though a lot of the more popular threads and I am liking the community.

I am open to any suggestions and feedback, good or bad. On the list right now is a an stronger turn buckle and a much larger latch. I will also be adding a licence plate holder. Soon to come is the 2" hitch for the bike rack.

Zona, thanks for reporting back after the initial shake down run. Looking forward to improving the design and working on more projects in the future.

BenderRodriguez

5. look slick

img_5810-jpeg.1303257

The Turnbuckle is genius--as more weight is put on the far side the turnbuckle pulls up the tire carrier so it fits square without sag!
img_5805-jpeg.1303260
View attachment 1303261
img_5804-jpeg.1303262
the largest wingnut I've seen...and it locks to prevent tire theft.
img_5806-jpeg.1303275
So did you have the bumper already and he added the swing out?

So did you have the bumper already and he added the swing out?

yes, I already had the bumper (2 years, 4x4 Labs) and was never happy keeping the tire in the cab (family stuff needed to be in there) and I never wanted a permanent swing out. I've been looking for someone that would have the skill and creativity--BenderRodriguez did it right.

I'm going to rattle can it this weekend.

Zona

Did a little rust control. Damn bondo seems to breed the stuff.

Early signs of trouble
image.jpeg

Full extent exposed
image.jpeg

Sanded and repainted not the prettiest but it stopped the rust
image.jpeg

And reassembled
image.jpeg

My 97 is going through rehab currently. Kind of a 12 step program back to respectable-Cruiserhood. Several orders through CBT have been placed. Today's chapter, new tires. These are the new Falken Wildpeak AT3W, in the 285/75/16 flavor. They are quite heavy and burly. Probably heavier than a 35" BFG AT KO1. Definitely slower than the 245/75/16 Big O AT's they replaced. But, these will look and perform oh so much better. Quiet on pavement so far. Discount Tire hooks it up again!

IMG_20160811_182650185_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160811_182703262_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160811_182713677_HDR.jpg

Finally finished my $360 Front Runner Rack. Picked the rack up which originally was for a Jeep Unlimited for $300, spent another $60 on hardware and steel. Cut the width down to 50 and built the mounts. If I were to do it again I would change a few things, but overall I am pleased.

Jim
IMG_0160.JPG

IMG_0172.JPG

Had both cats replaced. Only needed one but why not do both!? Should take care of the P0430. Have been going to Mesa Muffler for quite some time (same place I got the Magnaflow). They do good work IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom