Builds What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spent Saturday beating my cranium soft on the arms of the lift.

I was not happy with the brakes performance before I took it to the upholster so plan was to re-bleed the brakes. The power bleeder worked much better this time and after getting through each of the calipers and not seeing any real problems it was on to that stupid valve. At first is was same as the calipers then all at once it started blowing air like I had fed it a meal at Chipotle. The level in the power bleeder dropped a full inch in 3 seconds. After it ran clear I figured I'd make one more round of bleeding...just in case. A gallon and a half of fluid later There was nothing more to be pushed out of the system. I am still not real happy with the performance of the brakes but perhaps I should not expect them to work like my Tundra or any other truck I have owned since my '65 Ford.

I figured while I had it up in the air I would do the motor/trans mounts...should be a snap...be done in an hour...right!!!???
Braced the transfercase, removed the cross brace, bada-bing, bada-boom easypeasy.
Passenger side mount, lower nut off...snap...upper nut off..slow snap. Drivers side...lower nut off...snap...Upper nut...wholy crap!!!!! :censor: 30 minutes to find the right wrench and the right angle to get to it and once on it it was frozen solid. After some extension/swivel origami the 1/2" impact finally broke it free.

At this point I figured it should be easy, screw jack under the crank pulley, raise the motor about a inch or so, slide them out, new ones in...no problem. Jack in place, twist and twist and then a POP!!!! Next was a shower of fluid that was really stanky...the low pressure return line on the power steering res snapped in half. :doh: :bang: :censor: After 22 years of AZ heat there was no forgiveness left in it. Learned 2 things...first, if you want to lift the motor for mount replacement, pull the three 12mm bolts that secure the res to the motor so they can move separately. Second, who ever filled the PS system last use the wrong fluid and it was burnt and foul.

After a couple parts run I got the both the low pressure lines to the res replaced and then had to flush the entire PS system so it could be filled with the ATF as specified. Guess I will need to add all new PS lines to my "To Do" list.

Never got around to pulling the VAFM to meter it though I am pretty certain it is the cause of my intake air temp code so I need to find a good working replacement that ISN'T $700 from Mr. T.

Considering starting the wheel painting today but then again...paint fumes and the soft spots on my skull may say this is a rest day ;)

Went to the Italian trap yesterday. It was a perfect day for wheeling and soaking up the sun!

image.jpeg

OME medium front heavy rear with slee 30mm spring spacers front and rear. It looks very proportionate with the 35s and rides great.

It looks great. What did you do for caster correction if any?

Well it's not my Cruiser but I did install the v8. No lift :)
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1447358964.926853.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1447358981.892760.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1447358998.439247.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1447359013.260813.jpg

Took the 80 up to a cool old cabin up on Juniper Flats (east side of the Santa Ritas, west of Patagonia). Good times. Not very rough just steep. S/C was making cool noise most of the way up. The cabin is at about 6800 ft. so the views are pretty epic. We were glad to find the cabin in good shape, nice and clean without any busted windows, etc...
20151112_161000.jpg

Picked up the completed Taco at CBT (mods to ARB bumper to get it to fit better).
Many thanks to Murf and crew!
Great work guys, outstanding as usual!!

20151114_170801.jpg

I like the upgraded teq sticker!

Finally got the wheels completed on OSO and the replacement for the VAFM arrived as well. Thanks slow95z. No more engine codes...:D

Pulled the front bumper to try and get it straightened out a bit. Should get it back on later in the week.

Added a seat heater to the drivers seat. Nice complete kit scored via LandcruiserPhil. Mmmmmm toasty On cold mornings! Keeps the back nice and loosened up

1116151532.jpg
1116150846.jpg

Lets see...replaced the EGR and the vacuum modulator and the vacuum lines trying to eliminate the CEL code 71 and whala...FAIL. CEL back on the return trip from CBT yesterday. Still throwing a 71...Scratching my head where to look next.

Today, chasing a rattle under the passenger side and found broken clamps on an exhaust heat shield and broken exhaust "cushion" on the bracket just after the shield. More parts...More parts...more parts :)

Last edited:
Hood vents installed; to keep the 3fe beast cool (like the other side of the pillow). Also got my driver side 'hot feet fix" taken care of.
IMG_20151122_165904.jpg
IMG_20151122_164620.jpg

Let's see some pictures of this new bumper.

Sent from my SM-N920T
Sorry it's taken a bit to get back, but there's no point in sending Cinderella to the ball if all she's got is the new lipstick. :D
So, while glass slippers aren't the best analogy for a new pair of shoes;...

Dang it, I lost my train of thought on that one.

New ARB up front; courtesy of thx138, and a new set of 255/85/16 Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxxs.
Wheee!!! :D

New%20Lips_zps6hmf99nx.png

Now, I'll agree that from a ways off, the S/T Maxx's don't look all that beefy and aggressive.

In fact, I specifically went with them instead of the Toyo MT's, because I thought they'd probably be better for the majority of pavement travel vs the terrain the MT's would excel in.

However, I was pleasantly surprised by just how deep the lugs are!

new%20shoes_zpsqi7rhmxi.png

New%20Shoe_zpsexjzb7gu.png

Last edited:
Installed a few little things today that I picked up yesterday at CBT. Windshield washer diverter valve, bubble mirrors, finished cleaning the interior on the 80.

Swapped HIR bulbs into the 100, in the process found out that my POS Canadian Tire battery was leaking and had been for a little while. Bought a new Group 27F Optima Yellow Top and installed it, not cheap but sometimes just getting things done is most of the battle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom