Builds What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week? (28 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

image.jpg

Moved the tent over, detailed Wilma and put her in the garage! :bounce2:

How long have you had your tent? Impressions so far of CVT?

I've had this one over a year now. Aside from a couple small things (like the cheap fasteners for when you roll up the windows breaking) it's been great. I have the annex for the dogs which works out nicely. Cvt has uses heavier fabric than the tepui as well which helped me decide between two plus they are known for good customer service. Only real complaints are the rain fly can get noisy when it's really windy out and to keep the cover zipper lubed up with graphite or wax, it can get tough at times.

Took the fam to the Grand Canyon in the 100. A few pics in sig thread. First time there, pretty amazing.

Working on getting my @benc Dissent bumper welding together and installed.

It started as a pile of parts in my garage.
IMG_8654.jpeg

Halfway done.
20150713_180335.jpg

Almost done.
20150713_184624.jpg

Will post photos when it is all painted and pretty.

How is it mounted to the dash?
it clips between the black plastic instrument cluster surround and the plastic vent surround. It's slightly bowed from the factory so that it puts enough lateral pressure on it to keep it stable, and from sliding up/down. There is also a small piece of double-stick tape on it to keep it from moving (though I think that's unlikely). Then the tilt/swivel phone holder part screws to that base that is clipped in. Vent blockage is acceptable.

Just add oil, we have lockage...
al 3.jpg

Wish I were able to fine tune the required specs to take in wear and tear but the package came with the unfortunate problem of one is tied into the other (both tied into the side gear thrust washers)...I ended with the lowest minimum spec for the axle spacer to shaft at .006 and the highest for their center gap recommends (.170).

Picked up the 100 from CBT (thanks for the outstanding service guys!!): SPC LCAs, Triple 5 LBJs, new steering rack, alignment and misc. other little PM.

Sold the '03 Taco (not an LC but still applicable) to a great pal who will continue the build.
Drove the 80 to a nice lunch with the :princess:.

Stared at the 09/78 FJ40 sitting happily in the garage and obsessed about the build.

I have to admit, the FZJ has not received a lot of love in the recent weeks. Busy work schedule and earth moving and wall building on the property have sucked up the FZJ time. But this weekend I spent in the Cruiser.

Got started with the audio/video system changes that have been sitting on the shelf with all the brake and axle rebuilding parts. I don't think all of this will make the cut but a lot of it will.

The previous owner said that the stereo was fine but all the speakers were blown...well, it is 20+ years old and these things happen. So the plan was to begin debugging the system beginning with new speakers all around. My plan was to start at the back and work towards the head unit. While I was at it, good time to install the back up camera and start snaking those cables forward as I go.

Plan here was to get it installed and use only factory routing locations...no new holes in the body. So as long as I had it apart, sand, paint, add LED bulbs and new rubber trim and isolator washers to the license plate eyebrow.

Now the subwoofer. Again, wanted to keep things looking as stock as I could while upgrading so I made/modified the stock bracket to hold a TS-SW2002D2 8" DVC free air subwoffer and carry the stock amp.

Now for the passenger doors. The Pioneer TS-G1645R got the call. Research said that these would be a direct fit...so much for research. Had to bust out one of my "Frankensaw" units to increase the cut outs in the door from the 82mm to 5.25". Not a tool I would recommend to the beginner.

The final product:

Now to the driver/passenger doors. For this I laid the "Frankensaw" to rest and the same Pioneer TS-G1645R went in pretty straight forward.

Now came time to test...and guess what...the speakers were not the only thing that was FUBAR...good thing I had a stock pile for just such an occasion. We considered putting in the KEH-P4200 meant for the Jeep and adding a CB to the now vacant slot under it but we added the review camera to the plan and it needs a monitor. The Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS meant not having to hang a separate monitor just for the camera.

Now its time to gut the dash for ease of access...

Picked up the "Plug and Play" adapter harness and got the head unit wired in, turn the key, hit the button and whala...sound...not good sound but sound. Did not take into account that the adapter harness appears to bypass the stock amps. It didn't sound bad, but the sub was not working and it was just...weak compared to expectations. So, back a part it comes and next weekend...More Power.

Replaced the negative battery cable and the negative frame -> starter cable.

Last few trips I noticed the battery was not charging reliably and the charging current was low and the voltage regulator was at it's minimum field voltage value. I suspected that the alternator -> VR ground path was much better than the alternator -> battery.

The last trip (Pyeatt Draw) proved this out - by the third day my main battery was down to 12.2 volts while the alternator output was 13.4 volts.

I rigged up a temporary cable from the alternator mounting bolt to the battery negative and finally started charging the battery.

Hopefully the new cables will fix the charging problems.

These cables look bad to anyone? The yellow striped cable went from the frame to the starter, and was probably the culprit.

IMG_6777-small.jpg

New strap
IMG_6780-small.jpg

New battery negative cable
IMG_6781-small.jpg

Had to bust out one of my "Frankensaw" units to increase the cut outs in the door from the 82mm to 5.25". Not a tool I would recommend to the beginner.

...More Power.

Nice work - like yer Frankensaw:hillbilly:

having my sunroof drains unplugged. after this last rain, my pass carpet was wet and when I turn, I hear water sloshing inside my rocker panel!

having my sunroof drains unplugged. after this last rain, my pass carpet was wet and when I turn, I hear water sloshing inside my rocker panel!

I call it Wet foot.
After replacing the center vent gasket on the 40 and lubing up the mechanism that closed it, I made a point to forget about it. Now all I have to do is once in a while open the grate and suck out nature's future compost with the shop vac.:)

Did some offroading and met Woody

And I think I might get one of these... Its a GX470 and the underpinnings are Land Cruiser Prado and the suspension is FJ Cruiser and 4Runner

:cool:

I like those bumpers on that GX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom