Builds What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week? (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That looks similar to the one I installed under the hood:
IMG_3183-small.jpg

I'm thinking about this for the cab area, but the output wires need special connectors and all the wires come out the back so I would have a problem mounting it:

http://www.cooperindustries.com/con...ls/series_15710_rearterminalatcfusepanel.html
BUS_Tns_15710_220.jpg

Finally installed my (purchased 5 years :rolleyes: ago) rear disc brake conversion. In the process, replaced the rear wheel bearings and races (well, CBT did the races) etc. Not sure why I waited so long to so this, it really wasn't all that hard.

That looks similar to the one I installed under the hood:
View attachment 1039488

I'm thinking about this for the cab area, but the output wires need special connectors and all the wires come out the back so I would have a problem mounting it:

http://www.cooperindustries.com/con...ls/series_15710_rearterminalatcfusepanel.html
View attachment 1039489

I think I would replace the one under your hood with the style that has a cover to keep water and dirt out. As for brackets because the wires come out the back in the cab if you extend the wires over to the driver's A pillar in side the cap you could install it like Toyota did starting with the 73 model. The wire off those fuse blocks came out the back. Between the gas pedal and defrost hose the stock location is pretty tight on the early models. I would also upgrade the wire from the starter to the fuse block. Would use pilot relays for anything you want to turn on off the ignition switch. Unless it's like most modern audio equipment that has a switched and non switched power sources. Modern electronics and forty-five year old wiring scare me. Years ago I had 3/4 ton Ford window van I used to tow my FJ40 and camping trailer. The wiring harness by the blower switch split open like a hot dog. Only thing I've ever had close to a electrical fire in a auto and it was too close for me.

Added a very nicely built ladder by Gobi Racks to give quick access to the top viewing platform of my CampTeq
Hey something is missing.....
LOoks like you shaved your rear hatch emblem - great minds think alike ;)

the 40's spring make over is finally done...
  • Installed rear disc brake conversion
  • Repl rear main seal
  • Repl rear pinon seal
  • Front axle reseal
  • Upgraded the H4 headlights wth 90/100w bulbs - new harness w/ relays, ceramic plugs
  • completely rebuilt the GM tilt steering column internals - tightened it up and got my horns back!
  • installed all new brake hoses
  • rewelded battery box mounts
  • Clearanced out the IPOR skid plate where it was gently kissing the rear tcase
  • Installed metal shut off valve in rear ARB air line to keep the oil from being pushed up from the differential on long pressure building highway drives. Yes I replaced the appropriate seals in the locker which helped but didnt completely eliminate the spitting of gear oil at the underhood selonoid. I will open up the switch when hitting the trailhead.
Next on the agenda is replacing the OE fuse block with a new 12 gang box w/ updated mini fuses. The old one is getting loose and too many extra power wires hitchhiking on the glass fuses!

I wanted to report back to say that I am more than impressed with the light output on my headlights now that I've upgraded to 80/90w bulbs and the upgraded harness with relays, wiring, ceramic plugs.
The difference from the 50/60w is amazing, thinking the harness also might have something to do with it.

Just wait until you splurge on lightforces :p

I wanted to report back to say that I am more than impressed with the light output on my headlights now that I've upgraded to 80/90w bulbs and the upgraded harness with relays, wiring, ceramic plugs.
The difference from the 50/60w is amazing, thinking the harness also might have something to do with it.

Good idea on the 80/90 upgrade
What option did you go with for an emergency brake

Good idea on the 80/90 upgrade
What option did you go with for an emergency brake
yep, thanks for the 80/90w recommendation LCP :clap:

ebrake....please, not needed with an automatic. Never needed it - don't miss it.

Last edited:
I'll tell you what Ive should of done a long time ago is what I finally did today :bounce:

I had the exhaust rerouted from exiting the side of the 40 under the doors and extended to coming out the sides behind the rear tires.

On the way home I rolled down the windows to fresh air instead of exhaust stink. SO GLAD I did this - quieter in the cab and no longer fighting the fumes. Kudos to owner/operator Greg at Mighty Muffler on Cave creek.

I donated them to a friend

Disc mo better, haven't you heard ?

Definetly stops better for sure. I first felt this when I went from my first 91 80 series with rear drum, then to the 96 with rear disc...huge difference in stopping power imo.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Finished up a bunch of small fab projects; tall dude seat brackets to improve headroom by 1/2", and legroom by 4", jerry can/axe/shovel rack for the passenger side (built off of a spare 3rd row bracket), finished up the fridge slide and Edgestar handle tie down plate. And no, I will not be carrying fuel inside the cabin, just used the can for a test fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom