Builds What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you didnt notice the chipped teeth before you wont notice them once the covers back on:hillbilly:

Also good luck trying to find a three speed with the non synchronizes first gear that isn't chipped. Curious is that a Orion Transfer case? Do you have lower then stock gearing? If not I would install a H42. Probably the best mod I've done to my 68 which is no longer stock.

Yes, if you are not hoping for combustion leak.

Am I wrong is the 1ZF the only Toyota/Land Cruiser engine that has the big problems with head gasket failures? My biggest concern is making sure I have antifreeze protection on vehicles up north. I have digital thermometer that tracks high and low temperature. Since I insulated the doors I have stayed above freezing inside the garage but haven't had the 18 below temperatures we had some years back.

Replaced front ARB locker solenoid. Prepping for the boys deer hunt this week.

Tried out my new kelty awning!

IMG_3668[1].JPG

IMG_3669[1].JPG

Also good luck trying to find a three speed with the non synchronizes first gear that isn't chipped. Curious is that a Orion Transfer case? Do you have lower then stock gearing? If not I would install a H42. Probably the best mod I've done to my 68 which is no longer stock.

Yup I built an Orion a few years back, but unfortunately I used the paper gasket set for all of the various covers. Even spraying Hi-tack on them did not seal them well enough and I ended up with a few minor leaks.

I could live with the small leaks but then the transmission front seal gave out and I started losing a lot of oil into the bell housing.
Only four bolts hold the transmission to the bell housing - how hard can it be to drop the tranny?:worms:

If you didnt notice the chipped teeth before you wont notice them once the covers back on:hillbilly:
Well since there weren't any toothy pieces in the bottom of the tranny I'm going to claim it was that way when I got it! ;)

Stepmurr - that looks like quite the job. I like your creative soution of pulling out from the cab!

Wish I could take credit for the idea but I got it from reading the Orion threads. Apparently the easiest way is to remove the engine and drive train as one unit, and going in thru the door is the second easiest method.

I could pull the transmission out of my old Toyota pickup with my bare hands and support it on my chest, but the cruiser's tranny and transfer case is quite the beast to get out and put back.

I could pull the transmission out of my old Toyota pickup with my bare hands and support it on my chest, but the cruiser's tranny and transfer case is quite the beast to get out and put back.

When I first bought my 68 the clutch locked up about six months later. I pulled the transmission and transfer case by sliding it on the chest and reinstalled the same way. This was with a aluminum transfer case which is lighter but still a bear. Not sure if I did this because I was just younger in 1974 or just a lot dumber? Reason the clutch locked up was PO mechanic didn't fold the tabs over and lock the bolts for the flywheel. Poor old cruiser is sitting waiting for a clutch replacement from my son using it. It know has H42 installed. I used a huge transmission jack to install it. Earlier this year I picked up a 2000# transmission jack from a mudder. Hopefully now that it's cooling off I can get it replaced and back on the road.

:eek: nekid!

80bshop.jpg
80sh2.jpg

Murf, is the roof rack off permanently? Painting the roof too now?

The Body Shop manager says he wants to do the entire outside, not just the sides - who am I to argue?

Some thoughts came up:
1) do I leave the rook rack off? Im not sure, never use it but doesnt hurt anything...Opinions for or against?
2) Flareless? Nah, the tire and wheel assys stick out too far for that and I dont need to get sprayed in every puddle when my window is down.
3) Remove the back sombrero emblem, fill with weld, paint over - yes, clean it up!

I noticed several layers of dirt under hard to reach places from many, many dirt roads. I also can tell that the truck rides higher without the heavy bumpers on it!

Lose the rack, keep the flares. If it was mine, I would lose the various emblems with the exception of the grill sombrero

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom