What did you do to your Cruiser today? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

19594891968_2de4ecd169_z.jpg

Getting closer... should have some time next week to get these installed.

I've had the IronMan Foam Cell Pro suspension istalled for a while now and have had the chance to put some miles on it. I went with the IronMan Medium "Performance" springs. I considered doing the constant load as I have a winch and bumper but my weight was right in between their suggested weights for the Medium "Performance" springs and the Heavy "Constant Load" springs. I don't have a rear bumper yet and sadly most of my miles are on road as the FJ is my DD these days so I error'd on the side of a softer spring. With the lift kit I also installed SPC adjustable Upper Control Arms so I could get everything aligned properly. I also ran with my front sway bar off for a few weeks to try that out, many people run without it on the FJ's after adding coilovers and quite a few seem to like this setup enough that they leave them off permanently. This was entertaining but I much prefer the driving dynamics with the swaybar installed and will be leaving it on. Highspeed cornering the truck actually remained quite flat but sharp low speed corner caused the truck to dive into the corner and replicating "The moose test" resulted in some fairly dramatic body roll. If anyone know's of a manufacturer producing quick disconnect swaybar links I would buy some in a heartbeat.

The on road ride is very plush, especially at highway speeds. I would say in some cases it almost feels too smooth and you lose a lot of feedback from the road. It took me a little while to adjust to this. Strangely this doesn't seem to hold true off road. While the ride is massively improved I still get great feedback. It seems like about 65-70 MPH is where the suspension really smooths out and you stop feeling any feedback from the smaller road imperfections like expansion joints and broken pavement.

Overall I'm really pleased with it at this point. I definitely feel like I need more weight out back, the suspension is more balanced front to back (By this I mean the rear end is harsher than the front with no weight back there, with the bike on the hitch the rear smooths out and feels the same as the front) when I have my dirtbike on the hitch than when I am driving around without it. I think it will be just about right with a rear bumper and a couple Jerry cans back there. The ride off-road is fantastic. I have had the opportunity to drive my friends stock 07 FJ Cruiser TRD (Same Bilsteins my TT had prior to the IronMans) back to back with my FJ. The difference is quite frankly shocking, especially at speed. I would be driving his FJ 30% slower and slamming the suspension into the bumps stops and wrestling to keep it on the road, we would do the same section in my FJ, significantly faster, never bottom the suspension and it was a much more relaxed drive, I wasn't fighting to keep the truck pointed where I wanted.

I haven't had the chance to run any challenging trails with the new suspension yet, I am curious to see how it does on rocky technical terrain. I felt like the stock suspension did an amazing job of putting the traction down and I hope the IronMan setup is equal or better in this regard.

I posted some dashcam footage of one of our runs comparing the IronMan Suspension in my FJ to the Stock Bilstein suspension in my friends FJ. We had just done the same run in his FJ before taking a lap in mine. The commentary is a little colorful but I thought it lent some better insight into our impressions.

Ryan good report. ^^

Today I sold my roof top tent to a buyer from Phoenix. Going on either a 60 or 100.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Replaced my custom sliders with a new set from Hefty Fabworks. They are stronger and better looking. My old ones are for sale asking $500.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom