What are you working on? (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

$68 engine rebuild

aug16 oilpressure.jpg

FINALLY got a couple of free weekends and finished up the garage project. Unfortunately they were a couple of the hottest weekends of the summer, but thrilled to be done.

This winter I added a 100A breaker box, added outlets (2x220 and several 20A circuits)

image.jpeg

Then re-drywalled, but had to wait out the ridiculously cold spring to sand and spackle.

image.jpeg

So, about 6 months later it was finally ready to paint. At this point my wife was so tired of not having steps in the garage, she offered to help paint in the 100 degree heat.

image.jpeg

We painted the color of "free." My father in law is a contractor so we mixed a bunch of his old paint together:

image.jpeg

A couple weekend later, and we are back in business!

image.jpeg

Still a long way to go, the plan is to add a work bench to the back-right corner, and an air compressor, for starters - plus lots of shelving.

As for the 40: I'm eager to move the 40 back in, and start moving all the tools back up. Once I get all the tools back in place, the next step is removing the front clip from the 40, and doing the massive driveline relocation I've been putting off for years...excited, but definitely more than a little freaked out, to dive in.

Reactions: SAS
Good work! I’m in the midst of an addition for my workshop, which also has things in the main workshop tied up, so I know the pain of such things.

Had a special guest @Pacer in the shop late last week to install a single drawer cargo system in the back of his truck.

He wanted a simple platform that could mount in the back, accommodate his Maxtraxx, compressor and ammo box. He already has a fridge slide he will mount to the platform. Photo of the platform and integrated single drawer.
021.JPG

Drawer has removable dividers. The first cubby is a perfect fit for a 6 pack. The last cubby is a perfect fit for the green propane cylinders.
006.JPG

Stowed above the drawer is a pull out table top made out of King Starboard. Perfect cutting board and food prep surface. It drops into place on top of the drawer when fully extended. You can close the drawer with the top in place if you like.
007.JPG

Detail view:
008.JPG

The sizing of the box works perfectly to have the tabletop double as a sleeping platform! @Pacer will need to place some gear bags under the top, but it will provide a nice flat surface to bridge the gap to the folded 2nd row:
011.JPG

Some simple dowels help to locate the top in place:
012.JPG

Thanks for letting us help you out with this project! These are fun little side projects that we squeeze in amongst our other work. Really cool to build custom solutions that work for exactly the way each person uses their truck.

Rick- your garage looks awesome, not like my dirty dingy block garage!

Ben- your work is awesome I'm sure Aaron is thrilled with the new cabinet!

Rick- your garage looks awesome, not like my dirty dingy block garage!

Ben- your work is awesome I'm sure Aaron is thrilled with the new cabinet!

Thanks, Gary!

Give it a couple months and it will be back to dirty/dingy!

Good work! I’m in the midst of an addition for my workshop, which also has things in the main workshop tied up, so I know the pain of such things.

Yeah - every tool is in the basement, in piles, since we recently moved and don't own a single shelving unit...it has been pretty annoying trying to find the right tool to work on cars or finish the garage! Next step is some shelves.

Then I have to figure out why my hand-me-down table saw won't adjust to "square" before I can start ripping boards for the work bench.

Lastly - does anyone have any recommendations for air compressors? Seems like the specs and prices are really all over the map - I am leaning toward this one:

Puma TE-5040V 5-HP 40-Gallon Two-Stage Air Compressor 208/230V 1-Phase

Because it is all cast iron, oil lubricated, fairly compact, and in the ballpark of my budget - but for a 2 stage pump the CFM seems rather low...it's probably still more than I need, but there are single stage pumps rated significantly higher...I'm guessing they'd probably shorter duty cycle or relying on a 60 gallon "tank buffer" to get those ratings.

14 CFM is definitely plenty to run most air tools it would seem, but it might be border line if I decide to sand an paint the truck on my own, down the road...

Last edited:
Had a special guest @Pacer in the shop late last week to install a single drawer cargo system in the back of his truck.

Another high quality drawer system! What does this make now, seven units built?

Thanks Crusha!

@Pacer was lucky #7. See some photos here: @AndrewHadji was #8. Stiflers Hzj75rv Mild build

Who's going to be #9? Would love to do one or two more over the winter while things in the shop aren't quite so busy. :)

Yeah - every tool is in the basement, in piles, since we recently moved and don't own a single shelving unit...it has been pretty annoying trying to find the right tool to work on cars or finish the garage! Next step is some shelves.

Then I have to figure out why my hand-me-down table saw won't adjust to "square" before I can start ripping boards for the work bench.

Yep - things in piles, things out of alignment, things jury-rigged for the time being… Blah!

Lastly - does anyone have any recommendations for air compressors?

I’ve been running a Quincy QT-5 (LINK) for about sixteen years now - no complaints.

I’ve been running a Quincy QT-5 (LINK) for about sixteen years now - no complaints.

Ha, I'd love that compressor but it's a solid grand past my price point. One of the reasons are started looking into the Puma's - they seem well made at a price I might be able to think about.

Ha, I'd love that compressor but it's a solid grand past my price point. One of the reasons are started looking into the Puma's - they seem well made at a price I might be able to think about.
I like Puma! I've heard they make most of the decent compressors on the market these days anyway.

I like Puma! I've heard they make most of the decent compressors on the market these days anyway.

Yeah - I'm curious to see if they seem to stack up in comparison to the "tried and true" Quincys and Ingersol-Rand Compressors - they seem like the "new kids on the block" right now. The set-up on the one I'm looking at is interesting too - a twin, 5HP compressor on a pretty small (40gal) tank...

Given that I have no experience beyond my harbor freight oiless pancake compressor, I'm sure just about anything is an upgrade...

Last edited:
Not Toyota related but have been working on an outdoor area over the weekend. The Mrs. finally called my bluff. She figured out that the quickest way to have area built for a hot tub was to buy the hot tub and set up a delivery date! Check mate.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom