Welding up the lockrite ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm at the point of giving up on the lunchbox & there sh@#ty little pins & at this point in time don't have the coins at hand to go to a detroit ...
I'm wondering if anyone here has welded a lunchbox ??
Did you weld the whole thing or just the cams ? as that would still leave the pins to take all the abuse it really wouldn't solve anything ..
Does anyone make a spool or mini spool for toyota 9•5 ?
Cheers all

Spools are cheap.

Or hit a shop that does installs and pick up a take out center section.

20150523_123842.jpg
Do you have the stock side gears and spiders? If you weld them like pictured you can still get the c clips in and out.

I run a welded semi float 80 series rear in a desert race truck. I have never had an issue with my carrier welded like I have pictured. This car sees some serious abuse.

You can modify a 12 bolt mini spool to fit the cruiser carrier but ins not worth the trouble.

I've only ever had detroits or full spools in previous trucks but this came with the lunchbox lockers installed n I thought at the time they sounded pretty cool .. The PO installed them 4 + yrs ago n says he never sheared one but since I've had it have had the rear cetre out 4 times to change out snapped pins ... It lets go on the same set of steps when slipping backwards then hooking up when it lands .. I've wound the turbo up & running 38•5s other than that the truck is much the same ..
I am on my way to pull a lsd centre from a 60 now so will just pack that as tight as possible for now ... All's well that ends well ...

Rusty tlc , does anyone make a spool for the toyota ??
Rusty nails , I'm in Australia so only ff down here brother . No circlips for me :D

I think I found your issue. Lockrites are only good for 35's and under according to Marlin crawler

Ok even easier. Weld the third up! The only spool is a modified 12 bolt mini spool

Rusty tlc , does anyone make a spool for the toyota ??
Rusty nails , I'm in Australia so only ff down here brother . No circlips for me :D
I never considered that there wouldn't be a spool, but I didn't find one.

So I just drove two & a half hrs to the middle of bumf@#k to pull an lsd from a torched 60 it turned out to be a standard open 3rd , he did throw in a brand spankers set of aisin front locking hubs , for nowt , so it wasn't all bad ...
looks like the welder will be coming out after all ...
I'm going to do some experiments on the lockrite .. it seems those 4 wee pins have a lot expected of them so we are going to bore the existing holes to half inch & make the pins from tool steel .. same length just a bit more grunt .. any thoughts ??? ..
cheers for the responses everyone

Lockrights are made from sintered steel. So they don't take to welding well. However, if you drive a couple pieces of steel in between the two inner locker halves, that will hold.

Now that you have the full open carrier, weld it up as rusty nail suggested!

Gm 12 mini spools do work just fine.

1432477395485.jpg

^Yeah, I tried that and blew it to hell. Getting to the c-clips is also a horrific pain in the ass.

Yeah, your lunchbox locker was tttiiiirrrreeedddd..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom