water pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mntoyx4.com
Water pump died the other day. Thank goodness it was like 5 degrees, and I was able to make it home. After scouring the city, I finally located a rebuilt unit I could pick up the next day. I then proceeded to spend way to long outside trying to install the pump. I got everything hunky dory until I tried bolting the fan back up. Let me say first, that bolting or unbolting that dang fan has got to be one of the worst jobs on my cruiser. If anyone has any great wisdom to impart onto me, it may save me hours of skinning my knuckels on the radiator, not to mention my neighbor's strange looks as I cuss up a storm under the hood, and did I mention it was like 5 degrees?

So back to the story. The fan will not fit onto the water pump. The shaft that sticks out from the pump seems to be a tad to wide. I was thinking I may have to get a few nuts on to kind of press it in, but oh, heck no! So unless anyone can point out any faults with my deduction, I gotta drive all the way across town with fan in tow, and hope they have one that actually fits.

Thought I'd try the wisdom of the ancients before I trek across town tomorrow. Mabye It's just my fault for trying to install a rebuilt part onto my cruiser. I have angered the cruiser gods!

Another of my musings included the thought of trying to file down the width of the shaft. Any thoughts? I'd hate to destroy it, then try to return it.

yada yada yada yada
THX

i had the same problem last sept. ended up having to spend another 85 bucks on a new fan clutch. it fit. never did get to the bottom of the over sized shaft on the pump.

Sounds to me that the remanufacturer is trying to save $'s and is using a impeller shaft that fits something else.

The sooner that aftermarket water pump that doesn't fit is removed and replaced with the correct Aisin pump, the better.
Everything should fit perfectly.

Cheap at RockAuto.com

image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom