Warn Winch clocking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just found this photo on eBay's auction found below:

eBay Motors: Toyota : FJ45 Land Cruiser (item 250271500250 end time Jul-23-08 13:40:48 PDT)

and no, I'm not involved in the auction.

My question is....how did they clock a Warn winch that way in the frame rails? I've seen a number of the Warn M winches....but never 'clocked' that way.

Kinda cool idea!!
1a3a_3.jpg

Big $$ for the rest of that rig. :eek:

For $39.9K I would expect something better than Home Depot style electrical connectors.

That is an interesting way to mount the winch there. What are the advantages or disadvantages for doing it that way? Lower center of gravity and more protection for the winch?

Dan

For a planetary winch like that one its probably no big deal, but I wouldn't take that for granted. An 8274, for example, isn't set up to deal with its oil sitting anywhere but on the bottom.

While I think its a fair guess that a planetary winch isn't quite so assymetrical, it wouldn't surprise me at all if some of them had seals/sumps that didn't like to be turned on their side.

those winches can be mounted any way you want. Not a big deal at all. It reduces the amount of radiator that is covered and makes for a simple, clean install.

good luck if you have a sag conversion tho...

btw, nice window defrosters...

Sure looks like a lot of work went into that truck!

those winches can be mounted any way you want. Not a big deal at all. It reduces the amount of radiator that is covered and makes for a simple, clean install.

good luck if you have a sag conversion tho...

Another benefit of mounting it this way is there's no shear on the bolts, if you do a hard pull.

Clocking those winches is easy. You just undo all of those allen screws, and pull the clutch off the shaft, turn to the desired orientation and re-install on the shaft. It's a little fiddley on re-assembly but not hard. That gets the lver up where you can reach it easily.

You can't clock an 8274 at all.

I've been studying the Warn winch for a while now....and I know that the "U" shaped support that goes on the 'top' of the winch is where the 4- mounting bolts are for....at least that's how they look online.

What I can't get is how those 4-bolt holes are now 90 degrees from the original "U" shaped upper support....isn't that the same piece of metal on the winch housing? Sure looks like it in the photos.

And no, you are correct. This is a planetary winch....no oil sump to deal with.

But, the 8274 is a much better designed winch...and you can't 'clock' them.

CCJ-

Clocking those winches is easy. You just undo all of those allen screws, and pull the clutch off the shaft, turn to the desired orientation and re-install on the shaft. It's a little fiddley on re-assembly but not hard. That gets the lver up where you can reach it easily.

You can't clock an 8274 at all.

That individual one is not altered at all. But you are right, if the guy had just pulled the allen heads off on the DS of that winch he could have put the lever back on the top..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom