Warn 8274 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Find a Warn dealer in your area or call Warn. Their website doesn't have all the info, and I was surprised at how far back you can get replacement parts.

Heres a good source.

http://warnserviceparts.com/

Just about anything you need is still available. You'll be out of luck on the "bellviews" on some items, but just an "older" 8274 is no problem.

I have mine completely apart and on my work bench right now (and I mean completely). After inspecting all the parts, very few will need to be replaced. Just seals... and friction plates for the brake on mine. Everything else is fine.

I may do a lower end kit just for the heck of it, but nothing major needed on mine (not even brushes on the motor).

Does anybody have a wiring diagram for the solenoid pack on this 8274? I want to get rid of the trailer harness set up on it. The three wires are cut.

This is not an 8274-50.

You can pretty much see how its wired here:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/8274/

If you can't tell from that, I'll post some pics. from mine when I get around to cleaning the solenoid contacts.

Is it as simple as drilling and tapping a pipe plug hole in the lower case?

Yes, but you'll want to be careful where you do it.

I put my "fill hole" on top of the case where the model and serial number sticker used to be. If you split the case... you can see exactly where to put it in order to avoid hitting the top gear.

The lower one... I put near the bottom on the side between two reinforcing ribs.

This one is kind of tricky because you don't have much room between the case and the bottom gear (about 3/8" tops). So...a tapered tap won't let you get the job done very well.

You can use a taper or plug tap to start a thread, then use a bottoming tap to finish (if you have both). Since I had mine all apart (gears too) I just used a tapered tap.

There is a place on the very bottom of the case where you could probably miss the bottom gear, but it puts the hole in the radius of the case and I didn't like that choice for sake of strength.

I am also going to "vent" my case to help keep water from forming in it again.

Did you ever find out anything on your older one? I just bought an 8631 s/n 212136, and I think the windings might be shorting out. It'll still drag my 40 down the street with all 4 locked up if it's tied down (with a coefficient of friction of 1 that would be ~ 4,000 lbs line pull), but it's slower than I expected and the motor heats up faster than I figured it would.

Thanks,
Steve

Can anybody help out on the age or vintage of my collection of these. The Warn website does not go back this old, or I cannot find the info.

I was specifically looking for a parts breakdown to see if they as the same as each other.

Warn 8631 s/n 217640

Warn 8274 308344 (This is the one newest to me.)

Warn 8274 s/n 37489 ref A0

I also have a Warn/ Bellview 6000

And a standard Bellview

I know the Bellview versions are not even close to the 8274 series.

Here is what he got.

Please note the plastic engage/disengage knob on the right of the winch.

I even threw in the Jeep mounting plate.:D
View attachment 189752

I think that must be what I have as well... any info or help appreciated. Note the destroyed 3rd solenoid!!! This is a 3 soli pack...
Thanks! -Big.

IMG_1380.JPG

IMG_1382.JPG

IMG_1400.JPG

IMG_1420.JPG

IMG_1422.JPG

An Fj40 with a Warn 8274....Priceless Classics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom