Warn 8274 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

D'Animal

Rescuer of Beagles & Landcruisers
Threads
I guess my wifes horse farrier has been eyeballing the old, old Warn M6000 series on her CJ-8. I bought it new in 1988 and it has been on my mini as well as 8 other trucks I owned.

A few months ago, I took it off and put it in the TJM bumper on my 60. He asked what happened to it. She told him what I did.

He said he sure would like to have that winch. His is too big for his Wrangler.

Wife asked me about it and i told him that I would take a look at his and think about swapping.

He brought his winch out today to see If I would swap straight across.

Here is what he had to trade.
DSCF2682.JPG
DSCF2683.JPG

Good score. That's an old one with the metal plug cover. I think I have an old 3 wire actuator if you need it. Let me know because it will take a while to find in my garage/parts pile.

The old solenoids are basically unavailable, so you may need to upgrade to the new solenoid pack (available from Warn).

The first thing I would do is split the winch case, pour out the old lube and put new gear oil in it. While it's open, consider adding a drain plug to the bottom of the case and a fill to the top.

The first thing I would do is split the winch case, pour out the old lube and put new gear oil in it. While it's open, consider adding a drain plug to the bottom of the case and a fill to the top.

Is it as simple as drilling and tapping a pipe plug hole in the lower case?

Hi All:

"Its a Jeep thing - you would not understand!"

Yep, I don't understand! :eek:

Good score there "D'Animal!"

Regards,

Alan

Those were stock items?

Yes-The metal and early plastic plugs had just 3 positions. It made it easy to hot wire for various acts of vandalism.

Later ones are 5 wire, so hot wiring the solenoids is nearly impossible.

You can also get a whole new solenoid box from Warn if this one does not work.

The inside of mine was filled with the nastiest goo you ever saw when I got it, so you really should split that case and look.

I asked him three time if he was sure he wanted to swap straight across.

He kept saying his was too heavy for this wrangler.

I could not argue, I don't own a wrangler. :D

so does he work out of his wrangler? i do quite a bit of farrier work, i couldn't image using a wrangler for my work truck.

now a 40 or a 45 wouild be a different story. :cool:

so does he work out of his wrangler? i do quite a bit of farrier work, i couldn't image using a wrangler for my work truck.

now a 40 or a 45 wouild be a different story. :cool:

Nope, he has one of the baddest slickest trailer setups for the farrier business.

His wrangler is his weekend toy when he is not on horseback.

Did you buy direct from WARN?

Do you remember how much (approx) it was to upgrade to the new solenoid pack. I have three or four of these now and they are all the older vintage / pre 8274-50.

Yep-I got it direct from Warn. I'll tell you the full story next time you come by. I think they go for $150 or so. Whne I was looking around, I did stumble on a source for the old solenoids, I just can't remember where. Warn lists them as a discontinued part.

You can take the serial number and Warn will tell you when they made it. Mine is a 1991.

Can anybody help out on the age or vintage of my collection of these. The Warn website does not go back this old, or I cannot find the info.

I was specifically looking for a parts breakdown to see if they as the same as each other.

Warn 8631 s/n 217640

Warn 8274 308344 (This is the one newest to me.)

Warn 8274 s/n 37489 ref A0

I also have a Warn/ Bellview 6000

And a standard Bellview

I know the Bellview versions are not even close to the 8274 series.

Last edited:
Dang

Where is Poser when you need him. :D

Can anybody help out on the age or vintage of my collection of these. The Warn website does not go back this old, or I cannot find the info.

I was specifically looking for a parts breakdown to see if they as the same as each other.

Warn 8631 s/n 217640

Warn 8274 308344 (This is the one newest to me.)

Warn 8274 s/n 37489 ref A0

I also have a Warn/ Bellview 6000

And a standard Bellview

I know the Bellview versions are not even close to the 8274 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom