Warn 8274 winch solenoid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lee, that was your thread I just posted? I thought it might be with the plates but wasn't positive. Thanks for sending me a pm. Where did you get your wires made up for the Albright? I went to a couple local auto part shops and neither had wire making capabilities.

I sent Warn an email so hopefully they might have some insight on the specs.

I've have a few questions for you about your contact solenoids. I own a M8000 and it is about 15 years old. It has sat for the last 7 years. I just took it apart, replaced the seals and re-greased it. Also had it re-powder coated. It looks like new. I did telephone Warn tech(s) during this rebuild and found them to be very helpful.

So my solenoid or switch is now bad. Can't get it to work. I bypassed the two and the motor will spin out and in. The solenoid is so old I'm thinking about just replacing it. The switch I have is only a three wire switch. I know I will need a new switch #83665 if I purchase part #83664.

I see part #83664 is the new replacement solenoid for the M8000. Is this a contact solenoid? Is there any data, spec, or tech information? What country is this manufactured in? I have heard rumors that it may be manufactured by Albright Company for Warn, any truth to this?

I was also looking at part #34971. Is there any data, spec, or tech information? What country is this manufactured in? I have heard rumors that it may be manufactured by Albright Company for Warn, any truth to this? Does it meet the specifications of an Albright DC88P.

Should I be cautious about purchasing Warn parts thruogh online sites, such as Amazon and this listing.. Amazon.com: WARN 34971 Contractor, 12V, SW, W/FACTOR Y Bracket: Automotive

Just exploring options here. I looked at some online forums for some ideas and knowledge and there seems to be a lot of speculation about various parts that can be adapted to function as replacement contact solenoids. Here is one interesting thread on https://forum.ih8mud.com/winching-recovery/464180-warn-8274-winch-solenoid.html

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Andrew

Warn got back to me... Yes their new style contact solenoid is made by Albright in England. :) Part #34971 is made for their industrial winch and if purchased it has no control box to go with it. You would have to wire it in to everything and likely put it in your engine bay for protection. Part #83664 is the new contact control pack that they sell with the M8000. It comes with a protective cover and you would need part #83665 the switch to go with it.

Warn also agreed that there is a market for counterfeit parts and to be cautious. It sounded like it was prevalent with the ATV winches.

In my case they no longer have part #2040 the old style mechanical solenoids in stock and are not getting them anymore.

Hope this helps..

Andrew

Lee, that was your thread I just posted? I thought it might be with the plates but wasn't positive.

Yeah, same license plates and same user name there as here.

Thanks for sending me a pm. Where did you get your wires made up for the Albright? I went to a couple local auto part shops and neither had wire making capabilities.

No sweat. I had mine made at the NAPA auto parts store closest to me, but it's a small-town, old-fashioned place that still does stuff like make cables to any length from any gauge you want.

For the record, I'm not anti-Superwinch at all.

I would have liked to have received some spec's back from them, and think the reason for not publishing them a bit more than just silly.
But to be honest, I would much prefer testimonials from users that have basically beat the heck out of one. ;)

Although Superwinch 'might not' honor the 3 year warranty if not used on Superwinch products, as Sully pointed out ...... the fact that they do warranty it for 3 years speaks well to their confidence in it's longevity.
It being the contactor used in their Talon winches having 5 to 6 HP motors is (IMHO) icing on the cake for those of us using the 9.5 XP's 6 HP motor in an 8274 .

My posts might read like I don't like Superwinch, but that's not what they are about at all.
Just trying to sort out the facts because I couldn't confirm that it was an Albright (and therefore have faith that the Albright DC88P spec's were applicable to the Superwinch) and I couldn't find any "hard use" reports ...... that I would actually prefer to see.
I trust you guys a lot more than a spec sheet and/or advertisement hype.

Other than wanting to support jobs at home, I really don't care/have concerns if it's made in England by Albright, the US by GE, or China by Titoma, as long as it performs.

I'm not sure yet which way I'll go ..... the newer 'tall/short' Warn solenoids, the Warn 83664 pack (with it's 1 to 2 month lead time!!) an Albright DC88P or the Superwinch 90-14452, but I have some time before I need to make that final discussion.

Thanks to all that contributed to this thread, it has been a good learning experience.

Oops ........ I need to make a correction to my posts.

I made a mistake when I reported that the 90-14452 is used on the Talons series winches.

Apparently it's actually an upgrade for the original X9 and S9000 series winches.

These winches have 4.2 HP motors (not the 5 to 6HP of the Talons) and at 9000lbs pull, have a draw of 420 amps.

For comparative purposes the 6HP motor in a Warn 9.5XP draws 425 amps at 8000lbs and 480 amps at the full 9500lbs.

So if you apply this to a 8274 with 6HP 9.5XP motor, and you have faith in the spec's/load charts, it's probably good to go.

I'd still like to have some hard use reports with that configuration, but I probably wouldn't balk at it if that was my budget for a contactor in an 8274/9.5XP motor combo.

Sorry for the goof up ......... :eek:

On edit: I found this a cut-away drawing of the Superwinch 90-14452 that I thought might be of some interest ......

Superwinch 90-14452.jpg
Superwinch 90-14452.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom