Warn 8274, solenoid gone bad? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yeah, I picked up a new to me 8274 last weekend. I have been working on getting it cleaned up, checked out. I opened it up, checked out the gears and everything looks great. The wiring however, is pretty nasty. It was sitting in Nevada for a while, and looks like it. The guy replaced one of the solenoids before I bought it, and it worked fine. However, once I had it home, and ran all the wire out to respool it tighter and nicer, it spooled in 90% of the way, I paused for a minute to untangle some cable, and went to start spooling in again and it stopped working. It still runs out under power just fine, but when I try to go in.. it just clicks. I haven't had a lot of time to try to mess with stuff, is there a way I can jump the power to bypass the controller and make it spool in without the controller?

I will likely just replace the whole thing with a newer style solenoid, once I have some extra money, but I'd like to see if I can't get it working with what I've got for now, and upgrade it once I have some extra money.

Oh.. I guess my main question, is that the symptom of a bad solenoid.. just a click instead of it powering anything? I have never owned a winch before, and honestly am pretty week with electronics in general.

Yeah, I totally plan to replace them all with the Albright when I can afford to. I think I am going to rewire what's there... I went out today, and moved around some wires and cleaned the contacts, and it's working now. I think it's just dirty/rusty contacts and bad wiring to the controller. Thanks.

Well... go it mounted up today on the new bumper... and wired up and went to test it.. and click, click... cliiiiiiiiiick. Sad sound. Still spools out fine, but won't go in again. I cleaned up the contacts and still nothing. Screw it.. came in ad ordered the Albright. I bought the winch because we are taking me and more trips farther and farther from home and sometimes solo.. I really need it to be reliable.

The other issues I'm having.. I can't the knob to freespool to move at all. It's totally frozen up. I took it off and oiled it and still nothing. Any ideas... I won't want to break anything forcing on it.

The shaft of the free-spool knob gets corroded and will not move. Common problem.

Have you taken the winch apart yet? I'd do that, since if it was stored outside you likely have a mix of oil and water inside the winch. Open the case, clean it out and at least replace the lube, even if you don't want to do a full rebuild. While in there, you can address the free-spool knob.

Which Allbright did you get? The Warn one is close to $200, the Runva is $50. There is a Superwinch one out there too.

I did take apart the case. It made so much noise I figured it had to be bone dry. It wasn't too bad, there was a little oil left, but I went ahead and drained it and replaced it with fresh oil. The gears all looked brand new, I couldn't see any wear at all so I just closed it back up for now.

I got the Superwinch one. It seems like it's got good reviews all over the interweb, and it was a decent price. It's still sitting on the kitchen table... I have been too busy to get back to the cruiser the last few days. I rewired a the crusty wires and it's working again for now, I will replace the solenoids before I actually go off somewhere alone trusting it to work if need it.

I likely will rip the whole thing apart and replace seals, and clean up and paint it at some point. I don't want to get into anything big right now, I'm having surgery on my shoulder in 3 weeks, and I'll be a cripple for a few months after that so I'm trying to tie up loose ends with unfinished projects, not add to the list. Once I'm good again, I wouldn't mind doing a minor rebuild. Seals, wiring, just check everything out and make sure it's 100%.

4 months later I finally got around to putting on the new controller... WOW. It was super easy, much cleaner. Everything just looks nicer... and.. it works way better. Less amps being drawn, it's not warming up all the cables, it seems not to bog down as bad once under a heavy load. Very happy. Only thing is the cover doesn't fit back on... I just zip tied it on for now... going to have to figure something less redneck. Or.. not. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom