Warn 12,000 stopped working far a few min (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a Warn M12000 that i bought used and it was not working when i got it. I opened it up, cleaned everything, re greased the inside and put new seals on it. Then i put 4 new Warn solenoids in it. It worked like a champ when i would use it just to spool in and out. I have never used it for recovery until yesterday. We went to a swimming event yesterday in Chattanooga. After several days of rain they had 300 cars parked in a flooded grassy field right by the river. I parked the truck and told my wife "Someone is going to get stuck." I figured we would be pulling one or two cars out. By the end of the day we must have pulled 20 cars out. Most cars i just put a snatch strap on and barely pulled at all. But i did need to use the winch 3 times on the bigger truck. First one was the toughest. The property owner had a huge diesel F350 quad cab 4x4 that he had barred to the axles. The Warn was slow but pulled it out like a champ. I pulled it about 20', mostly flat maybe a very slight up hill little "ridge" that was giving them trouble getting over. 30 min later i pulled them out again but only about 5', wasnt stuck as bad. Then maybe 30 min later i pulled a full sized Ford passenger van WITH a loaded up boat trailer with about 15 kayaks on it. This one i only pulled a few feet just to get the rear wheel out of the hole it was in. Warn worked like a champ every time. I know those two trucks are heavy but i dont know if that constitutes a "hard pull".

The Warn worked great but as i was spooling it in after the last pull i had a moment where i hit the "spool in" switch and got nothing. This was with no load on it. Just putting the line away. I dont remember if i heard the "click" or not. But 30 seconds later it Spooled in fine. Do these have a "over heat" protection on them or something? Did i use it enough to cause heat build up? Or should i open it up and check the connections on my solenoids?

Similar experience recently with my 8274. Some of this may or may not be applicable to your 12k...but maybe ??.

Can you 'power out' ? If you can power out but not power in, this might indicate one of your new solenoids has gone bad. Lightly tap the power in solenoids to see if that gets it to work. A tap got mine working, but it was intermittent, sometimes yes and sometimes no.

I opened the power in solenoids (8274 has 4 solenoids), cleaned up the burn marks on the contacts, and this got it to work. Then bought new solenoids. Don't know about your 12k, but the solenoids on the 8274 are covered by a top with 4 rivets. A bit of a pain to open up but doable.

You can also 'jump' the solenoids to get it working. If that gets it working, you might need to buy new again.

I spoke with the Warn tech, and asked his suggestion on if I should stay with the solenoids or upgrade to the Albright contactors. He convinced me to stay with the solenoids. So I bought a replacement...and a spare...and threw in the repaired one into the carried spares, just in case.

Good luck, John

Last edited:
Thanks. I will play with it some more. I should probably figure out how to jump them while sitting at home in case I need to do it in the field

Don't know if your winch overheated or not... But the M12000 does not have any overheat protection.

Typically this winch needs a 1:8 run/cool cycle to keep temps under control.

That's 1 minute running, with a 8 minute cool down on long pulls.

If it overheats under load or the batt volts get too low, it will stop as you described.

I asked Warn about this, & was told that stalling a motor due to overheating it is the best way to ruin it.

You can replace with another motor, the white clixon is closing at 400+°F. (204 degrees Celsius!) (thermal cutoff)

My 12000 Motor is replaced (downgrade HP:() with 24 Volt series 9: Warn mrv-c-3, M39333 D Bosch 491
This motor has two small white wires and those are for the thermal switch WAR78354 on type WARN 9.5 and 16.5 TI (if that thermal switch fails only winch out and not in bypass it)
Warn_Thermometric Cut Out Switch WAR78354 thermal
In my motor I found a thermostat clixon # 63TM0110045 (no google...)

file.php

file.php

Replace with albright, dangerous things can lock themselves spooling in, very dangerous:

file.php

file.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom