(wanted) Functional 3 Speed TCase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for a functional 3 speed transfer case that I can bolt into my cruiser. Partial cases, parts, or broken cases are not helpful to me. Willing to Travel as far north as Flagstaff or as far south as Tucson.

What model case ? What vehicle ?

I 'think' I have one. It came out of a 75 FJ55. I do not have plans for it. I have not gone through it yet as it came (removed) from a pig that I purchased. It looks complete but it would need a once-over to make sure as you need to partially dismantle it to remove it from the trans.

Do you or others know if the spline count will match with that year tcase?

I 'think' I have one. It came out of a 75 FJ55. I do not have plans for it. I have not gone through it yet as it came (removed) from a pig that I purchased. It looks complete but it would need a once-over to make sure as you need to partially dismantle it to remove it from the trans.

Do you or others know if the spline count will match with that year tcase?

The 75 will have sixteen spline count.Three speeds which came in all Land Cruisers until early 74 were ten spline. Going from ten spline to sixteen was pretty easy as they lower geared case was used in early four speeds. Switching hte other way was harder. SOR sold a gear that worked with the later four speed T case with wider gears. That would still require a special rear bearing if needed. If the one from the 75 has a input gear count of twenty-nine teeth it would be as easy as changing the bearing, input gear, and PTO gear from three speed T case. 4/75 was the date Toyota changed all the gears in the T case. Later would have thirty-one teeth and need a bunch of stuff changed. As I remember the 65 FJ45 has a V8. Depending on transfer transmission only the input gear would need to be changed on the pre 4/75 T case. Some adapter only used a short spud shaft and PTO gear and rear bearing aren't needed.

Short answer if the 75 has twenty-nine teeth it was work pretty easy. If later and you only have spud shaft a later one would only require the special gear. The later one have wider/quieter gears but not geared as low. Personally if I planned on keeping it I would do a split case conversion. Stronger and most are geared like the early three speeds. I worked to set myself up to do it on at least three cruisers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom