Voltage gauge question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
does anyone else experience their voltage needle move in sync with their blinkers or wipers? I thought maybe since my last alternator was on its way out that it might have been the culprit, but now with my new mean green hi output alternator it still does it. Just wondering if anyone else has this non-issue?

Normal for stock for me. Did you research the true output of that Mean Green?

Yeah, at idle it's nearly double the amps of a stock alternator and it's max rated output is 200 Amps.

I just put a battery in. New fusible link, terminals, the whole shebang. Jumped my wifes GMC yesterday evening and noticed today my voltage was sitting squarely at the 50% mark riding in to work. Not happy at all. Sure enough when I shut it down after getting to my destination it seemed to drag a little. UGH. Im really not happy. BTW, my blinkers ALWAYS cause my voltage to dip. I guess it's time to search grounds.

No needle deflection with turn signals here but my battery recently stopped charging.

My FJ40 and FJ60 both have factory charging systems. They have incandescent lamps, not LEDs. When the 40 was brand new the meter would move perceptibly with the turn signals. Same with the 20 yr old FJ60.

I can see the meter react slightly to all electrical loads on both vehicles.

If you are comparing this to the voltmeters (and other "gauges") in most US vehicles bear in mind that most of them are not really gauges, they are idiot lights masquerading as gauges.

My FJ40 and FJ60 both have factory charging systems. They have incandescent lamps, not LEDs. When the 40 was brand new the meter would move perceptibly with the turn signals. Same with the 20 yr old FJ60.

I can see the meter react slightly to all electrical loads on both vehicles.

If you are comparing this to the voltmeters (and other "gauges") in most US vehicles bear in mind that most of them are not really gauges, they are idiot lights masquerading as gauges.

Am I correct that the 80 volt gauge should be at about 70% of max under normal running? I thought I read that somewhere...

Am I correct that the 80 volt gauge should be at about 70% of max under normal running? I thought I read that somewhere...

Can't help with that.

All I know about electrical systems is: (1) keep battery & alternator connections clean and tight, including all grounds to frame & engine. (2) every time you find a secondary ground somewhere, take it apart and clean it (3) hope for the best.

Yes, I would say about 70% up the scale is where mine sits when the system is charging properly.

Funny thing is that my low charge warning light above the the volt meter did not illuminate. I learned of the problem when she began to crank over slower. I know the light works because I saw it last year indicating a problem that was induced by lack of thouroghness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom