Virginia Bumper laws (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Texican

s-Moderator
Threads
Kristie called, her hubbie, Justin got a ticket today in the Whale for the rear bumper being too high.......:confused: :confused:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/safety.htm

And check this out.............

No vehicle shall be operated on a public highway if it has been modified by any means so as to raise its body more than three inches, in addition to any manufacturer's spacers and bushings, above the vehicle's frame rail or manufacturer's attachment points on the frame rail.

I guess this means body lift?

Butch

I lived in VA for 30 years. They are not lax and enforce the letter of the law...

You may be hosed regardless:

<<<"Alteration of suspension system; bumper height limits; raising body above frame rail. -- No person shall drive on a public highway any motor vehicle registered as a passenger motor vehicle if it has been modified by alteration of its altitude from the ground to the extent that its bumpers, measured to any point on the lower edge of the main horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of any bumper guards, are not within the range of fourteen inches to twenty-two inches above the ground.">>>

Here's the "trucks part":

<<<"No person shall drive on a public highway any motor vehicle registered as a truck if it has been modified by alteration of its altitude from the ground to the extent that its bumpers, measured to any point on the lower edge of the main horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of any bumper guards, do not fall within the limits specified herein for its gross vehicle weight rating category. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 4,500 pounds or less shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 28 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 28 inches. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 4,501 pounds to 7,500 pounds shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 29 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 30 inches. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 7,501 pounds to 15,000 pounds shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 30 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 31 inches. Bumper height limitations contained in this section shall not apply to trucks with gross vehicle weight ratings in excess of 15,000 pounds. For the purpose of this section, "truck" includes pickup and panel trucks, and "gross vehicle weight ratings" means manufacturer's gross vehicle weight ratings established for that vehicle as indicated by a number, plate, sticker, decal, or other device affixed to the vehicle by its manufacturer.">>>

After reading the link I read that the rear bumper can be no more than 30 inches from the ground. Is the Whale's bumper really that high? I wonder how high mine is.

edit: I should have added that this is for a "registered truck" "whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 4,501 pounds to 7,500 pounds".

Curiousity got me so I went and measured
Bottom of custom front bumper 25-1/2"
Bottom of stock rear bumper 23-1/2"

Thats with a 2.5 OME heavy lift and 285/75 AT tires. As far as I know there is no law in place in AZ about bumper height, or if there is the law doesn't care. Around here trucks are either mile high or scrapin pavement.

In Virginia, if you have aftermarket bumpers, they are supposed to measure to the frame. I have convinced cops in the past to consider my ARB strong enough to be measured to. That part of the rule was written for the ricer truck guys w/ the bumper facade's that touch the ground, but it backfired on the lifted guys.

Texican, where did he get pulled? Certain areas are far more stringent than others. Virginia Beach for example is awful. I was pulled for height in my old Jeep and was legal, but they walked around the rig till they found something illegal. The cops there just don't like lifted trucks :rolleyes:

Ary

Arya Ebrahimi said:
In Virginia, if you have aftermarket bumpers, they are supposed to measure to the frame. I have convinced cops in the past to consider my ARB strong enough to be measured to. That part of the rule was written for the ricer truck guys w/ the bumper facade's that touch the ground, but it backfired on the lifted guys.

Texican, where did he get pulled? Certain areas are far more stringent than others. Virginia Beach for example is awful. I was pulled for height in my old Jeep and was legal, but they walked around the rig till they found something illegal. The cops there just don't like lifted trucks :rolleyes:

Ary
Got pulled over in Richmond, Justin is in meetings so he is going to measure and call me back.........the rig in question has about 5-6'' of lift and they swapped to the 35" tires once she got home.....got a set of 37" for it......
It has an ARB in front and Kaymar in back
Butch

I'm a member of the BBRC with Kristie but haven't had a chance to see the Whale. This is the first time that I have ever heard of an 80 in the Richmond area having a problem. We have a member running J spring that hasn't been pulled over. I hope this is not a new trend. I wonder if putting on a trailer hitch will help? I know it won't change anything in accordance to the law but it will give the illusion that it is lower.

The other thing is that there are a lot of full size trucks running way more lift running around the Richmond area. As far as it being part of the annual inspection, my 60 just passed with 3" spring list. I'll have to see about the 80 bacause it's due this month although I have a good relatioship with my mechanic and I'm pretty sure he will pass it anyway.

I lived in Northern VA for 2 years, put 20K miles daily-driving the SOA Princess (pre-lowering, had to be taller than The Whale) with Venezuelan plates and never once got pulled over. Bad luck, I hope it's not a law enforcement trend...

Just out of curiosity I got 25.75 inches for the front and anywhere between 21.5 inch and 24.75 inch for the rear depending on whether or not the integrated hitch counts.

Even an 80 with 6 inches of lift isn't really that tall when you compare it to the lifted full size trucks out there. It seems that someone in VA has issues and doesn't want anyone to have fun.

Darwood said:
Just out of curiosity I got 25.75 inches for the front and anywhere between 21.5 inch and 24.75 inch for the rear depending on whether or not the integrated hitch counts.

Even an 80 with 6 inches of lift isn't really that tall when you compare it to the lifted full size trucks out there. It seems that someone in VA has issues and doesn't want anyone to have fun.

Wow, you've got the 6" lift and I have the 2.5" , yet your bumpers sit hardly more than an inch higher than mine in the rear and only 1/4" more in front.

MaddBaggins said:
Wow, you've got the 6" lift and I have the 2.5" , yet your bumpers sit hardly more than an inch higher than mine in the rear and only 1/4" more in front.

Well the type of bumper has alot to do with it. I noticed you have a high custom bumper while I have an ARB. Also the Kaymar isn't the highest clearance bumper out there.

This adds new food for thought with my contemplation of going to Slee's 6" lift for my 80.:doh:

I may not be a cruiser guy yet...but i have never had any problems in richmond. My last 2 jeeps have had 36" and 37" tires. My brother in law is a cop and I have several state trooper friends...and they all agree..they won't just pull you over for lift....they are hoping for something else when they pull you. Several guys in my club have had a few problems ( www.rivercitytrailrunners.org ) but they were driving stupid and attracted a little too much attention.

MD has a similar bumper height law. I don't remember the exact height but it was a major influence on my decision to go w/35's rather than 37's. IIRC, Right after I installed the 6" lift, my rear bumper sat just an inch under the maxim height. It has settled some since then. I once saw a policeman get out and measure the bumper while it was parked on the side of the road.
:beer:

I got a ticket in Harrisonburg for the same thing...except I was in a Nissan Pickup with a 1.5" lift. The State Trooper told me to get Truck tags and I would be legal.

I've never had a problem with my 80 (OME 863/864, Slee Spacers, 35s).

I know of a few ricers that have been pulled over due to these laws but none of my friends that have trucks nor I have had a single problem with the local cops. It could be that I have just been lucky, but I think that with only a 2.5" OME and 285s, that it doesnt look that high so they just leave me alone.

Cops outside of Paragon (in PA) will flag you down and kindly write you a nice pretty ticket too. Have seen it done.

wow...Zach McNelis is still alive ;)

I used to drive my soa 55 with 36's fairly regularly (it's down for some maintenance) and never had an issue. I had my 80 with standard OME lift and had a trooper roll up next to me and roll down his window...I though for sure he'd be pulling me over. He gave me a big thumbs up and told me not to be so hard on the jeeps (I had a Jeep Rescue Vehicle on the rear window)

I think the whale probably experienced a bit of isolated enforcement...I would be surprised if they did get another anytime soon.

You can switch to the heavier truck plates, but the problem is, for quite a few of the roads, your speed limit is isolated to 45 mph instead of 55 mph

bk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom