For Sale Vintage Utility Camping Trailer in So Cal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In my ongoing efforts to regroup from the warehouse fire, I have decided to finally let this piece of fine vintage Americana go from my collection. As indicated by the name tag under the bed, the trailer was originally made and sold by Utility, the company that makes the big tractor trailers, in 1940. Yes I said 1940. I bought it from the second owner, who happily used it for car camping until 1986. Then the resto mod began.

I purchased a brand new HD axle for it with a six lug bolt pattern from an adventure trailer manufacturer in Bakersfield. I stripped the front and rear gates down, dumping the original shiplap panels and varnishing a new set. I stripped, sanded and re-varnished the original oak staves from the gates. Then I built the boxes. As you can see from the photos, the passenger side box was more or less finished. The driver's side was one of those get-around-to-it projects that never happened, so the box is just one big storage container.

After our first off road adventure with it in Anza Borrego, I decided to add the additional stabilizer bars across the top of the bed. I ran it in this form until 1993, for our last real off road adventure into the Panamint Mountains. Didn't use it again until Surf N Turf in 2006, and haven't used it again since. In other words, it needs a new home.

Probably have close to a hundred hours of labor into it, but that's all water under the bridge now. First $1500 takes it. No Pms please.
68C05128-3373-4180-8A09-51D7E5AA0ACB.jpeg

Last edited:
Her best side
image.jpeg

Front
image.jpeg

Has a tongue extension. Appx 2 foot.

172 views, no comments. Hmmm.

Interesting piece of history. GLWS.

this is really cool, c'mon cruiser heads, help out a hero.

Bump because I gotta move it.

Nice trailer Mark!

Your wood work is impressive, especially the tail gate!

I'm considering buying a trailer, to pull with 44 and can build anything out of wood... So I could customize the interior quite easily, without changing the overall appearance of the trailer.

Understanding that I'm drugged and that this may be me wasting your time, I have questions...

1. Dry weight (i.e. empty)

2. Dimensions (hope I didn't miss this) of the box LxWxH

3. Length, including including tongue

4. Tongue height, with trailer sitting level

5. Tongue : are you saying its a standard 2" ball coupler?

6. Is the extension removable?
What's used to attach the coupler extension to the tongue (grade 8 bolts? How many?)

7. Can you attach a couple pictures of the underneath?

8. Can you attach a couple of pictures from above?

9. I can see some stabilization factors... What makes it earthquake proof...
I mean, is there any steel cross/diagonal strapping anywhere for vertical stability?

10. Is your price firm?

11. You say you've only used it a couple of times in the past 20+ years... How does it tow on very rough toads?
Does it track well?
Does it need shocks?
What is your opinion of load capacity, as it currently sits?

Edit: 12. When purchased from a private-party, NV requires a title and a VIN... Since you display CA plates, I assume it's titled... Does it have a VIN?

Feel free to PM anything you may not want public.

Whether I buy this or not... It looks like a great trailer for those of us who don't need the latest expedition trailer design and don't do extreme off-roading... Any eventual buyer would love the specs and more pictures.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Man, is that what meds do to you? :p

Let's see. No shocks. Never weighed it. Sides are held down by turnbuckles . No idea what load capacity is. IIRC it towed just fine. Yes it has a VIN. The rest I'll have to get when I'm with the trailer.

But they are all good questions.

Hey! Along with all these new drugs, I'm hypothyroid... I take a thyroxine pill every morning and spend the morning allowing my thyroid to fully engage my brain and expand its productivity... By 1pm, I've peaked and I have about an hour to spew out highly astute questions, before I collapse onto my heating pad, for a three hour nap. Yesterday, I targeted YOU. :smug:

You know my cruisin' well enough (approx load would be < 600 lbs), Mark... Just guesstimate the weight and the load capacity, based on your own use of the trailer... If you can remember that far back. :cool: Is the 2F/4Spd a good combo for towing this at 55-60 mph (more likely 55) on highways? I have no doubt about towing ability for rough, washboard, rocky roads and two-tracks.

My concern with "rough, washboard, rocky roads and two-tracks" is more in the realm of will the trailer hold together... Another potential reason for adding shocks... Also my 'earthquake' question... I'm guessing that's the reason you saw a need for cross bracing with steel slats.

Snap a pic of how the sides are turnbuckled, please... Unless you mean they are turnbuckled, similar to the gates.

My guess is the trailer is comprised of one main box, corners are steel pinned at the top and sides and gates are turnbuckled at the bottom-midpoint

I didn't think it had shocks, but do you feel, based on use, that it bounces too much on really rough roads? I've added shocks to my other trailer because I got tired of cleaning everything up when we arrived... 18 miles up a washboard.

Is the VIN etched into the frame?

I'm winding down already... Time for a pre-nap snooze...

Mark: it's not like I'll be going anywhere for a while... So, don't rush on my account.

Thanks!!

:cheers:

Bump for the fire sale

Bump cause I'm running out of free storage for this.

What are total dimensions? Length & width?
I need to see if it will fit in my parking spot.

What are total dimensions? Length & width?
I need to see if it will fit in my parking spot.
I have a note to measure it the next time I'm there. Probably by Tuesday.

Ok, I am at the warehouse now (miracle of iPhone @KT40 )

Trailer width, outside of cargo box to outside cargo box is 70 inches. Tires stick out 3 more inches on each side, for a total of 76 inches.

Trailer box is 68" long. Tongue with 30" extension is 58" long. The coupler is modular, and is designed to also attach to the main tongue without the extension. Good info to post regardless, so thanks for asking.

Man that's cool I would like something like that. Small consolation I know but if I were within 500 miles I would come get it. Good luck with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom