"Vintage" Look Steelies (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Seems to always be a crowd out there looking for "vintage" / OEM look steelies and they can get pricey when you find them. This looks like a solid current manufacture alternative that is available in several sizes

Vintiques 12 Series Smoothie Wheels

wvi-12-671204_xl.jpg

Sweet
What size would fit a 1983 HJ47 with disc brakes
I don't know much about back spacing or wheels in general

Does anyone know what size I would need to order for a 1983 HJ47 with
Disc brakes
I know some fit and some don't
Thanks for the help

Nope but I'm running one of Luke's frombe kits so my steering arms are a bit different than stock. I might add that I do believe that they would fit a factory steering setup if you ran the 16". I can post up a few picks of clearances if needed.

That'd be cool, I like the concept of running 16" rims on a project I'm working on.

Go to:
www.summitracing.com

Look under smoothies ‎ wheels 7x16 or your size.
I think they give a good original type look when painted or powder coted.
Not like the original stock 16" splits rims or stock 15" FJ40 that have the vent openings as seen.
Good luck

Toyota changed copy.jpg

$_57gded.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_20140725_151929_250.jpg
IMG_20140725_151957_166.jpg
IMG_20140725_152054_369.jpg
Here's a few pics... can't hold a tape and get a good measurement at the same time but there's right at 1/2" clearance between the tie rod end and the tire on the passenger side. Remember I'm running a frombe kit so nothing out front on the driver side. Pic 2 is of the passenger side but behind the axle, a little over 2" of clearance. FYI I'm running summit part # WVI-12-680604 with 900x16 super lugs.

Looks as you are just in the right area with the tires and wheels to the rods. Looks nice. Is the BS 4". What's the lift 4"?

Looks as you are just in the right area with the tires and wheels to the rods. Looks nice. Is the BS 4". What's the lift 4"?

Yes, 4" BS and soa with factory springs (currently the very bottom spring is removed from the pack, F&R).

I should also add that I'm running fj60 outers and 4runner brakes.

Last edited:
a great alternative. I see they make a 15x8 and 15X10 to for people looking for the wider OE look. Beats sending out to Stockton and paying for the widening.

Any ideas on Toyota looking caps fitting? Might have to weld on tabs?

I haven't tried to fit factory caps yet but that's the ultimate goal. Clips would need to be welded on but anything is possible...

IMG_20140822_171226_568.jpg

Anyone try these with the factory arms yet?

Bumping this thread to add some notes. I been eyeing these to put on the MP40. (I like a bare gray classic steelie look, and the factory Toyota units are getting expensive.) Spent some time on the Summit site this evening.

If you like these rims in 15 inch diam, you have a few choices:

15x6 (12-5606358) has 3-5/8" backspace
15x7 (12-570604) has 4" backspace
15x8 (12-580604) has 4" backspace
All have a 4-1/4" center bore and the 6x5.5 lug nut circle.

In the review comments for the 15x6 size, someone states that they work fine on a disc brake FJ40.

Has anyone here tried these in any of the above three sizes? I may order one (or two) different sizes of these and try them out.

i ordered a summit 12 series 15 x 7 , 4 inch bs . back fit great , front is really close but will work. im thinking of running 1/4" spacers for the front. i have plenty of threads on the studs and it gives me a good 1/2" of clearance. im going to start working on how to mount the oem hubcaps.

I bought these rims. As stated above, I test fitted them to a '79. They seemed to fit ok, but I must have missed something. The wheels do not fit my FJ40 with 76-78 style front disc brakes. Out back, I have a Poser disc brake setup with Monte Carlo calipers. The wheels don't fit there, either. My recommendation is that if you want to run these rims, try the 16's, not the 15's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom