Video Cables RGB vs. RWY Any difference?

Discussion in 'Workshop and Home Improvement' started by LK1, Feb 21, 2010.

1. LK1

LK1

I am getting a new TV with RGB (Red/Green/Blue) component video inputs. I have high quality RWY (Red/White/Yellow) cables with gold plated connections that I want to use to connect to the component video outputs (both are RGB) on the DVD and TV.

Is there any difference between RGB and RWY cables? Or can I re-use my cables.

Thanks
  2. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

Depends on what type of signal you're wanting to reproduce. The RGB cables, ie component, carry a higher bandwidth for HD. The RWY, ie RCA, won't handle the bandwidth. If you equipment will handle it go HDMI. No need to buy the expensive gold plated blah blah blah.
  3. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

HD Video is higher bandwidth, but I didn't notice any observable difference between authentic component video cables and RWY cables, maybe because the cables I used were short. You want to dump the component video anyway because the world has gone to HDMI and it isn't going back. It is hard to find a new TV that does not have HDMI, so this would be a good time to upgrade your box or any other device that doesn't have HDMI.
  4. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

Yes, HDMI will make a major difference over "component cables". HTH. :cheers: