Very long crank for a 1994 Before Start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After selling my 91LC on super bowl sunday 3 years ago along with my manhood. I finally got a 1994 LC with 260K miles. They guy took great care of it. But now this issue is bugging me.

It will crank for about 5-6 seconds then might catch or might not. Sometimes it will just start. If I give it gas it will start up during that long crank.

I replaced the fuel pump after it literally melted in the tank. I thought that would fix the problem, but it did not.

Replaced the fuel pressure regulator (nope)
Replaced the spark plugs (nope)
going to replace the fuel filter
Am I on the right track? I do not want to go electrical. Any other ideas if the fuel filter does not do it

Thank you in advance

Could try changing charcoal canister. .if blocked can cause fuel tank pressure. .

Is it possible your injectors aren't holding pressure when you shut it down? IF they are dribbling fuel into the cylinders when shut off it might act flooded when you go back to start it. Might be time for new injectors at 260K? (I hope not-mine has 256K)

Is it possible your injectors aren't holding pressure when you shut it down? IF they are dribbling fuel into the cylinders when shut off it might act flooded when you go back to start it. Might be time for new injectors at 260K? (I hope not-mine has 256K)

I will try the canister and the fuel filter.
The fuel injectors make sense because it does smell gassy, but if I give it gas from the pedal it seems to start.

Thank you for your replys. I will keep you posted

IF you decide to pursue the injectors, consider having them tested and cleaned. It's around $100 for all of them and should avoid the need for new ones.

From FSM

DOES ENGINE START WITH ACCELERATOR PEDAL DEPRESSED?

OK

ISC system

(1) ISC valve

(2) Wiring connection

May also be a check point for you...

Jerry D.

I will try the canister and the fuel filter.
The fuel injectors make sense because it does smell gassy, but if I give it gas from the pedal it seems to start.

With a fuel injected engine the "gas pedal" is the wrong terminology. Pressing the "accelerator pedal" allows more air into the intake/cylinders. If the injectors are leaking then more air will improve the starting.

Thank you everyone. I just got back from a camping road trip. Before that I changed the fuel filter. What a tight squeeze. The entire trip she started right up except for one time. Then I got back home and it is doing it more often. I am going to change the charcoal canister next. I will keep you posted thanks again.

My 94 has 230K on it. It has become quite the pain the start at times. Dead key or crank w/ no start which can go on for 20+ times. Sometimes it will start first try! Let me know what you come up with. I haven't yet tried to troubleshoot it.

Is fuel rail holding pressure? This sounds like fuel injectors one or more is bleeding off

Update on my long crank issue. Thanks for all your help. Replaced fuel filter , spark plugs and it was still doing it right after. At this time I also started using Lucas oil fuel injector cleaner for the last 3 tanks. Starts up before I turn the key now. I still think I need to replace the idle control valve at some point, but for now she is running well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom