Very early windshield wipers wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm gonna crosspost this, because who knows who'll have the answer.

I am setting up my 9/64 FJ45 with new wiper motors, and Ed (Degnol) sent me his wiper switch from that era. The motors are linked by wires, and have 3 contacts, marked from top to bottom as "S", "+", and "-". The wiring between the two was messed with before I got the truck, and there's no telling how it is really supposed to be by looking. I have a wiring diagram from that era, but the diagram does not show what contacts connect to what wire.

Then, there is the switch. It is a 3 pole switch, and none of the poles are marked. The switch is two position, on and off, and by testing it, I can tell that it turns poles on and off if I power the 3rd pole.

By experimentation, I have found that if I run a powered wire to the top contacts (marked "s") of the two motors in series, and ground via the contact marked (+) on the motors, also in series, and switch the power through the switch, I can run the two at one speed nonsyncronized. This means not using one live pole on the switch and the contact marked "-" on the motors.

If I ground the contact marked (-) and put power to the contact marked (+) on the motors, like you would think it might go, nothing happens.

So, it works for now, but does anyone know the correct way to wire it? Or at least, have diagrams of the switch and motors from a very early Chassis and Body manual? That, at least might help.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Dave, I have the early Toyota chassis and body manual and will cory what you need and send it snailmail tomorrow if you want. Although I have a '66, I retofitted the later one motor setup, so no help there.
Ed
I think the third wire is for self-park so they don't stop in the middle of the windscreen, but don't know fo' sure.

I'm not sure where to start here...

The wiper motors only have one speed. My switch (which I'm pretty sure is stock) only has 'on' and 'off'.

The motor connections: Looking at the back of the motor (from the driver's seat), the connections are (1) switched power, (2) ground, (3) constant power - top to bottom. Are you sure yours go S, +, -? I think it should be S, -, +.

Both motors are wired the same, in parallel.

If the motors are in the 'rest' position and you hook up wires to the + and - terminals, nothing should happen. Until you add power to the 's' terminal. Once you remove power from the 's' terminal, the motors should continue to run until they reach the 'rest' position.

HTH,
Eric

Ah, Roger that. I just checked my "owners" manual and they are indeed self-park, so with the switch in the "off" position, you should have power to one of the leads, the other lead will be energized when in the on or run position. Just run power to the main terminal and then it is 50/50. If you have it backwards then they will run on the off position.
GL
Ed
I don't think they ground at the switch.

Thanks, guys. Ed, that would be cool if you could send me those pages snail mail, or maybe one of your kids can show you how to scan them in....

ERock, you were right. Here's a photo of the old motor, wired the same. S, -, +.

And a photo of the back of the switch. How's that wired?
DSCN3207 (Small).JPG
DSCN3209 (Small).JPG

Here's the wiring diagram. Funny this C&B manual illustrates only the mid single motor cable connected wipers, but the wiring diagram only shows the 2 motor version. Go figure.
I am not sure I can reconcile what you're saying, Erock, with this diagram. But maybe I just don't understand.
wiperwire (Medium).jpg

IDave said:
Here's the wiring diagram. Funny this C&B manual illustrates only the mid single motor cable connected wipers, but the wiring diagram only shows the 2 motor version. Go figure.
I am not sure I can reconcile what you're saying, Erock, with this diagram. But maybe I just don't understand.
attachment.php

Looks to me from the manual that the top wire you need to butt splice it and run it to both motors. The middle wire goes to the right motor and the last wire goes to the left motor.

Looks to me that the top wire would be the switch to power the motors and the rest i dunno. Looking at these wiring diagrams gives me bad memories from the summer when I re wired my rig :eek:

Too bad it isn't labeled by color like the later stuff in my Haynes manual.

Oh, but it is labeled by color. L (lavender or blue), top wire off the switch, LW (Lavender with white stripe), middle and bottom wires. But those wires are gone from my rig. And I can't tell which wires go to which pole on the switch, since the switch isn't marked. I do know that if I bring power to the pole that I have the wire on in the photo, the other two are switched on or off by the switch.

From the fuse block power(switched) goes to both motors and to the power lead on the switch. That is the self-park circuit. The other two posts on the switch go to each individual motor. Pretty straightforward.

Do I have to come out there and wire it, too, Dave?

Ed

Tell me how you know which is the power lead on the switch, Ed! They are all equidistant from each other and from the edge of the switch (unlike the circuit drawing). Also, which of the 3 contacts on the motors go where?

Yes, please come out and help me Ed. I'll expect you Wednesday. :D

I haven't ever pulled my switch to see what it looks like from the back. I don't understand why the wiring diagram shows 3 wires from the switch.

If you wire it so that there is a ground wire to the "-" terminal on both motors, constant power from the fuse panel to the "+" terminals and to the switch, and a wire from one of the terminals on the switch to the "S" terminals, it will work correctly.

I'll try that tonight!

Have you got a multimeter? I figured out all my switches with some aligator clips, a battery(drycell) and a voltmeter. Hell, I shoulda labeled it before I sent it, kinda s***ty of me.
Come to think of it, you should be able to use any of them. Think about it. It's just an on-off switch

Got to take my brother to the psychiatrist on Wednesday, maybe next Wednesday, huh?
Ed

" I don't understand why the wiring diagram shows 3 wires from the switch."

Actually four wires:
1, wire from fused terminal on the fuseblock to the power-in post on the switch
2,wire from that same post on the switch to the park lug on the motors
3,wire to one motor...and...
4, wire to the other motor

Degnol said:
" I don't understand why the wiring diagram shows 3 wires from the switch."

Actually four wires:
1, wire from fused terminal on the fuseblock to the power-in post on the switch
2,wire from that same post on the switch to the park lug on the motors
3,wire to one motor...and...
4, wire to the other motor

Yeah I figured that out after I went buggy-eyed staring at it for a few minutes. I'm just not sure that mine (5/64) is wired like that. I'm pretty sure the wires for the motors are just teed so the motors are wired in parallel, instead of independent wires from the switch to each motor.

Eric

The original wiring (or what appears to be original) connecting the two motors on my rig ALSO has 3 leads, which suggests it was wired like ERock describes: in parallel. But, maybe not. ERock, any chance you'll look at your switch for me?

Ed: Elk filet mignon for dinner next Wed. See you then!

Degnol, you say you converted to the one-motor set up - did you get a newer windshield frame, or were you able to rig the single motor onto the older frame? I was considering rigging a single motor to my old frame, but couldn't find anyone that had done it, and didn't have a single motor setup to eyeball.
Thanks

Jim,
I used my '66 frame and a measurement from a '73 frame to position the thing. Drilled new holes for the pivots and used big self-tapping screws(like they use on metal buildings) to mount the motor. I had to shorten the wiper arms because the glass is much smaller on the '66. Since that time I bought a complete windshield and wiper setup out of a '74 and will swap the whole thing.
I like the 2 speeds and the synchro.
Oh, and I just plugged the original holes with some black vinyl caps/plugs that I got at the hardware store.
GL
Ed

IDave said:
ERock, any chance you'll look at your switch for me?

I'll pull that switch out tonight and see what I can figure out.

Eric

Ok, I'm dumb. I was thinking about it on the way home from work and I didn't even have to pull the switch out (haven't had time yet) to figure out that it wouldn't work. Well, technically they would, but they wouldn't shut off when you want them to.

The switch SHOULD have 3 terminals and it shouldn't matter which wire goes where - they're all the same. 1 is power in from the fuse panel. The other 2 have independent wires to the "s" terminals of the motors. When the switch is in the "on" position, all 3 terminals are connected. When off, all 3 are separated. This is important because the motors won't be at the same "stop" position at the same time, and the one motor that's still running off the constant feed will backfeed power through the "s" wire to the other motor if they're wired in parallel like I described earlier.

So the short answer is that you need to pay more attention to the wiring diagram than to me :D

Let me know if you need any further clarification :whoops:

That was it, ERock. Thanks very much, both of you. Now I have to learn to get my later (mid) wipers to park. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom