1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Venting - Grumble, Grumble

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by CDN_Cruiser, Sep 18, 2003.

1. CDN_Cruiser

CDN_Cruiser

I just got off the phone with the Lexus dealer - I really need a garage to do my own work! Synth oil change, fix Airbag light and *gulp* need to redo all 4 rotors and pads (had this done with OEM parts but non-Toyota dealer within 25,000KM) - pads yes, but rotors ?! = C$2,500!

What fun. Keep dry all those to the Southeast.

Cheers, Hugh

2. Scamper

Scamper

Sounds like a major hosing to me. I don't know what C$2500 equate to these days ($1800? ish), but the rotors and pads should be no more than $600US. You can figure the rest is: 8qts of oil and a light bulb, then a ton of labor. Yeah...you need a garage, or a local mech that will treat you better.

3. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Supporting Vendor Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Hugh, rotors don't normally die that quickly. Why do they say you need them? ???

4. CDN_Cruiser

CDN_Cruiser

I agree waaaay toooo soon. They said the rear was from worn pads rubbing the rotors (strange absolutely no sound, but remember my brake fluid was low ~ 1month ago) and frnt rust bands (they said lack of use) that wore pads and then the rotors. I have all the rotors, I'll have a closer look when I'm back in town after the weekend.

I did buy some very fancy Toyota windshield wiper blades - very nice :D

One question - How should I treat the new pads and rotors. Do I hammer them to 'seat them', take it easy,....?

Cheers, Hugh

5. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

I put new Toyota rotors on about a year ago myself for $320. The rears took about 20 minutes per side (rotors slide off the wheel studs with a single hammer whack). The fronts required a wheel bearing repack and took about 30 minutes per side. I think I pay about $40 for a pair of Toyota pads, so around $400 total. I'd think the airbag light would be warranted as it's part of your vehicle's passive restraint system. And my Mobil 1 oil changes cost me about $45 with fresh Toyota filter. So, you're getting nicely hosed. Try going to a Toyota dealer instead of the Lexu$ dealer.....

IdahoDoug

6. MTNRAT

MTNRAT

If you cannot find a good mech out east come to Fernie B.C.. I have a great mech that is very fair. He put in new 4.88s front and rear and did the birfs for $898.50 cdn. labour. Check with other cruiser people in your area 40s 60s whatever. They will know where the good mechanics are. You don't need a dealer.
    Sean

7. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Supporting Vendor Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    [quote author=MTNRAT link=board=2;threadid=5410;start=msg42837#msg42837 date=1063947134] You don't need a dealer.
    Sean
    [/quote]

Oh, really?........... :'(

8. MTNRAT

MTNRAT

OH, except for parts of course. :doh: :whoops:
    Sean

9. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=5410;start=msg42831#msg42831 date=1063946578]
    The rears took about 20 minutes per side (rotors slide off the wheel studs with a single hammer whack). [/quote]

For what it's worth there is 2 threaded holes on those rear rotors so you can thread in a couple of bolts and use it as it's own puller. Works pretty slick.

10. Desertmaster

Desertmaster

CDN_Cruiser,

If I were you I would drive my truck over to a Toyota dealership and have them quote you on the work, you will be amazed how much $$$ you are going to save, I learned this one the hard way.

I know you have the Lexus emblem, but they can reference the parts for you and perform the job without any issues.

Hope this helps

Al

11. CDN_Cruiser

CDN_Cruiser

Yes, I've tried to go to a Toyota dealer, but they generally will not touch the truck. I think they have likely been given 'guidance' that they can't divert the work from Toyota (no LC sold in Canada). That being said, I have had it serviced up at our cottage for C$65/hr (~US$45), bit no competing Lexus dealers!

Cheers, Hugh

12. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

You might also find that the Lexus and Toyota dealerships are owned by the same person - common in the U.S.

13. lx450landcruiser

lx450landcruiser Moderator

From what i understand 80's seem to go through pad quite often how come no one makes cross drilled rotors? the 100's have them?

14. nakman

nakman addict. Supporting Vendor