Vacuum Line Tips (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.paool.com
Anyone Know the best way to tackle redoing the vacuum lines for my 78 Fj40? I've used the search and looked over all the diagrams + the ones in my manual, but they are very different from what I seem to have. Its the Stock 2f engine also.

I took pictures of what It looked like before I took the carb off, to put in a new header gasket, and figured it shold be easy enough to put it all back where it was... I marked some of the ones that seemed like they might get lost or confused easily, and That was that... However.. as much as I appreciate my friend's eagerness to help, If I had have known he would be rerouting my Vacuum lines to his own special specifications, I woulda kicked him in the nuts before hand. Needless to say, thanks to an eager-to-help friend, my lines are Entirely Messed up with No resemblance of what I had in the pictures...

I'm taking another crack at it tommorrow but I can only come to two conclusions so far: 1) the PO had removed some of the smog equipment and chopped up the lines a bit - Cause it really doesn't match up with the diagrams... or 2) I'm going to need to totally remove all the lines, and redo the whole system.

The second, I wouldn't mind doing, if it wasn't for the fact that all the diagrams are so small/complicated and different from my truck that its going to be impossible to wire it the same way the diagram shows.

I'll get pictures of the before and after here tommorrow... its a damned nightmare.

Whats the best course of action here? Does anyone have any pictures of the same year truck they can share? (i used the search and found 1 or 2, but they are not much help as they are mostly of the passenger side)

JamesM said:
Whats the best course of action here? Does anyone have any pictures of the same year truck they can share? (i used the search and found 1 or 2, but they are not much help as they are mostly of the passenger side)

James, looks like we're in the same boat. See my thread here.

My '78 was built in November. When was yours built?

Bull's '78 was built in April. It is so different that it's almost laughable.

In my case, a big part of the problem is I have a '75 carb which obviously was configured very differently.

My hope is that I can become knowledgable enough about the theory and mechanics of the vaccum and evaporative emmisions system that I can re-wire it all up correctly in the next month or so (once i get a new carb).

Please share what you learn! I'll do the same.

James,
The FSM is best for resolving this problem. But, if that is not at hand, see the 1978 diagram in the haynes manual, fig 13.3, p.271.

TEQ, isn't your truck a CCOT serviced vehicle? That would explain it having many of the strange parts, vac connections and wiring problems. The carb in your pics looks like a '76. If you can post up some closer pics of the carb, we can more positively identify

FJ40Jim said:
TEQ, isn't your truck a CCOT serviced vehicle? That would explain it having many of the strange parts, vac connections and wiring problems. The carb in your pics looks like a '76. If you can post up some closer pics of the carb, we can more positively identify

Yep, it's a CCOT serviced vehicle. They (or another PO) put a MAF Weber carb on it. Someone else took the weber off and put the current carb (I think it's a '75 based on the pictures at the SOR website, but what do I know?).

Here's some pics.
FJ40 Purchase 056 Large Web view.jpg
FJ40 Purchase 057 Large Web view.jpg

I had good success with the vac diagram that I found somewhere on here. It requires a lot of patience to get it right, that's for sure. You may also strain your eyes a little bit in the process... I've got an 81 and I got it right after several hours, and I know I've got more vacuum lines than a 78 does! If it ran ok before, and it's not 100% original, I'd be paying real close attention to the pics you took before you started taking it apart. Good luck.

My truck came with carb in a box , half the emissions stuff missing, and no vacuum lines. I was dreading the day when I would have to install the vac. lines. All the pictures and diagrams looked really complicated. Turns out it wasn't all that difficult. I think it took me a couple hours to install all of them.
It's not as complicated as it looks. If you have questions as to where a line goes just post. Someone here will help.

The FSM is best for resolving this problem. But, if that is not at hand, see the 1978 diagram in the haynes manual, fig 13.3, p.271

....The carb in your pics looks like a '76. If you can post up some closer pics of the carb, we can more positively identify
Your VSV ports should be numbered, and some of the emissions components have matching numbers. For instance, TEQ's photo shows a number 8 just to the right of the power valve port on the top of the carb. This might help a little, but the manuals are the best.

Yep, from the pic, it looks like TEQ has a post- 10/75 (12/75 for California) carb, due to the block-off plate where the AAP would have been if it was an earlier '75. I believe the AAP housing itself was d/c'd in Sept. '77 (for the '78 model year). Yours still has the housing (facing the passenger side at the front corner), so that alone makes it look like late '75 - '77.

I guess someone really hated the fuel return line...

WARNING!! VERY VERY LARGE PICTURES!

Im too sick/lazy to downsize them right now.

Before (runnin nicely)
Before
Before2
Before 3

After John's Handywork (probably not running, though I havn't tried):
Uh-oh!
LOOKS ok.. but its really not

Wow.. I'm screwed.
It wouldn't be bad if the diagrams where not so busy.. if they actually laid out which tube goes where and if and where it intersects with another.

ugh..

heh, yea I'm pretty sure mine was also made in november.

Robert LaDuke said:
My truck came with carb in a box , half the emissions stuff missing, and no vacuum lines. I was dreading the day when I would have to install the vac. lines. All the pictures and diagrams looked really complicated. Turns out it wasn't all that difficult. I think it took me a couple hours to install all of them.
It's not as complicated as it looks. If you have questions as to where a line goes just post. Someone here will help.

what diagrams where you using?

I used the diagram in the Haynes manual . There may be a diagram in the Toyota emissions manual for 1978 also but I don't remember. If you look at the diagram closely you can see the numbers for each port on the computer. Start with the one's that have a single line . Once you get to the one's that require splices it should make more sense. I'll try to post some pics of mine. I know it looks like spaghetti but they do make sense once you get started.

Also, if you have your owners manual there is a really nice black and white photo of the engine that might help to sort out a few of the lines.

Oh Lord, I've got this ahead of me too. Thermal Reactor? With that type of equipment do you really need gas!
I've got a 78, getting a 79 transplant, mostly desmogged. I sincerely hope I don't need that damn computer thing. I just want a carb, intake, and an exhast. with no BS. I'm getting some FSM's next week but I'm wondering how that is even going to help me.

Anybody have a solution to removeing all of this junk and making that carb run well with out ????

Kenn

JamesM said:
If I had have known he would be rerouting my Vacuum lines to his own special specifications, I woulda kicked him in the nuts before hand.
It won't fix your vacume lines, but it's not to late. Statue of limitations on a deserved nut kickin is like 18 monthes.
:bounce2: :crybaby:

Dually noted. I'm gonna tackle the lines sometime tommorrow probably. It wont hurt to ask so here goes:
Does anyone have any scans of the FSM Vac lin routes for a 78 fj?
Actually any vac diagrams other othan what was already mentioned for this year would be helpful.

The ones I found on the search where not too helpfull, and the ones in my manuals are for the wrong years or are different.

Thanks agian.

Need desmoged vacuum line layout

I'm with F-Junker on this one. I have a 3/79 40 that has been desmogged by PO and I'd like to finish the job by removing everything that doesn't actually help the truck run better. Anybody have an informed suggestion on a bare bones vacuum setup

Last edited:
Pin_Head said:
Here is a diagram for '76 if that helps with the earlier carb.

vacuum.jpg

So glad All that crap is sitting under my sink in my garage than on my cruiser.

Mickey Plunkett said:
I'm with F-Junker on this one. I have a 3/79 40 that has been desmogged by PO and I'd like to finish the job by removing everything that doesn't actually help the truck run better. Anybody have an informed suggestion on a bare bones vacuum setup
Which do you want?

Bare bones?

Or desmog to remove bad systems, while keeping systems that make the engine run better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom