V8 swap cost question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My son wants to swap a v8 and 5 speed in his FJ62. We got into a price discussion and he thinks I am way over inflating the cost and scope of work. I said it would easily be over 10k and take months to get done (based on posts here), he disagreed and said it should be a lot cheaper. So anyone who has done the swap what was the approx total cost and time invested, am I way off or is he?

Thanks

A LOT of variables to consider. You didn't mention which V8 your considering or which 5 speed. I did my Vortec swap for roughly $6500. I think this is pretty typical for a DIY Vortec but could certainly be done cheaper or potentially for much more. My motor was a junkyard 'take-out' and paired it with a reman 4l60E. Going to buy an aftermarket harness or modify your own? That's an $800 question on the Vortec conversion. An old school SBC or TBI conversion will be a fair bit cheaper than the Vortec but if your heart is set on an H55 prepare to shell out a big chunk of change.

The time it will take will also vary wildly based on many factors not the least of which is one's mechanical skills and experience. I would figure a minimum of 3 months of weekends and evenings for the average home mechanic.

Good luck and do lots of research before you jump in.

-Ed

I just finished mine for $ 6073 and did it all myself After is sold by other stuff i was only $4173 out of pocket

I was $2100 over budget due to i had to replace piston rings and rebuild my transmission.
Dont go cheap on a engine if I did it agian buy the $3500 engine with a known condition...
The big ticket items:
5.3 and 4l60e after rebuild and trans rebuild = $3600
Adapter $680
TCase Rebuild kit $250
Exhause Kit $250
Misc parts to include oil pan, fittings, hose, ac hoses, ect $1250

I have a spreadsheet I can share.

If you do the work you can do it in the $6000 range

email me at tsmith.eng@gmail.com and ill send you my spreadsheet Check my build

I can tell you that when I do a 5.3L/stage II Monster 4L65E the parts run over $10K. You can do it cheaper if you skimp on parts.

Thanks everyone..we would not be able to do the work ourselves as we have no where to do it (live in an apartment) and it seems way above my level of ability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom