V-8 Swap / PS Pump Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yea... I'm on it. Hopefully before next offroad trip I'll have the cooler moved and I'll start looking for some parts off a remote reservoir setup and then swap that out when I really get motivated.

Thanks for the feedback.

GM 1ton pick-ups with the carb'd 454 are likely to have that pump housing in the pic. The early 80's truck that I drove for a past employer was set-up that way. Some of them will even have the second return for HydroBoost.

parts pics

1st pic is 3500 express van 1999 vintage with 5.7
2nd pic is 1999 Pickup with 5.7
99ExpressVan.jpg
Pickup.jpg

I run a pump from an express van 5.7 with a mini truck reservoir. I had gearbox clearance issues with the stock pump in my setup. With the extra capacity of the reservoir and a cooler mounted down low, I haven't had any issues.

View attachment 646538

can you post another pic or two showing a better view from the side. I'm wondering off the top of my head if the main accessory bracket is the same (I assume so or the mount part for the pump should be the same I would think) and then the bracket at the rear of the pump.

GM 1ton pick-ups with the carb'd 454 are likely to have that pump housing in the pic. The early 80's truck that I drove for a past employer was set-up that way. Some of them will even have the second return for HydroBoost.

Yea but I think the accessory brackets are different between the year models. My engine is a 1999 5.7. So I'm looking at the mounts / brackets to see if the same breed of "Cat"...

IIRC, all of the saginaws have the same morning points, the earlier versions aren't metric. Mine is a 98, I don't think it's any different from the 99. Hope this picture helps, best I could get with the phone. I found my receipt, I used the carquest psc 20-8751

ForumRunner_20120621_194310.jpg

They have a few options like hydroboost and that sensor dealie from the oe system, you want the one without those.
ForumRunner_20120621_194310.jpg

What Crusher said. Excepting any metric threads the pumps themselves are the same, it's only the sheet metal reservoir and the pressure regulator that noticeably changes.

FYI.. problem solved. PSC high pressure p/s pump installed with an fitting at rear, matching remote PS remote Resivor installed, PS cooler changed and moved to lowest point in front of the radiator possible... I now have good power steering regardless if in 2wd or 4wd, offroad or on. Using the metric adapters on the steering gear and then had local shop make up hd pressure side hydraulic style ps hose, low pressure side is just part of the kit. I like the PSC pump and remote resivor...kind of expensive, but solved my problems. I'll try to remember and update this thread with some pics.

Elbert,

Did you have to get a different belt when you went with the new pump?

no... no need for new belt, psc pump mounts in stock location. I think I did install a new belt, but it was just something I wanted to do. It has the large single belt accessory drive...a single belt powers everything. 1999 version of the 5.7 vortec

The PSC pump mounts in the same location and I used the same stock GM ps pulley, so the pump install was just plug and play...took a little fabrication to install the remote resivor that I used...also from PSC. I think some of the GM vans have a remove p/s reservoir. Recall that on this p/s design...if you decide to go with remote resivor...the p/s pump is similar but the design in a minor modification (to accommodate the remote resivor)

FYI.. problem solved. PSC high pressure p/s pump installed with an fitting at rear, matching remote PS remote Resivor installed, PS cooler changed and moved to lowest point in front of the radiator possible... I now have good power steering regardless if in 2wd or 4wd, offroad or on. Using the metric adapters on the steering gear and then had local shop make up hd pressure side hydraulic style ps hose, low pressure side is just part of the kit. I like the PSC pump and remote resivor...kind of expensive, but solved my problems. I'll try to remember and update this thread with some pics.

Thats great. I'd love to see some pics when you have a chance. I'm having some issues with the power steering on my early 90's 5.7l and I think that it could be solved with a remote reservoir set-up. I'd really like to see how you did it. Thanks!

X2 on the pictures! I've got the 5.3 in my 55 and the return nipple is right next to the frame, so thinking about moving. Good information.

Last edited:
344.JPG

Not much to see in the pics...but this is the PSC remote resivor and P/s pump. The p/s pump mounts just like the stock pump and then on this particular pump you just setup the an hoses and use the hoses and fittings provided to interface with the resivor. The resivor is mounted on the side of the a/c compress as shown becuase I did not have too many other options. I had a local hydraulic hose shop make up the pressure hose for me and this setup has worked great so far.

I don't have a picture of the ps cooler install without everything in the way...but the cooler is located in front of the condensor/radiator and is at the lowest point possible, but still in the air way.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures. Very helpful in making up my mind on this. The clear tube at the top, is it a vent?

Thanks for the pictures. Very helpful in making up my mind on this. The clear tube at the top, is it a vent?

yes the clear tube comming off the red cap/top is a vent. The PSC items are good quality...I've not regretted the purchase at all.

Its been a while since the install...but another feature of the remote reservoir is that is has a built in swappable filter. PSC recommends a specific brand/type of fluid, but I'm just running the NAPA p/s fluid for gm vehicles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom