Builds Utah... the "new blue" - the unforeseen build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So since I was in high school I have always put a timer / switch so that my air compressor wouldn't stay on if there's an air leak. This is started because I was working at a shop where the air line broke and Thus ran for four hours before we got back. I remember seeing the block on that compressor red hot. Well fast-forward 30 years and this security measure finally paid off . I turn the compressor switch on last night after not being in the garage for a week and the drain plug at the bottom had cracked at the seam and add a nice size leak. Had it not been for a little wiring and a $12 air-conditioner relay switch I probably would be looking for new air compressor. Having said that out loud, sure would be nice to have a screw compressor Hmmmm. This is where engineered obsolescence make sense

image.jpg
Two dollar part failure.

Very good idea , electrician buddy that wired my starter box mentioned maybe doing a timer switch on my heavy old Speed Air . Problem is , when I sand blast outside it can run some days up to 6hrs pretty continuously . It is a constant-duty rated industrial , so until the local Nuke runs out of steam it will just run endlessly....then we get the call to refuel it , lol .
Sarge

Very good idea , electrician buddy that wired my starter box mentioned maybe doing a timer switch on my heavy old Speed Air . Problem is , when I sand blast outside it can run some days up to 6hrs pretty continuously . It is a constant-duty rated industrial , so until the local Nuke runs out of steam it will just run endlessly....then we get the call to refuel it , lol .
Sarge

I use this 1/2/4/8 hour timer, so on a long day at the shop, I only have to reset it once.

Amazon.com: Intermatic EI220W 1/2/4/8 Hour SPST 1800-Watt In-Wall Countdown Timer, White: Home Improvement

On a side note, I have a wood shop that has a wireless remote for the dust collector system. It is not line of sight remote, as it is in a different room, so uses RF I think. Anyway, it once turned on by itself. Don't know if was a neighbors garage door opener, or what. Anyway, I have it on a timer too. Cheap insurance to me.

I'm going to have my buddy look into this further as there are times I'm away at work for long periods . Hate to come home to find out the compressor has been running for days - although the wife should certainly notice it since it's a 5hp Industrial , lol . I had to move it into the furnace room of the basement here , well away from my "shop" since the dumb thing would nearly give you a heart attack when it kicked in...
Sarge

Really easy to do this. My switch has standard 120v power. You don't need much power at all to it. 15amp circuit much more than you need to run the relay. I used an Air conditioning relay 120v. Most are 12v, (which you could use, but my timer was 120v). Anyway, it was $20 for one. Made to be used on a rooftop big industrial a/c, that can run all day long if needed -- my point is get it rated for the AMP that your compressor needs. Put a little switch box in to mount the relay and have the contacts for your wiring and your good.

Also, @Weber Sarge -- I just ordered that Mag Switch you recommended. Thanks! Like all my good MUD friends, my wallet is lighter for knowing you!

When it comes to tools , I can destroy a wallet as well as a savings/retirement account in a hurry . We rent , and are looking for a house - my wife says it's already in the tool boxes and shop...lol .
This old Speed Air draws 75 amps at startup , 50 amp run current on 220v single phase here . We do not have true 3phase available , so took off the original motor (5hp) and used a single phase heavy-duty 5hp instead . Runs well , does get a bit hot after several hours but doesn't bother it .

Sarge

Well, computer is working REALLY slow today. Everyone on the cloud server, making me mad, so I come here for a few minutes.

Anyway, I found a thread about spraying Lizard Skin Insulation, and makes sense to do it while the tub is off.

Guess I will have to prep for paint again.

Oh, well, good to know. I am going to just do the bottom, it is bare aluminum now (with a heavy coat of oil). So try to focus on the lower firewall, tranny hump, then follow the exhaust. I do have some extra Al's HNR I could do the rest of the area.

Need to check on my raptor supplies too.

Started working on extending the rear hinges. This has the Aqualu rear tailgate with internal storage, which means a 3" deep storage bay accessed from inside the tailgate. With the additional storage part of the rear door it does not fold down flat, so extending the hinges (which are stainless, and lowering the hinge point. You then mount the hinge upside down and when opened the storage area is about flush, which is important as I plan to put a slide out drawer back there.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Here are pics of @kc_chevota hinges that I am copying.

Mine won't be quite that low, as I don't want to interfere with my new bumper.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Got some time to work on the rear bumper, however don't like the round trim protector I want to make for the light . It clashes with the angled in that I made to match the tub. Friends came over this morning to help prop up the tub for undercoating, and I was able to get opinions, with the thought to bend up some quarter-inch steel that mimics the outer angle of the bumper. After I get that figured out, need a drill some holes for wires, then I think it's right to paint
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Started cleaning the years of grime off the tub to get ready for lizard skin and raptor.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Also bent some 1/4 for lights. Like it much better. I plan to add the diamond plate top piece to make a good step.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

That looks way better than the first attempt

That looks way better than the first attempt

I am getting close to ready to put those diffs in and Jobe is not returning my calls. I already hate to bug someone that is doing a favor for you. Got any ideas?

I hope to have the tub ready to install next week, so it would be a lot easier to put the rear diff in before putting the tub on. So, I am looking at diffs as a April 19th project. I really want to have this on the road by the 29th -- the boys bday, so once he gets his learners permit, this is the first car he legally drives.

I will be talking to him this week just dropped highlander off to him today. Do u have pinion bearings? If so can they get in the shuttle before thurs? Shuttle will be a little blue car this week not a green one.

Got rest of tub cleaned last night and Rob helped tape it off. Lizard skin should be on the front porch tonight.
image.jpg

Cleaned some more and prepped it for application of lizard skin. I used a cheap undercoating style gun -- not the $80 lizard skin gun and it worked pretty well. I did cut off about half of the length of the nozzle to give it a more fine texture. It did not spray as fast as the videos that I saw a lizard skin being applied, however it was $60 less.
image.jpg
image.jpg
View attachment 1241439

I did one medium thickness coat on the mid firewall back to the rear of the seats, then a second heavy coat on all of that area and had enough to put all the way to the rear in the center section.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom