Utah members Shout out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In my last post I mentioned that I was going to put a "new" engine in my 'Cruiser. Contrary to my original plan, the Targetmaster now resides in my FJ. We breathed life into it this afternoon, and hammerhead was going to take it for a spin this evening. I had to pull a 12 hour night shift tonight so I told him he could do the honors.

Last edited:
IT IS ALIVE!

78s rig is together again. A few more tweaks on Monday will have it trail ready again.

Blew a U-joint on my own rig today so on monday i'll...

I can't believe hammerhead hasn't been on here yet to boast. I won't spoil it for him though.

The motor we installed runs great. I have to learn how to drive a truck motor again though. This motor doesn't rev like the Monte Carlo motor I've been running.

Hello 78 one owner and hammerhead. My family and I are headed down to visit family in St. George and hit a trail or two with a few members of Wasatch Cruisers and SNLC. I do not know what trails we will be driving or where in Cedar we are meeting on Saturday, but I will be glad to let you know if you are interested in joining us.

I may have a few hours free on Friday and would like to check out the Sand Hollow area. First off, where is Sand Hollow? My wife's grandparents may have an idea but I would like to be prepared before we get down there. If either of you have free time on Friday a guided tour would cool. Plus, meeting fellow cruiserheads is allows nice.

Thanks,
Dave

Definately let us know what's up with the Cedar outting. We had heard something was going on but hadn't caught any particulars.

Sand Hollow is at the old Hurricane sand dunes. It is more than dunes though so don't let the names fool you. It is right next to Quail reservoir between I-15 and Hurricane. Us locals have a real fun back way in that takes a scenic route around the rim looking back towards St.George. I'll see if there is any way I could make it out on fri. I'll also check with a few friends about it.

I'm not going to be able to make it down for the Cedar City run with the Wasatch Cruisers, but there's plenty of people in the club headin' down. I'm sure they won't mind you southern boys hookin' up with 'em for some wheeliln'. Here's the latest info on it:

"We are meeting for breakfast at the Market Grill, just south of 200 North on
Main Street at 8:00 am. If breakfast isn't your thing, please meet us there
at 9:00 am. We'll size up the group and head out from there. Our plan is
to meet for dinner later at a place called Rusty's."

This is for this Saturday, Sept 18th.

Also, FWIW, the WC is planning on running the Glitter Gulch Gambol this November. My Cruiser should be in good shape to run down there for that if all goes as planned.

-Ferg-

Ferg is spot on with the latest update for our Saturday run. We are meeting Henry Brimmer, of the Landcruiser Calendar fame, to lead us around. Should be fun. If you are able to join us, just look for a group of guys clothed the fine "Birfield" line (or as my wife says, "look for the guys bull’s-eyes on their hats and shirts".

It will just be me and my little family checking out Sand Hollow on Friday. Not sure how much time we will have as my wife will want to spend time with her grandparents. Let me know if are able to free up some time and we will meet you over there.

Dave

Thanks for the saturday info. I'll try to get the boys together for some play time. Friday is a work day for most so I don't know what will happen but I think a couple of us can play. I work for myself so I just need to get permission from myself. Hehehe ;)

Hammerhead, I sent you a PM regarding my trip to St. George.

Dave

Hey, guys, anyone there?

Back from Kansas. Man is it flat out there. Sheesh, I'm glad to be back in the mountains. Anyway It's about time for another southern run. The run we did a month ago was great fun. Let's go again.

How many are going to the Glitter Gulch Gambol down in Mesquite, Nev?

Good opportunity to hook up with our Nevada Cruiser bros...

Anyone?

There's a bunch of us trying to figure out right now if we can do it. Hopefully figure it out this week. My stance is if my Cruiser is ready, I'm heading down to it; and if it's not ready, but others are going down, then I'm atleast along for the ride.

-Ferg-

Cool, I'm looking forward to it as well. I'm in the same boat as far as getting ready. I may need to hitch a ride as well but haven't given up yet.

Wanted to try my new 38.5s but need so many mods I don't know if I can get done in time.

Went to the waterfall in Manera wash to see what kind of cool erosion mods were performed by the big rains. Some of the roads out got hosed. The creek came right over the culverts and carried off a good share of the road. The entrance is slightly changed due to sand shift and rolled boulders but nothing serious. I was stoked when I saw the waterfall though.

The easy line is still easy. I like showing off and doing it backwards.

The intermediate line is still doable but the approach is improved a bit. By improved I mean tougher. Some of the small stones that were sort of paving the approach were ripped out leaving it almost a foot deeper. You'll need a bobbed tail to get a truck through there now. FJ40s will still have no trouble.

The tough line is tougher than ever. That boulder we were tip toeing up on is sunken about 2 feet so there is no help getting over the undercut. All the approach area was washed out and filled part way up with sand so there is no base to get good traction on.

We'll try it again when it dries out enough. :D

Sat. after T-day gathering

Some of the local Toyota guys and some other friendlies are gettin together to see what Sand Hollow has to offer by way of Rock Crawling We are meeting at the Washington Dam @ 9AM on Sat morning. Once we've joined up and aired down we'll tear over the top of the park to the main entrance and see what's up. I've never been there when it wasn't an adventure to say the least. And it's usually really fun too! This will be the 1st time for a lot of us since it became a State Park
If you haven't driven in it before, red sand is way different from the more tan colored sand up north and over in CA and NEV. Pioneers called it 5-spoke sand because 5 spokes on the big wheels of their Prairie Schooners would be covered with sand.

Last edited:
Uinta Mts.

I'm in North Salt Lake best place to go wheeling besides down south is Uinta Mts. up by Mirror Lake Biway. Uintas is the most mysterious mountain range I've ever seen definately the coolest place :cheers: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom