Using, not burning oil. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I lose about a quart every 3k in my '96 with 130k. I looked at my oil last night with a hair over 3k on it and it was carmel in color.....very clean. My father, a BMW man, was very impressed as I showed him the stick. I think it shows a very clean running engine with that color at 3k on the oil.

Sounds good, my 40's oil is definatly not caramel in color with 3k miles on it :-\. I just wish I could figure out where that oil is going. A compression check could provide some clues couldn't it? Low compression, with oil consumption would probably mean that it is burning the oil, correct?

Oil leaks out somewhere or is burned in combustion, not much else can happen to it.

Oil fumes go out the PCV along with other gasses. Just look under a semi diesel motor. There is a pipe from the crank case that vents the crank case. Semi's dont use PCV. You will see oil fumes coming from that pipe. That is why we(autos) have PCV to burn the oil vapor. I wounder how much oil goes out the PCV? I wounder if different oil vapor off at different temps? If you are using oil, try a different brand and heaver viscosity oil
kurt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom