Updated! Thinking about fordyce.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So Kieth are you on call for the Wknd of the 16th. No wheeling? I have the wknd available for the rubicon. Right?

Nope!!!
I'm OFF CALL for rubicon weekend!! :)

Ya I ran it last year with them on the rockin into the night run. It was a free for all with rigs dropping out right and left. I ended up helping one ot the rigs get thru part of the way after he broke his axle-the trail leader just split and told him someone would be by in the am to help him to meadow:confused:.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I have had good and bad experiences with people at Cal4Wheel, but I strongly believe in what the organization is trying to do and since they are relying on volunteers I probably give them more credit than they deserve sometimes. If I had the experience you had after forking over that kind of money I would not be anxious to go back again either.

Maybe flows will be lower at the end of summer. Jereme and I went up a couple of months ago and I crossed the water with 32s.

Mark,

You and I will be the ONLY landcruisers on that run!!
My friend dusty is STOKED about running it for his first time. He got an atlas for the event.

BTW...

It must be rough to try and figure out which rig to take!!!! :flipoff: :)

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I have had good and bad experiences with people at Cal4Wheel, but I strongly believe in what the organization is trying to do and since they are relying on volunteers I probably give them more credit than they deserve sometimes. If I had the experience you had after forking over that kind of money I would not be anxious to go back again either.

Maybe flows will be lower at the end of summer. Jereme and I went up a couple of months ago and I crossed the water with 32s.

Wow it sounds like I am a real winer. Truth is i still had a good time. I mean heck I was wheeling Fordyce;p Trk is certainly an oppurtunity to wheel it when you can't get someone to go with you. If they had offered the Friday night run again thats where I would be this wknd. Wheeling at night is a whole other experiance and I love it with the coolness the rock lights and the whole space mountain feeling.:cool:

Ready for Rubicon even if the crusiers are out numbered.:cheers:

I lost my go pro into the crossing at committee :(

LOL

But we had a TJ with us on 35s on a 30 and a 9" locked/locked that ran from meadow to the crossing and back up and only had to winch on WH4 on the way back up?

Keith and I were up there last weekend too. Trail was in really rough shape and we picked up a lot of trash. I'm not going to complain about a trip to Fordyce but these aspects were definitely disappointing.

^^^So how about the rest of the story and yep, we are going to need pictures...

Jack

Great run!!

Sort of a small group that I was fortunate enough to get invited in to.
First night we wheeled down to the first crossing where Dave and Jen had a bead on a BITCHIN little secluded camp spot right on the river.
We got up the next AM and leisurely woke up, packed and headed down the trail.
Not too long after that, I was coming down a relatively flat, easy section of trail and I heard a "SNAP" accompanied w/ no steering. Broke a pitman arm. We got the rig off the trail which happened to be at probably THE BEST place one could break on that trail.... Flat, soft ground, under the trees and next to the river.
To make a long story short... Rusty Dan and Jeremy were called and a plan of action was formed. Worm met up w/ Dan to pick up dand pitman arm after he (worm) had contacted uncle Jerry w/ FOUR different pitman arms. Harry wheeled out to get worm and they arrived at camp around 1230 am.
The next AM, we got matti patched up and we all decided to continue on.
Harry found a rig that he wanted to do a feature on and they agreed to meet at the bottom of WH 1.
Dave made a stab at WH1 and broke a short side axle. He didn't have one, so he decided to wheel the rest of the trail in 3 wheel drive. I've gotta say... He was a ROCK STAR!! He had to take a tug now Nd then, but he wheeled like a PRO despite the loss of one limb.
That's about all the carnage that occurred.
The trail is still spectacular, but as Harry said.... It's CHEWED UP and VERY DISRESPECTED by the wheelers there now. There was SO MUCH TRASH laying around!!! Each of us picked up at least a half a bag of trash.
The flows were WAY DOWN. that was a nice, actually.
We went out committee crossing. That was my first time through there... WOW!! That was just as hard as the rest of the trail.
Harry made everything look easy, of course. Dave and Jen... I was super impressed w/ them.
She has her own rig which is a Sami buggy that was OPEN FRONT and on 32's.... She rocked that lil thing. The two of them were so in sync w/ each other... They were just really great people.
I had a friggin BLAST despite the break and embarrassment and really can't wait to go again!!
That was the HARDEST run I've ever done. It's a tough trail, but last year when we ran it... It didn't quite live up to how hard everyone said it was. It was tough and challenging etc, but I was expecting much harder.
This time....FAAAAAAWK!! It was WORK getting through and made me eat those thoughts.
I just hope wheelers WAKE UP and start respecting it or this trail will be closed in a heart beat.

image-349438547.jpg

image-1687844552.jpg

image-925087557.jpg

image-2577332837.jpg

image-2112544099.jpg

^^^So how about the rest of the story and yep, we are going to need pictures...

I wasn't really working (except the one feature on a J**p LJ) so I did not take a lot of photos. I try to drive or to shoot photos, when I try to do both I usually don't do a good job of either.

I was secretly kind of grateful that Keith broke (shh don't tell) because instead of us all being in our own vehicle I got to spend some time with him and with Jereme, which was the highlight of the trip for me. We were already planning on camping all weekend so no harm, and the fix was good enough that he drove Matilda home on the freeway!

Great run!!

Sort of a small group that I was fortunate enough to get invited in to.
First night we wheeled down to the first crossing where Dave and Jen had a bead on a BITCHIN little secluded camp spot right on the river.
We got up the next AM and leisurely woke up, packed and headed down the trail.
Not too long after that, I was coming down a relatively flat, easy section of trail and I heard a "SNAP" accompanied w/ no steering. Broke a pitman arm. We got the rig off the trail which happened to be at probably THE BEST place one could break on that trail.... Flat, soft ground, under the trees and next to the river.
To make a long story short... Rusty Dan and Jeremy were called and a plan of action was formed. Worm met up w/ Dan to pick up dand pitman arm after he (worm) had contacted uncle Jerry w/ FOUR different pitman arms. Harry wheeled out to get worm and they arrived at camp around 1230 am.
The next AM, we got matti patched up and we all decided to continue on.
Harry found a rig that he wanted to do a feature on and they agreed to meet at the bottom of WH 1.
Dave made a stab at WH1 and broke a short side axle. He didn't have one, so he decided to wheel the rest of the trail in 3 wheel drive. I've gotta say... He was a ROCK STAR!! He had to take a tug now Nd then, but he wheeled like a PRO despite the loss of one limb.
That's about all the carnage that occurred.
The trail is still spectacular, but as Harry said.... It's CHEWED UP and VERY DISRESPECTED by the wheelers there now. There was SO MUCH TRASH laying around!!! Each of us picked up at least a half a bag of trash.
The flows were WAY DOWN. that was a nice, actually.
We went out committee crossing. That was my first time through there... WOW!! That was just as hard as the rest of the trail.
Harry made everything look easy, of course. Dave and Jen... I was super impressed w/ them.
She has her own rig which is a Sami buggy that was OPEN FRONT and on 32's.... She rocked that lil thing. The two of them were so in sync w/ each other... They were just really great people.
I had a friggin BLAST despite the break and embarrassment and really can't wait to go again!!
That was the HARDEST run I've ever done. It's a tough trail, but last year when we ran it... It didn't quite live up to how hard everyone said it was. It was tough and challenging etc, but I was expecting much harder.
This time....FAAAAAAWK!! It was WORK getting through and made me eat those thoughts.
I just hope wheelers WAKE UP and start respecting it or this trail will be closed in a heart beat.

What is it with you and pitman arms??? I have never in all of my years seen anybody break a pitman arm other than you. See Keith, you really are special. :flipoff2:

Great pictures by the way. Too bad about trail conditions in both trash and it being chewed up. I hope we can get it back together as a trail.

I wasn't really working (except the one feature on a J**p LJ) so I did not take a lot of photos. I try to drive or to shoot photos, when I try to do both I usually don't do a good job of either.

I was secretly kind of grateful that Keith broke (shh don't tell) because instead of us all being in our own vehicle I got to spend some time with him and with Jereme, which was the highlight of the trip for me. We were already planning on camping all weekend so no harm, and the fix was good enough that he drove Matilda home on the freeway!

No worries, I'm just glad you were able to fix it and still have a great trail run.

Jack

Harry,

That was really great to sit and chat for like 6 hours!!
You and I do really have a lot in common.
Harry and I solved ALL the worlds problems in a no holds barred conversation to and from truckee.

Jack,
RIGHT!? The reason I DIDN'T get a trail spare for this rig was because I thought the FIRST one was a TOTAL FLUKE and I'd never need one again!!!!
I was actually pretty Effin pissed I broke a second one.
Have one en route from Luke. Hopefully I can BUY the one from uncle Jerry that's on the rig now and keep it for a spare.

Ok guys the flows are below 100cfm :)and we have three weekends before our meeting to set a trail run to fordyce for October.

So is anyone up for a short day run to fordyce, maybe to 1st water and back or in at commitee and out at meadow. Can't believe it is middle of sept and I haven't run this TRAIL YET!:mad:
Heck I would even camp friday if someone wants to go up early.

Too hard to run by myself:eek:

Oh and Kieth what is that image in your rearview mirror??

It is freaking me out. Looks like a alien space ship or Ghost ship.

I have no idea what that is... I think it's just granite.
As far as a run....
I was thinking about a camp run to WH1 and back w/ a camp along the way out. Dusty really wants to go.
The reason for that is I'm just worried about his axles and limited resources w/ a small group.
A run from staging area to committee would be a really tenuous run on d30/35 combo IMO and a first time run through.

Ok sounds great.:D I am available the next three wknds. I love that campsite just before WH1 for friday(?) and then I would probably bail unless it was the first week in OCT. Then I can camp both nights; with the man pass I have been working on.

I might solo out Commitee if the timing works.:eek:

Oh and Kieth what is that image in your rearview mirror??

It is freaking me out. Looks like a alien space ship or Ghost ship.
That's his shoulder and forearm, or granite, same diff. :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom