Updated! Thinking about fordyce.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Jes sayin... :)

image-3875435275.jpg

I think about Fordyce a lot, it's my favorite trail.

Sent via the ether from my candy bar running ginger bread

I'm thinking I wanna DO IT!!
Most AMAZING trail I've seen!! Flows 140-150...
This needs to be discussed on tues.

I was up there with Jereme about 6 weeks ago and the water was really low but the trail was as tore up as ever. I'm sure that Dave with the Early Bronco would be interested in joining you Keith if you are looking for someone to run with.

I was up there with Jereme about 6 weeks ago and the water was really low but the trail was as tore up as ever. I'm sure that Dave with the Early Bronco would be interested in joining you Keith if you are looking for someone to run with.

I've been reading that its pretty chewed up....

^^Which is a real shame. Like others, it is one of my favorites and I really miss it. Not sure if it will ever be passable for a "normal" rig again.:crybaby:

Jack

What do you consider "normal" Jack? I ran it last summer in my full bodied pickup (albeit on 37s with dual cases). You could easily do it in your Rubicon on 35s, especially after Trek. It does seem to be the new place to be for the hardcore/giant tire crowd though now that there is more law enforcement on the Rubicon.

Jereme and I were up there in a Tracker on 32s! The results were not very pretty though...

What do you consider "normal" Jack? I ran it last summer in my full bodied pickup (albeit on 37s with dual cases). You could easily do it in your Rubicon on 35s, especially after Trek. It does seem to be the new place to be for the hardcore/giant tire crowd though now that there is more law enforcement on the Rubicon.

Jereme and I were up there in a Tracker on 32s! The results were not very pretty though...

So it's in worse shape than last year, Harry??
I get what jack is saying about normal... I'd assume 35-37 in tires, steetable type rigs like most of us have and not the linked truggies on 42's??
Has it swung the other direction that most of our rigs wouldn't be able to make it??
Been reading some carnage reports on pirate. Not sure how those driving, wheel though.
Guess you just don't know till you run it.

I didn't really think that it looked worse than last year, but we didn't even make it to Winch Hill 1 so who knows. We saw a lot of breakage too, but I felt that it was more a result of poor maintenance on those linked truggies than breakage due to tough trail conditions. The last time I was up there (about a month ago) we didn't even get on the trail because everyone I was with broke on the access road to the committee crossing!

That access road is no joke anymore. I stretched and broke a brake line just getting to the water. 7 of the 12 rigs we were with dropped out due to breakage or inability to make it over an obstacle. I would have been out if I had not had a spare brake line which I fixed but didn't have good brakes the rest of the trail due to not taking time to bleed them.

I get butterflies everytime I run this trail. Your bound to have problems at some point. Just can't be to proud to take a strap or put your winch to use. The days of getting over every winch hill without a winch will be rare.

FOF has talked about having several lines hardcore and modified friendly. I know they have eye balled winch hill 3(the one with the squeeze). Have been some roll overs and concerns for safety.

Still love this trail--we may just need to get better as these trails get harder.

Was disappointed with what they have done to parts of the "con":bang:. Big sluice is a total diappointment. They are turning the trail into a disney run--place a rock here and oh maybe there. What a joke. So I will never complain a trail is to hard--I'll just cinch up my strap and grow some bigger ones and pick a line.:hmm:;p

We discussed doing Fordyce as a Club run in Early September. Details and an official announcement to follow.

FOF just posted a deal that they were gonna be upping the flows to 300cfm to drain the lake for work from today through the first week of sept.
for me... That seems pretty fast!!

Sorry been out of town and away from a computer.

A DD rig on 35's that doesn't look like a raisen would be what I would consider normal. Body damage, 37's and above are a little bigger/beat up/trailer queen is what I would consider not normal and more appropriate for the trail based on what I have seen/heard.

Jereme told me about the Tracker run, sounds like it was quite the event.

Jack

Not that long ago a "normal" truck was SUA on 33's with open diffs.

Is it any surprise the trail is changing when many DD rigs are rolling on 35's with factory lockers and bolt on lifts? Half the Rubicons I see around town would have been considered Hard Core just a few years ago.

It's killing me that the water level will be down for trek and I have no plans to run the Fordyce this wknd.:crybaby:

It wouldn't take much to twist my arm for a jaunt from committee crossing Friday night, up to Meadow lake and enjoy the proceedings of the S. trek. on Sat.

Any takers:hmm: Lets talk about this:)

I wish I could go mark, but I'm hosed on call for the rubicon run and a Shasta trip the weekend after!!
Hopefully we can get something going before winter!!

It wouldn't take much to twist my arm for a jaunt from committee crossing Friday night, up to Meadow lake and enjoy the proceedings of the S. trek. on Sat.

Personally I consider it bad form to run the trail during Sierra Trek. This is Cal4Wheel's big money maker event. Just one man's opinion...

Ya I ran it last year with them on the rockin into the night run. It was a free for all with rigs dropping out right and left. I ended up helping one ot the rigs get thru part of the way after he broke his axle-the trail leader just split and told him someone would be by in the am to help him to meadow:confused:. The whole "run" thing fell apart with only 4 out of 13 rigs making it to the mexican food party by 2:00 in the morning. So I hope they put my 170.00 to good use. The sad thing about it was that only four of the rigs on the run had paid-the rest were pals of one of the trail bosses. So the four that paid made it with the trail leader that was assigned to them. How is that for Karma(one with a broken axle). The others may have made it but not til after 3:00 when I left the fiesta(?). This year they cancelled the run for lack of interest in prevoius years.

Just wish we had more control of the water level so we could wheel when we wanted. 300cfm is to scary for me:eek: I don't disagree with you Harry..........just you know:hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom