Unusual aircon system.. Who manufactured it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is what I have. no visible manufacturer stamps that I can see. Looks Identical to the one in post #'s 20 & 22
IMG_20140116_123552.jpg
IMG_20140116_123543.jpg
IMG_20140116_123144.jpg
IMG_20140116_122943.jpg

Last edited:
Here is what I have. no visible manufacturer stamps that I can see. Looks Identical to the one in post #'s 20 & 22

Great stuff!

This thread contains a lot of good pics and information about these AC systems now thanks to all these contributions.

:clap:

PS. The more the better!

Here is a pic of an AC unit I picked up. Best I can find, it is a dealer installed unit made by Clardy Manufacturing out of Texas. Pic is from the original for sale add, I can take a few more if anyone is interested.
Clardy AC - interior 1.jpg

I have a similar set up that came out of a fj55 i wrecked. The box around the condenser it a slightly different shape being from a 55 series but other wise it went to the heater in the same fashion as shown on yours. One i have is Nippon Denso unit. sticker on the window said Nippon Denso air. will see if i can dig up a picture of the unit.

Last edited:
JohnnyC alerted me to this thread.

Here are some pics of the one from the downey catalog that he posted,

I'll post a few more when I get the unit out of the 40
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1402891110.880501.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1402891125.330906.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1402891142.263765.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

Well I like the one in the first post the best. Very simple, someone should re-produce a duct with an evaporator in it that goes in between the original fan and heater unit. We don't need a temp control knob, just an on and off. Switch the heater to vent, flip the AC switch and turn on the fan. Rather than an expansion valve a fixed orifice tube would be simpler with a pressure switch. Another idea is to take the original rear heater and have the ends converted to an o-ring type connection which would allow you to run freon through it instead. In all seriousness you might be able to get away with not even converting the ends. The evaporator part of an AC system is low pressure anyway-like 30 psi.

JohnnyC alerted me to this thread.

Here are some pics of the one from the downey catalog that he posted,

I have a old Hicky catalog with this style unit. It's from 74. Besides not have a later bucket cruiser at the time I didn't have the money to buy one either.

Well I like the one in the first post the best. Very simple, someone should re-produce a duct with an evaporator in it that goes in between the original fan and heater unit. We don't need a temp control knob, just an on and off. Switch the heater to vent, flip the AC switch and turn on the fan. Rather than an expansion valve a fixed orifice tube would be simpler with a pressure switch. Another idea is to take the original rear heater and have the ends converted to an o-ring type connection which would allow you to run freon through it instead. In all seriousness you might be able to get away with not even converting the ends. The evaporator part of an AC system is low pressure anyway-like 30 psi.

The liquid line into the coil is higher pressure plus when off the system equalizes which is well over thirty PSI. If you want rear air it would work much better with a coil and fan mounted high. Low works well to heat but would not cool well.

What do you mean by coil? You mean the evaporator? What coil are you talking about? Yea I forgot about equalized pressure, 80psi is a lot for the heater, that would be too sketchy unless you tested one first. But would be cool and very simple if you could make it work. Yes up high would be better I agree but it all depends on how far you want to go I suppose.

Sorry old A/C guy here from the southwest. With the heatpump being the common stationary equipment used around here and the evaporator being the condenser in heat mode I simply used coil to refer to evaporator coil.

My mate Pete @84TROOPY has that same a/c unit @Zimmi in his 11/84 HJ47. Our government [at the time] telco Telecom took delivery of the truck from new, and it's identical to yours. Except the switch is up on the dash fascia to the left of the 4WD light.

My mate Pete @84TROOPY has that same a/c unit @Zimmi in his 11/84 HJ47. Our government [at the time] telco Telecom took delivery of the truck from new, and it's identical to yours. Except the switch is up on the dash fascia to the left of the 4WD light.
They both feed directly into the heater unit but It looks like Zimmi's has some kind of add-on adaptor to the heater unit so that air can directed. Mine is just the stock unit. From memory mine is a Sandon compressor.
Zimmi, where are you hazards, fan and wiper switches?

Yup mine is a sandon compressor as well. I picked up a factory Nippon denso ac unit today I'm thinking of swapping it out because the current setup hasn't run since Iv had the vehicle because it is missing the pulley to run the compressor etc

Here are the rest of my switches

image.jpeg

Yup mine is a sandon compressor as well. I picked up a factory Nippon denso ac unit today I'm thinking of swapping it out because the current setup hasn't run since Iv had the vehicle because it is missing the pulley to run the compressor etc

Here are the rest of my switches

View attachment 1265458
Won't you still need a pulley for the ND?
FWIW, my man told me the Sandon units are very good and that you can still get kits to overhaul them.

I got all the pulleys I need with the new system. So potentially could keep the sandon compressor but the one I got with the nd system has just been serviced. I'm a little while off putting it in so will see how it pans out

I know I'm only a year or two late but I have this ac in my 84 hj47 and have the documents that came with it.

I have one of these units about to go into my BJ42 which I picked up on ebay. Also in our 4wd group we have 2 other vehicles fitted with the same system. Work good and without the need for an extra blower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom