Unusual aircon system.. Who manufactured it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Take a look at these pics:
AirConditioningGreg1.jpg

AirConditioningGreg2.jpg

AirConditioningGreg3.jpg

I thought I'd seen most things associated with 40-series cruisers but I've never seen an inline AC system like this before.

The evaporator uses the OEM blower/fan as you can see.

Greg in New South Wales (where all those terrible bushfires are at the moment) came across one over there and sent me these pics today. (Thanks Greg.)

Does anyone know who manufactured these and whether they were popular.
AirConditioningGreg1.jpg
AirConditioningGreg2.jpg
AirConditioningGreg3.jpg

Bump..

Has anyone seen one of these before?

I have one something like I plan to use in my FJ45 pickup. It for a LHD model. Mine has a internal blower which I'm guessing you use to boost the OEM blower. I did not receive the switches so need to figure that one out. I remember a few years back another one like mine was on mud. Since I only see two wires in this one it is either a single speed blower inside or that is for sometime of sensor to control the compressor but I doubt that. Back then it would have been a sensing bulb connected to a rheostat to control the compressor.

I have seen a couple like that in Adelaide at my friend's wreckers but never one working. Both I saw used those big Chevy compressors....can't think of the name of them....
Clever but they use a lot of space in the foot well.
One I saw on one of those conversion trucks from wa and one was an fj40 -77, I think. Both were petrol.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies.

If I understand Greg (the guy who bought it) correctly, it comes from a 1982 LX model and he says he can't find anything at all to identify it.

Now ... You mention "controls" Johnny. Well the photos show none. So that's very interesting.

Of course the normal blower unit serves as the fan so we don't need controls for that.

And one could put a simple switch on the dash to control the compressor's magnetic clutch (supplied from the blower fan switch to ensure the compressor can't run without the blower). But most automotive A/C systems include a thermostat and some sort of hidden "evaporator de-ice control".

:hmm: So I suspect the electrical connector on top of the large plastic enclosure is probably the de-ice thermostat that you're meant to run in series with the switch for the magnetic clutch.

I think that setup would work fine because "air temperature control thermostats" never really serve any useful purpose in a vehicle that's as poorly sealed as a 40-series landcruiser. (When you turn on the AC you generally want the most cooling you can get..... end of story)

So perhaps the manufacturer never supplied any fancy "control panel" with this setup because it's probably unnecessary.

I wonder where the condensate drain connection(s) is/are?

Be interesting to see a photo from underneath..

:beer:

PS. I suspect the manufacturer is (or was) an Aussi company Chamba.

Last edited:
Genuine Toyota, installed in the Jap factory. The rotary switch to control it looks exactly the same (and functions the same) as the A/C switch in a new 70 series. The other Nippondenso units you see that are mounted in the passenger side footwell were fitted at the Toyota dealers, who then installed the ND aircon stickers with the install date on the firewall.;)

I have something similar but not exactly the same. Another member here (73tlcv8) has this same one that is operational in his rig.

3kd5.jpg

herbs said:
Genuine Toyota, installed in the Jap factory. The rotary switch to control it looks exactly the same (and functions the same) as the A/C switch in a new 70 series. The other Nippondenso units you see that are mounted in the passenger side footwell were fitted at the Toyota dealers, who then installed the ND aircon stickers with the install date on the firewall.;)

I don't agree.

Thanks Herbs...

I was looking on toyodiy and did not find this style of ac unit... do you know what model and destination the ac was common in? I am assuming AU and EU

Yeah. I can't find it either..

i wonder if this is it?
88300-60152 NEW SOUTH WALES SPEC

You could be onto it there Johnny. (But unfortunately this part number doesn't lead me to any official Toyota pics of this unit.)

I have something similar but not exactly the same. Another member here (73tlcv8) has this same one that is operational in his rig.

3kd5.jpg

Thanks for posting it here...

I don't agree.

The mystery thickens............... and I hope Greg is watching.

Because he was losing interest in this AC system in the belief it wasn't OEM... And now ..... well ... I'm sitting on the fence.....

:beer:

On both my '83 US spec fj40 and my '84 Aussie spec lx, the Nippon Denso aircon came with the 1.5" wider radiator/triple main pulley (with which non air con rigs were not fitted) and idle kick up on the carb together with wiring for the air con which is attached to the harness using the same tape Toyota used throughout, routed above and behind the heater in such a way as would have required removal of the heater, radio and much of the wiring; highly unlikely anywhere other than Toyota City.

Further, I bought my'83 when it was 6 years old from the original owner and had the window sticker, which did not indicate it had been other than factory-fitted. The hole through which the air con ran in the bulkhead was painted at the cut edges (which appeared stamped rather than cut) and I know the rig was factory paint.

Finally, the two rigs I've seen with the above air con unit were pre-79, which was before air con was officially offered by Toyota on the 40 series and used GM compressors, which seems an odd choice for a factory-fitted unit.

That is what I meant by 'I disagree'. But this is just my opinion.

On both my '83 US spec fj40 and my '84 Aussie spec lx, the Nippon Denso aircon came with the 1.5" wider radiator/triple main pulley (with which non air con rigs were not fitted) and idle kick up on the carb together with wiring for the air con which is attached to the harness using the same tape Toyota used throughout, routed above and behind the heater in such a way as would have required removal of the heater, radio and much of the wiring; highly unlikely anywhere other than Toyota City.

Further, I bought my'83 when it was 6 years old from the original owner and had the window sticker, which did not indicate it had been other than factory-fitted. The hole through which the air con ran in the bulkhead was painted at the cut edges (which appeared stamped rather than cut) and I know the rig was factory paint.

Finally, the two rigs I've seen with the above air con unit were pre-79, which was before air con was officially offered by Toyota on the 40 series and used GM compressors, which seems an odd choice for a factory-fitted unit.

That is what I meant by 'I disagree'. But this is just my opinion.

Thanks heaps Chamba... You opinion is highly valued too!!

I'm just going to email Greg now to advise him to take a look at the debate his purchase has sparked.

:cheers:

Could very well be an addon dealer option ... Just as early cruisers has eaton heaters offered by dealers as seen in toyota service bulletins and the external power boosters... Come to think of it ... I wonder if I had seen these in one like that :hmm:

I have some service bulletins on file .... I'll need to take a lookie at work next week... Left my flash drive there :meh:

I'm certainly leaning towards that Johnny. (ie. It being an Australia-wide Toyota-dealer option with a local Australian manufacturer) ..

Here's what Greg replied to my by email just now ....

----- Original Message -----
To: Tom
Sent: Saturday, October 26, 2013 11:23 AM
Subject: Re: Debate over your AC purchase

Hi there Tom, cheers for that had a quick look, the bloke who sent it up reckons it is factory and seems a good bugger, it just seemed after market, as found no diagrams in any of the years in the toyota site, also the electrical plugs seem after market. There are no identifying marks in any of the molding. If it was orginal I wonder why they changed to the huge unit they went too, as this seems a awesome set up.
Unfortunately I don't have enough of this system to fit this unit and he is trying to sort a complete unit. Another reason thought a bit primitive was the evaporator just sits in the molding and denso tape seals and holds it from jiggling.
The compressor that it came with was Nippon but may be off something else?
There is no control unit with it, he said there is a fan control rheostat but I am not sure where it goes, and would think it needs a control unit some where?
I am pretty sure the two ends of the plastic moldings plug straight into the orginal fan outlet and the heater control unit, but cannot compare over here.
Well seems it may well be orginal shame I don't have the complete set up,
Cheers Greg

On 26/10/2013, at 8:58 am, Tom wrote:

Hi Greg.

In case you haven't been following it, take a look at the debate your AC purchase has brought on.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-seri...rcon-system-who-manufactured.html#post8877563

It could be ex-factory if Herbs is right!

Cheers - Tom

There are no marks on the molding... However... There could be a blk letter stamping on the evap and also Nippon condensor ... He should check those ... Then we could cross reference the part numbers to see what they came from

mystery AC

I have this similar system installed in my truck. I put this system in when I put the 3fe in the truck. The evaporator connections are male flare fittings. I converted to the o-ring style hoses from the 62 using adapter fittings available from advance auto and other places.

The original expansion valve had a manual setting control for the dash but the small tube was broken so I just installed a regular txv.

The fan control is a 4 position switch (off-lo-med-hi), it requires a hot connection to the battery. This switch also supplies 12v to the compressor clutch and the ECU for idle up.

I found a cheap like new condenser on ebay, it is about 13" high x 23" long. It has male flare connections.

I used the receiver/dryer for the 62. The dryer clamp is from a mini truck I had laying around. I fabricated the mounting brackets for the condenser and the dryer.

I used the two long hoses from the FJ62 without modification. The short hoses were made up using the correct ends, one being the flange that bolts to the compressor. A local shop in Wilmington does a good job making these.

One short hose goes from the compressor to the top of the condenser, the next short hose runs from the bottom of the condenser to the dryer. A long hose goes from the dryer to the evaporator at the firewall and the final long hose runs from the evaporator at the firewall to the compressor. I put a few ounces of ester oil in the two coils, dryer and compressor, pulled it down then charged with R134a.

It all plays well together, it puts out cold air. In my opinion, I think the temperature control is not required for this application. I just turn it on high.
ac install 009 small.jpg
ac install 001 small.jpg
ac install 002 small.jpg
ac install 007 small.jpg
ac install 008 small.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom