Unimog 406 Camper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.duiser.com
Unimog 406 Camper
Some background on this project, it was used as a snow blower by Washington state since new, then was used for fire fighting purposes on private party. We acquired it and now it will become a pop top camper. While the 406 wheel base is short and so is the bed. The bed was extended when it was used for firefighting.

The basis for the camper is a pop top tent trailer which will be placed on top of storage compartments and boxed on all sides. The unimog cab was painted prior and the camper box will be paint matched once finished.

All surfaces and finishes will be replaced or improved the interior of the camper will completely replaced with new surfaces, floors, counter tops and cabinets.

THE GOAL
We want this to be the ultimate go anywhere "base camp", the 406 is not designed for the road or highway use for long periods of time. It has 24 gears and 4 transfer case ranges for OFFROAD USE. This is a perfect for someone who is a hunter/ fisher and who has access to large amounts of land and wants a go anywhere base camp. With tons of storage, solar power, fresh water holding tanks and generator hook ups this vehicle can be off the grid for a very long time.

Unimog 406 Camper

• UNIMOG 406
  • POP TOP CAMPER
  • 15,000 HYDRAULIC WINCH
  • 10,000 TOW HITCH
  • LED LIGHTS THROUGHOUT
  • SLEEPS 6
  • CAMPER HEATER
  • CAMPER PROPANE STORAGE
  • PROPANE GRILL
  • 30 GAL WATER STORAGE
  • GENERATOR STORAGE
  • GENERATOR HOOKUP
  • INVERTER
  • KITCHEN SINK
  • KITCHEN STOVE3
  • ROOFTOP VENT
  • ROOFTOP SOLAR PANELS
IMG_20140925_113906459.jpg

IMG_20140929_104958462.jpg

IMG_20140925_135019370.jpg

IMG_20140929_105007520.jpg

IMG_20140929_113847257.jpg

those dokas are the kings. the 406 is about the only other truck platform I'd go down the rabbit hole for...besides the cruiser, of course.

dang, every so often I tell myself I should get a Mog or a Pinz.... :)

and then reality sets in again.... :(

good for you to do it!
Diesel, hopefully?
Fantastic truck!
Have you considered getting or building a sturdier living space than a popup, especially if you need to put a lot of work into it? I think the tent sections are basically a weak point in the design. (And it gets old opening and closing up the thing every day.)

Last edited:
pinzgauers look cool, but next to a cruiser or a moggy, they come off as a toy..

a great big pop-up like Sonke did on his 40/80 would be the s*** on top of a Doka; the 406 seems right for the pop-top, or even just a hard shelled RTT above a kitchen/LR/Dining room set on the bed

Interesting choice. I've always wanted to fit an old 8' Alaskan Camper onto a Mog like that.

Looking forward to where this goes.

Last edited:
Looks like a sweet project. Love the Unimogs.

that looks like a lotta winch...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom