1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ultimate exhaust...

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by tiorio, Jun 7, 2003.

1. tiorio

tiorio

As most of you now know, I'm replacing a fair bit of my exhaust system (from the headers back). Ifin you was doing the same to your cruiser, what would be your 'ultimate exhaust'?

Here are the specs:

70% on road / 30% off
    Must meet CA emission laws
    More power!
    Can't be too much louder than stock but should have a better sound...

So boys (and girls if applicable), what to do? :dunno:

Cheers!

2. tiorio

tiorio

BTW: Thanks for all the help diagnosing probs and ideas with the earlier exhaust thread, you guys rock!

3. bjowett

bjowett Supporting Vendor

Whew, where to start.... I'm no engineer, and exhaust theory and design can get busy in a hurry, so I'll keep it short. Copy the design of the stock system with a few exceptions - The downpipes off of the manifolds are definetly an area where some gain could be had. Stainless mandrel sections of a slightly larger tube diameter down to some real hi-po converters, large internal honeycomb, 2 of em'. Two slightly larger tubes out of the converters back to a dual in Borla hemi/truck (don't know what they call them these days)or similar stainless straight through muffler, single 2.5 or maybe a 2.75" outlet back to a small stock style Borla/similar resonator and end it with the same tip outlet diameter.

4. tiorio

tiorio

So what are the CA laws regarding replacing the cats? Can I use aftermarket or no with factory still available?

Is the Y pipe a significant restriction or is the bigger problem with the muffler itself (assuming the factory cats have to be retained)?

Can I get Borla cans without buying the whole exhaust?

Seems the rigs exhaust system could net quite a few HP looking at the stock system, no?

5. BigMac

BigMac SILVER Star

Tiorio-
    Did you ever decide on an exhaust? I was over at Man-a-Fre (Simi Valley) a couple of weeks ago and looked at their stainless "cat back" system. They use it when doing turbo installs. &nbsp:Didn't pull the whole thing out of the box, but it looked like it was made of heavy gauge material and designed to flow better than stock. Not cheap at ~$500. The hard part for a DIY would be getting the original system unbolted from the cats or replacing them.

Has anybody installed this system?

Thanks, BigMac

6. tiorio

tiorio

Hmm, an option I hadn't researched much...

My only issue is that I gots the major problems of rust and I don't think the mated parts are a-comin' apart without a torch. I very well could be wrong and have started the PB Blaster treatment and will give it a shot this weekend...

Thanks for the info!

7. Guest

Guest Guest

BigMac-is that Man-a-Fre exhaust for an 80 series?--i didnt see it on the website so i am wondering,just saw listing for 40's....

tiorio--i am sure you can get a Borla muffler seperate,try jegs/jc whitney/borla website......

one another note,the borla website now lists their catback exhaust for the 93-97 1FZ-FE powered cruisers again(only the V8 system was offered for a while),and at 457.99 seems like a good deal(compared to spectors 750.00) for the quality they offer(WARNING,christo says the tip can be damaged by extreme wheeling)

doug

8. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Supporting Vendor Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    The Borla tail pipe can be modified to gain additional clearance. In it's original state it exits way below the bumper end. I stuck a few well placed wood blocks between the body and the exhaust, took my RH bumper end off and used a floor jack to do a controled upward bend of the tail pipe. I pushed it up almost 2 inches. It is now well above the stock tail pipe. I then took a 4 inch hole saw and cut a half circle out of the bottom of the bumper end and put it back on.

9. Beowulf

Beowulf

Here are some pics of C-Dan's Borla.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-B-

10. cruiserdan

Thanks B,

I forgot you had those........

11. tiorio

tiorio

Ahhh! So it's not the can itself on the Borla that causes the problem, but the tip! That makes a difference (a pic IS worth 1000 words, thanks B).

Of course the problem of the Y pipe still comes into play. I've still got a few CARB regulations to sort out before I decide ifin I have to go Kansas City rebuilt or fully custom. Any CA smog gurus out there?

12. Junk

Junk

Mainly OEM then just custom bend all the pipe up above the frame rails. who cares about sound or looks anyway :flipoff2:

.... saw a nice rhinolined 80 this weekend - prob wouldn't be able to tell the diff in the sound with that . :wickedslaptoface: :D

13. BigMac

BigMac SILVER Star

Doug -
    The Man-a-Fre exhaust was for an 80 series. Their part number FZJ80-3CB. According to their catalog it's a 3" system with aluminized tubing, and a stainless muffler. They offer a matching 3" cat for $375. Look under the "C" tab on their website. BigMac

14. DRTDuck

DRTDuck

C-Dan,

What is your feedback on the Borla? I have seen where others weren't that inmpressed with it (they were expectng more of a power change) once in stalled.

How about the sound, more than stock, but less than an Dyno or Flow?

Can this be a DIY job or would it be a good idea to take it to your local muffler shop?

15. Guest

Guest Guest

I got a quote for my BJ40. The Exhaust will go from the Exhaust Manifold to then exit infront of the rear right Tyre with a Straight Through(Hot Dog) Silencer(Muffler). Australian $150 -> $175 8)
    In Australia it is very exspensive for pre fabricated Exhaust Systems. :( But Custom is better anyway. :D

16. cruiserdan

DRTDUCK,

I happen to like mine. It is louder than stock in a fashion that is plesant to my ears. Some may not like it. I have not heard a flowmaster other than the audio clip posted on SOR. IIRC, the tone was similar. The muffler is smaller in diameter than the stock unit. Therefore it sits a bit higher. As far as a performance gain it's a difficult call. I do know that the exhaust scavenges better because I noticed a slight drop in boost pressure after the install. I have spoken with several people in the "know" and the consensus was the boost drop was caused by a freeer flowing exhaust. Dyno runs BY TRD have shown boost drops on engines after headers for example, but the engine still makes more power than before.
     I installed mine myself. A hoist is useful, also the tail pipe is a bit of a trick as the over-the-axle part is not "flat" like the stock pipe so you have to play with it a bit to snake it thru.
    I would not put one on a trail truck unless you bend it up like I did. You will surely smash it good and proper if you don't.
    I also like the fact that it is stainless. One doesn't generaly find generic stainless exhaust piping in must muffler shops. It certainly costs a bunch more but unless you smash it up you should only buy it once.

Dan.