Builds Uglina is Back Thread ('78 Mustard FJ40) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here are some crappy night photos.

Fudge-001s.jpg

Fudge-003s.jpg

Fudge-004s.jpg

Fudge-005s.jpg

TEQ, they're a popular target for thieves - don't let it out of your sight, and never leave it on the street.
They're very easy to swipe and the parts are easy to sell.

It's painful to see someone else driving my dream cruiser. :crybaby:

Mustard '78 FJ40. Perfect. Congrats.

Back to my original question:

TEQ said:
A PO had installed a weber/OME carb. The most recent PO had removed it and put the original factory carb back on. I noticed tonight that the air cleaner assembly is not bolted to the block where it should be. The two pictures below illustrate. Note the missing fastners. It *feels* secure, but clearly this can't be good, right?

bolts1.jpg

bolts2.jpg

I've looked more closely at this. Bull thought maybe the air cleaner was from an older model, and that is why the bolts don't align. I actually don't think that's the case...the air cleaner looks different than his because the intake tube is missing the flex piece and final "horn". But the air cleaner appears to be the same model.

But those bolts don't align, and no amount of torquing will get them to.

The PO also had the manifolds machined to fix an exhaust leak. I thought maybe they really ground down the manifolds such that the carb was closer to the block, causing the mis-alingment. They would have had to take off 1/3" or so for this to be the case, and looking at the manifolds they don't look that thin. So I don't think that's it.

I think the carburator is the wrong one for this model. This would also explain why there are two emissions tubes (those little rubber guys about 1/4" diameter) that are not plugged into anything. In fact the whole emissions stuff looks horribly disfigured :confused:.

So: Is it likely that a carb from an older model mounts the air cleaner slightly further to the right, causing the misaligned bolt holes?

TEQ,

Carb model shouldn't throw off the alignment of the air filter housing. I've swapped several carbs off and on and never had an alignment issue. One way we can figure this out is to swap my 78 air filter housing with yours and see if mine fits. I still think it is an earlier air filter housing, note that your housing doesn't have brackets for holding the vacuum lines and the extended intake.

I think you should take it off and make sure nothing is interfering with the alignment underneath the housing. Then take mine and try to make it fit. Shouldn't take too long and will give you a definate answer on what is going on.

One more thought? I could have a california model that has a metric crapload of smog equipment vs yours which is looking more like a federal version. Hence the lack of all the vacuum lines you see in my photo.

I'm sure somone can chime in and or post some engine photos.

bull said:
TEQ,
I think you should take it off and make sure nothing is interfering with the alignment underneath the housing. Then take mine and try to make it fit. Shouldn't take too long and will give you a definate answer on what is going on.

Good idea. I did take it off last night and it doesn't look like it can fit on the carb any way other than the way it is now.

Here's a pic of my engine. It's a 12/78 CA model.
Your carb looks to be a two barrel, shouldn't be the cause of the miss alignment. Maybe the intake exhaust man. was changed to an earlier year?.
engine.jpg

Robert, your engine looks sweet. I would love to get a set of high-res photos of it from all angles to use as a reference for cleaning mine up...

Do you know the details of the difference between the CA and regular models in '78?

On the manifold issue: anyone know if the manfolds from different years placed the carb differently?

I have more pics and will try to dig them up.

The CA model has a different exhaust manifold than the federal model. I don't think it changes the carb orientation though or they would have had to make a seperate aircleaner for CA only. Maybe the platform ( spacer) that the carb sits on has been changed on yours?
Doesn't look like it would take much to get things to line up.

If you need to, you can always come and look at my '78 for questions about stock configuration. I'm the only one that has worked on it since new and I know every bolt that has been disturbed on it. I'm over in Kitsap, if you happen to be passing this way anytime.

Can't tell if your air cleaner is original by the pictures. The passenger-side mount is not adjustable, but the mounts on the front and rear of the air cleaner are adjustable. You may just need to adjust them properly.

The CA/Federal differences are just in smog gear. The CA exhaust manifold was much larger to retain more heat and burn the exhaust more thoroughly. The exhaust head pipes and EGR pipes were also different due to the exhaust manifold differences. The placement of the carbs is the same.

Todd Bull.

Hi All:

Last August I replaced the '74 "F" carb on the '78 2F which resides in my '74 FJ40 with a Aisen 2F carb. I also bought a used 2F air filter housing, year unknown. It took a bit of wiggling and twisting but I finally got all of the bolts to line-up on the air filter housing. I gave up the first try; went back a couple of days later and finally figured it out!

BTW - nice looking FJ40! One should not call Mustard colored 40s "Turd" because there is a factory olive brown color which would be a closer match IMHO! But, being a 40/45 Series fanatic I like ALL of the factory colors! ;)

Good luck with the "new" rig!

Alan
Seattle

I pulled the air cleaner off tonight and armed with a bit more information, I am one step closer to understanding...and a plan.

The picture below is my carb. This is very clearly a '75 Aisan Federal carb (see this set of photos from SOR).

First, a seemingly stupid question that forum searching did not answer: Were Aisan carbs the OEM equipment on these trucks? People talk about them as though they were aftermarket, but then no-one ever talks about Toyota/TEQ carbs?

Second, seems to me that this carb is going to just cause me headaches. The truck runs ok as-is, but I really don't like the idea of having mis-matched parts. And when it *stops* running OK and *I'm* the one trying to fix it (being generally clue-less) it would be great if the pictures and descriptions in the repair manual made sense an matched what I actually had.

For now, anyway, I'm just trying to understand what I have. I'm not making any decisions. The air-filter is fairly secure sans-bolts, so it'll hold for a while.

My biggest concern is the vacume tubes. There is nothing connected to the nipple on my distributor. This thread indicates it should come from the carb somewhere. I can't find any thing obvious there. On top of that there *is* a tube coming out of the air filter assembly that is not attached to anything (I might have pulled it out removing the air filter assembly last night). I assumed 1+1 = 2 and it connected to the distributor, but after reading that thread I'm not so sure.

On top of that, there are 3 (three) tubes that terminate near the emissions "computer" thingy, but are not conected to anything at that end.

The good news is that this is a blast. My hands are greasy and I'm remembering things about working on engines that I forgot 20 years ago.:cheers:
FJ40 Purchase 067 Large Web view.jpg

bull said:
Another idea!

See if you can get the engine ID number. It is located on the passenger side of the engine on a flat plate. Then you can figure out if the engine is correct for the year.

Here is the engine id chart. http://www.sor.com/2fengine.html

Engine is orignal. # is 2F-323865 which falls right between September & December 1978.

Josie'sLandCruiser said:
Hi All:
Last August I replaced the '74 "F" carb on the '78 2F which resides in my '74 FJ40 with a Aisen 2F carb. I also bought a used 2F air filter housing, year unknown. It took a bit of wiggling and twisting but I finally got all of the bolts to line-up on the air filter housing. I gave up the first try; went back a couple of days later and finally figured it out!

Thanks Alan. Does your air filter housing have a place to connect a vacuume tube holder-clip-thingy? (mine doesn't, Bull & Robert's do)

Does it have the extension that protrudes via a flex tube to just behind the headlight? (mine doesn't, Bulls does)

Also, this air cleaner assembly has a hole in the bottom with some sort of spring loaded flap/valve mechanism. There is no tube connected to this hole (~3") and the flap is in the position such that clean air will come from underneath vs. the buisness end of the assembly. It looks like there is supposed to be some mechanism connecting to this flap, but none on my truck.

In the pictures Bull's truck (below), it looks like there is a heat-sheilded tube coming out of his...

Fudge-001s.jpg

Anyone?

Hello, I bought my first FJ40 at the age of 15 years old. It was a 71' with a factory soft top, it did not run the best. But after rebuilding the carb several times and painting it rattle can primer gray I was ready for the road when I turned 16. I had more fun in that rig than any 16 year old should in those days I groomed many of lawns.......But I have always had one and for the past 20 years I have some rare low mile late model 40's and then I had a wild hair and was in the right place at the right time when I found a Red 79 CCOT FJ40 and I bought it! I thought I had the one!

I could not get it to pass DEQ emissions here in Portland. So I brought it to work and have my master tech look at it ad he came to me a few hours later and told me that carb and emissions were incorrect. Sure enough the carb was an early version. The EGR and VSV's were all incorrect, I was stumped after doing research and reading how they selected thier 40's for restorations. I cost me a few bucks and alot of research to get it done. Mud was not online when this occured and but what a resource it is today! You can still but the 1980 model carb from Toyota and that is what I have on my 79 and should work on yours......Should.......I have a several complete air cleaner housings that have been media blasted and powder coated and all new parts installed. You are welcome to one if we can find out what version you need. i do know there is over 5 possible choices.

Here is a link to the CCOT I was talking about.

There are many folders to the left and should have pics you need.

Best,

Shane

Last edited:
Quick note, if you go down the folders in the link above you should find a folder named 1978 FJ40 Oregon, this is a one owner and the engine bay is 100% original and should have pics you need.

Best,

Shane

TEQ said:
In the pictures Bull's truck (below), it looks like there is a heat-sheilded tube coming out of his...

I'm getting smarter: I just figured out what all this is by looking at diagrams at SOR.

It's a hot air tube. Not quite sure where it' supposed to connect up to, but I'm guessing it's function is to enable hot-air to be fed into the engine when it's cold. Another thread indicates i can probably get along with out this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom