U-POL Tintable Raptor Lining Review (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I used black Raptor several years ago, and it's held up extremely well. I just bought some tintable Raptor, so that's why I am reviving this thread.

If I wanted to coat the underside of my fiberglass roof with Cygnus White Raptor, would I just ask the paint guy to mix up urethane paint like he would if I were painting the top of the roof with traditional paint instead of bedliner?

I used black Raptor several years ago, and it's held up extremely well. I just bought some tintable Raptor, so that's why I am reviving this thread.

If I wanted to coat the underside of my fiberglass roof with Cygnus White Raptor, would I just ask the paint guy to mix up urethane paint like he would if I were painting the top of the roof with traditional paint instead of bedliner?

Mix the urethane paint like it was to be used through a regular gun. Raptor Tintable Liner is designed to be mixed with regular urethane paint, color matched to whatever you want.

Mix the urethane paint like it was to be used through a regular gun. Raptor Tintable Liner is designed to be mixed with regular urethane paint, color matched to whatever you want.

Or is it meant to be mixed with just the tint. In other words, paint without the binder in it. I know it works well with regular urethane paint, but I think the color match will be better without the binder.

That's a good question guys, I'm not sure. When I went to have the paint matched to my factory color, they knew what I was using it for since I bought the raptor liner from the same place.

I'm not sure if Raptor is the same as Monstaliner, but Monstaliner says to use only the tint, no binders. I just finished doing my 55, tinted it Cygnus White. Used just the tint, with no binders and it turned out great. Matched perfect, IMHO.

Just read through this thread after hearing about Raptor from the local paint/body supply store (the guys there really like it too). John, how much did you spend to completely cover your truck, if you don't mind me asking? I'd still love to do an olive drab on my truck, and if covering the whole thing with Raptor tinted the way I want it is affordable then I'm sold.

Just read through this thread after hearing about Raptor from the local paint/body supply store (the guys there really like it too). John, how much did you spend to completely cover your truck, if you don't mind me asking? I'd still love to do an olive drab on my truck, and if covering the whole thing with Raptor tinted the way I want it is affordable then I'm sold.

Good question. I assume you're only going to do the upper portion of the truck not the under side, correct?

EDITED.

I used two kits to shoot all the white on my truck. I don't remember what each kit cost, but I do remember that the tinted urethane paint cost me around $100 for how much I used, and the shutz gun came with my Raptor Liner kits.

I'm seeing tintable kits of Raptor Liner on ebay for ~$150, so I'd expect to shell out somewhere around $400 for the materials you'll need.

Good question. I assume you're only going to do the upper portion of the truck not the under side, correct?

EDITED.

I used two kits to shoot all the white on my truck. I don't remember what each kit cost, but I do remember that the tinted urethane paint cost me around $100 for how much I used, and the shutz gun came with my Raptor Liner kits.

I'm seeing tintable kits of Raptor Liner on ebay for ~$150, so I'd expect to shell out somewhere around $400 for the materials you'll need.

Man that really ain't bad at all. If I can land myself a new job soon I might go that route. If not I'll be doing the sub-$100 Rustoleum paint job though :eek:

Do not get the binder for the paint. Just the paint itself, then put that into the liner can and shake well. Along with their hardner also. Been 8 years now on mine and still holding up great. Infact put it on the inside of my 40 also.

I want I want I want I want.

Looks like it would look great with a semi gloss finish in olive drab too. I sure hope I can pull off going that route, though with no air compressor I'll be rolling it on instead of shooting it.

Well, s***. You're right. Looks like I'm back to Monstaliner then for when I line my truck. That being the case, I'll just do the rockers and fenders below the body contour line in black like I originally planned, and just paint the rest of the truck.

Though, for the sake of curiosity, how many gallons would it take to completely coat the exterior of a long wheelbase Cruiser? I would expect just one gallon wouldn't quite pull it off.

Last edited:
Says the guy who sells monster liner :rolleyes:

The U-Pol Global website (makers of Raptor Liner) says you can roll Raptor Liner on. I'd take their word for it.

http://www.u-pol.com/product-cat/83/raptor™-bed-liner.htm

Just know that when you roll it on, you'll get a different texture than when you shoot it.

Actually when I looked on another couple of forums I saw some other guys at least recommending against rolling it on. So even though U-Pol says it can physically be rolled on, apparently spraying is by far the better way to go for the Raptor.

I really do like how it came out with spraying though. Nice even coverage. Makes me want to go ahead and invest in a good compressor (not that I didn't already want one).

I covered my 80 series with the U-Pol tintable and found that the color was no where near the darkness of the stock 97 Emerald green of my truck when applied. I used urethane paint as the tint. The tintable version of U-Pol is greyish in color and it makes sense that it will lighten any color/tint added to it. Also, I couldn't have added any additional tint unless I dumped some of the liner out of the bottle and still had room for the hardner and shutz gun.

I'm about to cover a white truck and I hope this isn't as much of a concern in white. If anything the greyish color of the liner would slightly change the brightness of the white.

GLTHFJ60,

How much white paint/tint did you end up adding to each bottle of liner? Did you have to dump out any of the liner to make room for the tint?

I covered my 80 series with the U-Pol tintable and found that the color was no where near the darkness of the stock 97 Emerald green of my truck when applied. I used urethane paint as the tint. The tintable version of U-Pol is greyish in color and it makes sense that it will lighten any color/tint added to it. Also, I couldn't have added any additional tint unless I dumped some of the liner out of the bottle and still had room for the hardner and shutz gun.

I'm about to cover a white truck and I hope this isn't as much of a concern in white. If anything the greyish color of the liner would slightly change the brightness of the white.

GLTHFJ60,

How much white paint/tint did you end up adding to each bottle of liner? Did you have to dump out any of the liner to make room for the tint?

Man, that is a good question. I want to say I used exactly a quart and a half of paint, tinted 033, total for all 8 bottles of white. I think I bought a pint initially, painted the doors, then went back and bought another quart. I remember filling the u-pol bottle a bit above the paint line with 033 urethane paint.

It's been forever since I've parked Moonshine next to another 033 cruiser, but when I park her next to a newer Honda that's white (neighbor), I'm reminded that my white is more of a cream color than a true bright white. Sitting by herself in a parking lot, she looks white to me.

Is that what you're looking for? I can try to find some receipts to get more exact numbers for you if you'd like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom