1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U-bolts, how tight?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Guest, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I am in the middle of putting on my sky jacker 4" kit on my 40 and was wondering how tight to torque the u bolts?

thanks

2. PHAT MAX

PHAT MAX

from haynes, 60 ft lb's

3. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

The Toyota manual says about 100 ft lbs. Mo is bedda.

4. Mavric1298

Mavric1298

Make sure to do each side evenly. If you just sit there cranking on one side, it will twist/not sit flat

5. pfry

pfry

Torque them up as described by the previous replies, then do it again at least 2 more times.
    Seems like the dang things stretch a bit with use.
    I got a couple of turns on each after a few miles.I had new CCOT U-bolts and springs.
    paul

6. woody

woody Internet Fireman Staff Member

Media:
    initial torque, 80 ftlbs. after 1 week, retorque. one month later, re torque again....

I've read 60-80-100 for u-bolts....not honestly sure which is correct. I've made a habit of overtorqueing mine...heh

7. Halo3

Halo3

I asked a similar question when I did my 4" Skyjacker lift. In the end I went with 90 ft/lbs. As nothing stripped, I'm assuming that the nuts & bolts are happy with it. :)

As Woody stated, re-torque them repeatedly. After my installation, I drove about 5 miles, and the next morning I ended up putting several turns on each & every nut. Since then, I have re-torqued them at least 6 different times. One thing that I can say is that each time I get a little less movement before the torque wrench clicks.

8. Mavric1298

Mavric1298

if they are loose, you'll feel it. The car will kinda twist when you aply power, happened after like 4 miles of driving, retorqued and went away

9. cruzila

cruzila

I hate that book

minimum 80 ftlbs. I try to get them to 100. If it feels mushy at 80 on used ones replace them. you know, it is tight and you keep turning it, then it clicks.

10. lndcrzr71

lndcrzr71

yo its about 90-95ft lbs :beer: