Two batteries, one tray? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm sure this has been tried - can you fit two optima batteries side by side in one tray? I seem to remember a post of someone with two batteries in one tray.

Cheers, Hugh

Hugh,
If memory serves SOR had a twin tray to mount twin batts in the rear area of a 40 but have never seen one for under the hood in an 80. Thinking about it though I can not see why it would be difficult to fabricate one if needed.
Dave :beer:

They'll fit CDN. It will be tighter than ######, but it will fit.

You don't want one on each side with more room for an isolator etc?

They'll fit CDN.  It will be tighter than ######, but it will fit.

You don't want one on each side with more room for an isolator etc?

I'm hoping that by putting them right next to each other that when I drop a nice big wrench on them I'll get a 'real good' short!

Having them close saves some hassel, but I do realize that I need to find a place for an isolator, switch etc. I though that this might be a quick fix.

Cheers, Hugh

Hugh,
I wanted to do this when I replaced my OEM with an Optima last summer. I measured and figured and measured and planned and there was no way that I could see that they would fit without some cutting of something. Maybe if they were stacked on their side or something.

Junk,
Can you post pics of yours or link us to someone that has done this? I have the 2nd tray now but I would still be interested in knowing how the heck they can fit two in the stock location.

-B-

B - it ain't easy. I DO NOT HAVE MINE TOGETHER! Mine are on either side - I'll find a pic or 3 of mine and post in the am. I didn't think it was the best option - but did toy with it.

Junk,
I was wanting pics or How-To's on putting two together. I couldn't figure out a way to do it and couldn't find anything that showed how, but that was 6-8 months ago.
-B-

I've also been thinking about trying to squeeze two Optimas in the stock tray on my 97. There are some posts in the 80scool archives sayin' that this can be done (at least in a 91 and 92). Among some of the other concerns mentioned, I'm concern about the weight capacity of the stock tray. Can it handle twice the weight in harsh conditions? Two Optimas is a bunch of weight (82.4 lbs combined for a red top and a deep cycle blue top). Just something to ponder.

Curran,
I wouldn't worry about the OEM battery tray holding 85lbs. On the bottom it is bolted to the fender and rests on the fender. It is bolted in several (6 I think) locations.

My guess is the weak link is the two hooks that secure the battery with an angled metal piece. We will need to rework that for the 2-in-1 installation so make your design more robust.

-B-

This is the picture I've seen. I'm not sure who owns the truck, but it looks like it must be an earlier LC given the location of the batteries.

LinkPhoto

I wonder if Optimas are the same size? I guess you could always place the batteries on their ends (although they may be too long = can't close the hood).

Cheers, Hugh

To duplicate that on a 93-97 the radiator overflow bottle would need to be relocated.
-B-

To duplicate that on a 93-97 the radiator overflow bottle would need to be relocated.
-B-

What I'm wondering is if it would work on the DS (for my 97) - were the earlier trays larger?

H -

The DS & PS trays are the same size.

R -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom