Twisted Splines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.cardomain.com
Well, I've been out wheeling 3-4 times since going 37's and 5.29's. So far I've blown up a Birf (replaced with Longs), and now twisted the splines on the short side rear shaft (e-locker). I'm not even that hard on the truck.

Luckily the splines twisted pretty close to the end (closest to flange) which still allowed the locker to disengage. Re engaging was a different story though. I was able to extract the shaft with no issues and a buddy (Delancy) graciously offered up a spare. Everything works great again, for now. Is this going to be a common occurrence or just a here and there thing? Guys with e-locks and 37's?

I know LT has a shaft mod in the works that eliminates the unnecessary splines that would perhaps make running this setup more feasible.

Opinions?

Mine:
E5FB813F-0E73-4A6D-A207-D29535F701CA-2415-000000695A2B7F2A.jpg

LT's
95578947-0439-478B-A179-FF00475B6BC1-2415-0000006AE66086CE.jpg

A common occurrence with the oem E-locker, Landtanks mod looks like a good solution, a more expensive step would be aftermarket axles or a different locker.

Won't the chromoly axles twist more?

Interesting find in the "Twisted Spline" thread.

landtank's depicted twisted axle

image-98668196.jpg

Christo's reply to photo.

sleeoffroad said:
For the record, the twist that Rick's is showing is not the one that makes the axles get stuck in the differential. It seems his was twisted outboard of the locking collar of the e-locker.

You may stipulate your desire to either continue running e locked, or willingness to abandon, to save time in this thread.
image-98668196.jpg

Last edited:
Just a belief but I think the chromoly axles twist much less, and send that shock load to the next weakest link which I found to be the hub studs and pins. I sheared a couple sets on the rear axle after going to Poly Perf chromo's.

Just a belief but I think the chromoly axles twist much less, and send that shock load to the next weakest link which I found to be the hub studs and pins. I sheared a couple sets on the rear axle after going to Poly Perf chromo's.

In my case I thought the poly performance axle was worse. I believe it swished more and in a less severe situation. To remove that shaft it took three of us, two with crow bars and one with a three pound sledge and the shift fork broke in the process.

Ok sorry I think we are talking about two different kinds of twisting....

The kind I am thinking of is elastic twisting, where the axles has some give but does not deform. So is transmits all the shock load to the hubs.

The kind you are talking about is taking it past the plasticity and to a point where it is permanently deformed.

I can't talk about the type you are talking about, just the first kind but in either instance I agree that the poly performance axles aren't an upgrade without doing more work.

So based off of the various responses, would it be safe to say that the LT shaft (assuming it pans in testing) is about the only option for keeping the factory locker in the rear operating properly?

Was this incident possibly a freak deal, or is it bound to be repeated with my truck's current configuration? Seems like things have chaged dramatically since swapping to 37's.

Maybe I just need an open carrier with an Aussie back there?

here is a pick of a production shaft after turning.

You'll see that the roots of the splines are still visible. The shaft has been turned enough to allow the collar to rotate on the shaft in that section but now the collar will be held in place better to aid in installing.
turned elocker shaft 003.jpg

Is it possible to send axles to be machined?

sure. I'm letting Josh at AJIK handle the logistics of this. We want to offer a swap program but if axles can be shipped directly all the better. I'm sure my shop could receive them directly for faster turn around.

Also multiple shafts would likely save on shipping.

Seems to me the guys that are twisting axles are all running 37's, but I am sure someone will prove me wrong on here.

I realize its a different axle but my 91 axle is doing fine with a welded diff and 37s. Just had the shafts out

Last edited:
I realize its a different axle but my 91 axle is doing fine with a welded diff and 37s. Just had the shafts out

It's the e-lock design that puts additional forces on the shaft. Many people have run other lockers with 37's and no issues.

Now you got me thinking this could be my culprit.
Ive wheeled for 4+ yrs on 37s without issue but now its suspect.
If it is twisted I believe it would of happened GSMTR last year on 35's and stock gears.

Were you ever able to get yours locked again to remove the shaft?
thats the issue im having now and didnt want to pull it open and not be able to get a replacement shaft back in place (or is there a secret to this too now?) Guys at the fire department are wondering about the joys of super slow motion donuts :D

of course i have sold my stash of short side axles here (GSMTR :D), anyone wanna trade for a long?

HISTORY: Last my rear quit locking and front works fine. Use to be a 90* turn in reverse and it would lock and unlocked with a little delay but no drama. now i got no lock no matter what in back, front still works fine. Had rebuilt actuator thinking it could be the issue but now i wanna pull the axle and take a look

I had to pull it unlocked. If you remove the plate with locked indicator switch on it, you can manipulate the lever/collar so you can re install the shaft. It was simple. I don't think the collar has enough room to fall off the lever with the shaft removed, but I could be wrong. LT probably knows the answer to that though.

it sounds like the splines have twisted outboard of the collar.

In both my cases the splines had twisted and when I selected the locker to unlock the collar moved out but not enough to clear the center section.

Then when I started to drive the forces applied to the collar from being slightly engaged and the wheels trying to rotate at different speed the collar was jammed onto the twists.

You'll know immediately if this is the case as the shaft will only slide out a little before stopping.

If you can get the shaft out it is highly likely that I can save it by having it machined. The twisted part is what I'm removing to prevent this from being a problem.

I'm confused, but believe clarity can be established in the answer to one question.

In the event that the axle shaft breaks when locked ( or unlocked, for that matter ) does this
( being the process of machining the splines, as described ) allow for shaft removal without cutting that housing apart?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom