Twine On Board Shower Install (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Now to hook up a shower head on a 10 ft hose. I bought it at an RV store as they ones that shut on and off for water conservation (in case I am using a 5 gal can)...

Just be aware and warn the family, if you shut off the head and then turn it back on at first the water is lukewarm, but then the slug of really hot water that has been sitting in the heat exchanger reaches the shower head. You don't want the water touching any skin at that point 'cause it can be scalding hot!

Great set up, Romer. Bring a long garden hose with you to Rubithon and you can pump water out of the river. You'll be lots of people's new best friend. Oh, better bring some extra gas too.

Very nice! A shower with an enclosure will help entice my wife to camp with me.

You will probably be able to pay for the whole set up at the Rubithon. Just charge the Lexus boy $10 each to let them use warm water to rinse thier :princess: each day.

You will probably be able to pay for the whole set up at the Rubithon. Just charge the Lexus boy $10 each to let them use warm water to rinse thier :princess: each day.

He is a lexus :princess:................................

:whoops:

Just be aware and warn the family, if you shut off the head and then turn it back on at first the water is lukewarm, but then the slug of really hot water that has been sitting in the heat exchanger reaches the shower head. You don't want the water touching any skin at that point 'cause it can be scalding hot!

Great set up, Romer. Bring a long garden hose with you to Rubithon and you can pump water out of the river. You'll be lots of people's new best friend. Oh, better bring some extra gas too.

Gents,

Couldn't you simply recirc the water into a bucket to the ideal temp then simply shut off the car? After that just use the pump to pump the water from the bucket straight to the shower head.

If you don't wanna recirc the water into the bucket, then collect the hot water into a bucket from the lake/stream/etc and then shower w/o worrying about scalding yourselves!

You can use one of those fancy collapsible bucket for this.

:D

Gents,

Couldn't you simply recirc the water into a bucket to the ideal temp then simply shut off the car? After that just use the pump to pump the water from the bucket straight to the shower head.

If you don't wanna recirc the water into the bucket, then collect the hot water into a bucket from the lake/stream/etc and then shower w/o worrying about scalding yourselves!

You can use one of those fancy collapsible bucket for this.

:D

You can

I had no scalding issues during my test last night. using the heater temp to control it. When you shut it off and turn it on there is a moment of hoter water, but it didn't scald me.

You could recirc into a bucket as well, then you have to move the pump from the heat exchanger to the shower head.

FWIW if you get a pump that is rated to at least 75psi you can set up a high pressure/low volume spray head (I used a penny with a 1/16" hole drilled into it as my pressure reducer washer inserted into the shower head/handle).

I mounted a 30-amp relay and a small on/off switch at the shower head...and have found, to eliminate the scalding issue and also to sustain a more even shower water temp (I use a Helton Hot Water heater...the water coming out is about 165 degrees...which is obviously too hot for bathing but OTOH it heats a couple gallons of shower water up pretty darn fast which is why I pump the shower water directly out of the bucket), to recirc the water in a 5-gallon bucket via the engine heat exchanger to the desired temp then pump from here for the shower...and easy on/off to conserve water as required.

Although my goal was to get down to .5gpm the best I can do with 75psi is .75gpm...still pretty good...mine provides plenty of pressure and relatively low volume for water conservation. If you have unlimited water source then this is moot ;) (however the higher pressure is still nice).

You could recirc into a bucket as well, then you have to move the pump from the heat exchanger to the shower head.

I assumed that your water "pickup" will be in a stream/lake so moving the pickup head would be easy.

Question: Could the heat exchange unit be mounted under the truck where the rear heater lines are? Or does it have to be installed under the hood. I live in AZ and the need for a rear heater is about zero. I have been trying to figure out how to utilize that space.

You can mount the exchanger where ever you want. Some use the rear heater controls to set the temperature so that would work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom