1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

turn signals

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by milesstarkey, Feb 25, 2003.

1. milesstarkey

milesstarkey

i have a 71 fj40 with 69 front turn signals. they only have one filament, and the electric shop here says i have to replace the whole assembly to get parking lights and turn signals, two filaments in the bulb = different sockets. how did the 69 have parking lights and turn signals? or what year started using double filament bulbs?

2. woody

woody Internet Fireman Staff Member

Media:
    aren't the parking lights on a 69 on the front bib below the headlights??

3. zetasig

zetasig

Woody is correct, I have a 68 bib and a 70 bib, both have the parking lights there. :)

4. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

The 74 definately had the dual filiment bulbs with thesmaller square housings. I think they changed to the big honkin t/s-running lights in 75.
    I'm sure I have some of both if you're interested.

5. Design311

Design311

Gumby, I need a front turn signal for a 73 FJ40. After you hook milesstarkey up I would be interested in getting a turn signal if you have one for sale. Mine is wasted, the housing and everything is pretty much shot. Let me know. Thanks!

6. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Rats! I just looked. I've got four lenses with the chrome rings and four of the relector plates that have the sockets and all that, but no housings for either type.

Bro. Andy donated a ton of stuff to Windy City. I've gone through most of it and taken pics, but I need to find time to get it all on a web site and start selling it. All money raised goes to resurrecting WCLC.

7. allanwcoty

allanwcoty

Years ago I took the lower marker light being discussed and switched the Pigtail to a dual element pigtail and remounted the whole thing a little below and to the inside of the headlights to keep wires from being ripped out in the brush. Not sure if it's legal but got me by till the 40 died.

8. milesstarkey

milesstarkey

the wiring shop told me i have to change the socket, which i don't think you can do in the turn signal housing. if i'm wrong someone tell me how. please. these are the turn signals on the front fenders.

9. rusty40

rusty40

You could upgrade to 72 fender turn signals which do have dual fillaments ,and with minor wiring they could be adapted to work

or you could get the original running lights back in the front bib

go to a parts store and get some little round orange lights that fit in the bib if you cant find any originals